Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

As a counter, retaining salary for any length of time is a constant reminder and this gives you more of a clean slate. We will be in great shape to add players or sign kids longer term if they earn it even with the Skinner burden. Retaining salary for another pick? Not really worth it. 

And by the team we have to pay these kids Skinner will have a lot less years left on the contract. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

As a counter, retaining salary for any length of time is a constant reminder and this gives you more of a clean slate. We will be in great shape to add players or sign kids longer term if they earn it even with the Skinner burden. Retaining salary for another pick? Not really worth it. 

Again, yes, maybe not for a pick. My stance is more so against taking a hard-line "no" on retention. Presumably if Vegas offered, I dunno, Mark Stone, we might consider retention. Obviously a team isn't offering a guy like that but my point is, I wouldn't adjudge "not retaining" as a greater asset than anything I could get in a trade, without thoroughly exploring that avenue, first. 

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

His point that the Sabres could have gained more by retaining though isn't a biased viewpoint - it's a common practice from many "good" teams in this league. In the end it bothers me less that they didn't retain, not retaining may very well have been the best option all things considered - what rubs me the wrong way is more that it apparently was a very hard "non starter". I think finding out what COULD have been had from other teams, keeping more teams in the loop, would have made sense. Just allows the accumulation of more info.

It is a common practice.  But in this instance it may not have been "best" practice.

The elephant in the room on retention is any salary retained essentially ups Skinner from being an unmovable $9MM 3rd liner to a $10-14MM 3rd liner.  That will be a huge chunk of the cap tied up in a 3rd liner regardless of how much the cap goes up.  Were it not for the Skinner albatross, maybe retention was in play.

And we don't even know (and we won't) how/if the Vegas deal would've changed with retention.  It's possible that the Sabres saw this package to be more valuable in 3 years than the 1 with another expensive quality piece added going along with the extra retention that Eichel's contract retention would entail.

Though Adams told people salary retention was a non-starter does not mean Adams wasn't told by the other GM's what the offer would become w/ retention.  (He very likely wasn't shouting "na na boo boo, can't hear you" when the other GM's did make their offers. 😉 )

Edited by Taro T
Friggin' auto correct. Unmovable, not unlovable. (It even tried it again. Autocorrect really doesn't like the guy.)
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Internet said the Sabres were going to have to take a salary dump to make this work. The Sabres did not take on a salary dump

The Internet said the Sabres were going to have to accept conditional picks based on Jack’s health/games played. The Sabres did not have to take on such conditions.

The Internet said the Sabres were never going to be able to trade Eichel until his neck was fixed. The Sabres traded Jack Eichel before his neck got fixed.

The Internet said no one was giving up a top prospect for a broken Eichel. Peyton Krebs is arguably a top 10 prospect.

The Internet said the Sabres were never going to get anywhere near their ask of 4 1sts or the equivalent. The Sabres got two former 1sts who have so far justified that status, an actual 1st and a 2nd.

Interesting.

And yet....

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There's a human side I subscribe to in this situation, as well. YMMV on that

I get that.  That's why I prefaced that with "I hate to say it but..."  But it's also a business.  And I'm not even sure Krebs was on the table until last night.

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm not sure if we buy it. It's been posted often though that Krebs WASN'T on the table, so that respected analysts are saying contrary to that I think does serve an appropriate balance

As per my source Krebs was the final domino to fall.    KA held out and was rewarded.     

Brisson knew Vegas was close but they needed a little bit of a nudge to cross the finish line.     It's highly likely the CGY rumor was sourced by Brisson and tweeted by Kevin Weekes (former teammate of KA) to give it just enough legitimacy to force Vegas's hand.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Friedman just told Marek that Krebs was always a player Buffalo targeted and that he was put on the table about a week  ago.

He spoke to Jack face-to-face this morning. Clips coming later.

Interview was scheduled before the trade happened and he thinks it would have gone a lot differently if it had not. Suggested the desire to avoid that may have helped close the deal.

Not sure the bolded is clear.  Might you expound?

🍺

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

It is a common practice.  But in this instance it may not have been "best" practice.

The elephant in the room on retention is any salary retained essentially ups Skinner from being an unlovable $9MM 3rd liner to a $10-14MM 3rd liner.  That will be a huge chunk of the cap tied up in a 3rd liner regardless of how much the cap goes up.  Were it not for the Skinner albatross, maybe retention was in play.

And we don't even know (and we won't) how/if the Vegas deal would've changed with retention.  It's possible that the Sabres saw this package to be more valuable in 3 years than the 1 with another expensive quality piece added going along with the extra retention that Eichel's contract retention would entail.

Though Adams told people salary retention was a non-starter does not mean Adams wasn't told by the other GM's what the offer would become w/ retention.  (He very likely wasn't shouting "na na boo boo, can't hear you" when the other GM's did make their offers. 😉 )

But the article I linked detailed that GMs were kept out of the process in totality from early on in the process..

I don't see the logic here. Isn't Adams being given kudos for holding out to get Krebs? That's what we are saying, right, that Krebs became available later?

Surely, retention being a "non-starter", in Adams' words, very likely means potential options were left unexplored? Surely teams ruled out early in the process could have upped their offers, as well?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

As per my source Krebs was the final domino to fall.    KA held out and was rewarded.     

Brisson knew Vegas was close but they needed a little bit of a nudge to cross the finish line.     It's highly likely the CGY rumor was sourced by Brisson and tweeted by Kevin Weekes (former teammate of KA) to give it just enough legitimacy to force Vegas's hand.

In the article I linked, it was proposed that it was leaked by Adams to make Vegas up, and they did not.

Krebs was added about a week ago, it's been said in thread 

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interview was scheduled before the trade happened and he thinks it would have gone a lot differently if it had not. Suggested the desire to avoid that may have helped close the deal.

Sounds like blackmail.... wonder what Jack would've had to say that hadn't been discussed already?

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I saw the tweet the Sabres put out thanking Eichel and wishing him luck. Has anyone seen a reciprocal tweet from Eichel thanking Buffalo and likewise wishing the Sabres luck?

Not yet.  It would be the proper and normal thing to do but it's got to the point where I don't really care.  It's a little sad I feel this way.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I get that.  That's why I prefaced that with "I hate to say it but..."  But it's also a business.  And I'm not even sure Krebs was on the table until last night.

Ya was just answering the question you literally asked me

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.