Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

lol such bs

The Sabres lost because they brought in trash coaches and drafted like crap while giving a terrible defender 25 minutes a night and starting AHL level goaltending. 

Definitely Eichel's fault for that. LMFAO

You're definitely not wrong.  I didn't say Jack was THE problem.  Big part of it with his superior leadership, attitude and superior defensive zone play.....yep.  

But its very possible, both of our takes are true.  

Good luck Vegas.  

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo Sabres handled this breakup poorly

Eichel handled the breakup poorly

Actually I disagree.  Eichel's first agent (already forgot his name... Ford?) was an ass but other than that it was a question of two parties that wanted to go their separate ways and did what they needed to facilitate that.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

We should have been building like KA is building now, 5 years ago.  But instead we traded futures that would now be maturing for vets that are all gone except for the two cap hits.  Given where we are, I think Adams is doing it right.  He's following the McBeane formula, adapted for the NHL world.

The NHL and NFL are completely different in terms of roster composition.  In the NFL, having an elite QB gets you down the road.  There is no position in the NHL like that, although 1C is perhaps close.  And the Buffalo Sabres don't have one, but hope 1 of 3 guys (Mittelstady, Cozens, Krebs) are that player.  Adams did not want to answer when this franchise will be competing during the PC, but they need to be competing for a playoff appearance next season.  Anything less is trending toward failure. 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

No more bad locker room.   Fair or not, Eichel will always be associated with a bad room.  Not saying it’s all on him, but some of it is.    It’s already better without him, and with Granato running the bench it should even get better.  

Adams and Granato now have players who want to be here.  We'll see how much closer that gets them to winning on the ice.  

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Vegas is winning the Cup. Jack is MVP.

I see no other outcome.

Terry Pegula would spontaneously combust, especially if the returns end up near the ROR trade.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

The only way to get the haul you wanted was to let Jack get ADR.  I understand why the Sabres didn't want to do that; no matter what surgery Jack has, there is some risk that he won't return to form or in the worst case won't ever play again.  You either take the risk associated with him having the surgery or you pass it on to the next team which means the return is lower.  The return for the Sabres is considerable in my opinion, for a player that hasn't played to his capabilities in a year and a half.  My gut feel is that the drop off for Jack pre-injury to post-op will be on the order of the drop off experienced by Tim Connolly when he suffered the concussions.  Still a good player but not as good as he once was.

Right on the money. Altho I really hope he exceeds expectations.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Thorny said:
39 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

There is a chance that he will never play again.  There is a chance he will never play at the high level he once did.  There is a chance he won't play for the entirety of his contract.  You talk about lottery picks, but Jack's health is also a lottery pick.

Literally was making the point in my post that there is risk on both sides, so..

Yes, Jack is hurt, but so is Tuch. There's a lot of uncertainty built into what Krebs, and the pick, become. 

The uncertainty (risk) you refer to is about Krebs and the pick.  And after you said,

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I wish we would have decided to let Eichel get the surgery, and kept him.

You said,

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I see him returning to health, considering his age and the treatment he'll get, especially when considering what remains on his current contract.

Which makes it sound like you don't see any risk atoll.

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just in time for the playoffs.  What a way to restart your career.

That's a tough time to join a team.  Everyone's playing at 123% and you're at "start of training camp" speed.

20 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

The NHL and NFL are completely different in terms of roster composition.  In the NFL, having an elite QB gets you down the road.  There is no position in the NHL like that, although 1C is perhaps close.

Elite goaltending.  As Hasek and Miller proved, that one position can steal you a lot of games and cover up a lot of flaws.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

The uncertainty (risk) you refer to is about Krebs and the pick.  And after you said,

You said,

Which makes it sound like you don't see any risk atoll.

That's a tough time to join a team.  Everyone's playing at 123% and you're at "start of training camp" speed.

You've quoted my 1 post in disagreement about 4 times now, anything else while we are here? Haha. It doesn't make it sound like I'm saying there is no risk, you are just taking it that way, which has been a common theme with you and my posts of late.

"Yes, Jack is hurt, but so is Tuch. There's a lot of uncertainty built into what Krebs, and the pick become."

As I've already explained, that was my statement. What I am saying is that the uncertainty that is *obviously* there with Jack, in an objective sense, is there on the other side of the trade, too. Everyone knows there is uncertainty on Jack's side of things, that he's hurt. 

I then mentioned my view that in MY opinion, I think he comes back healthy.  I quite clearly separated my post into points about the deal from a market standpoint, what I personally would have done, etc. 

Which was, I guess, pointless. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Jack Eichel, character issues

PR stunts.  You have no idea what character traits he showed in the dressing room. 

I think character exhibited in the community and character exhibited when actually playing hockey are two different things.  The only feel for any character I got from Jack on the ice was the sense of frustration he had with the team, and with himself when he wasn't performing well early last season.  I got a better sense of on-ice character from Reinhart than from Eichel.  A better sense of on-ice character from our current A's, even when Okposo was underperforming.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You've quoted my 1 post in disagreement about 4 times now, anything else while we are here? Haha. It doesn't make it sound like I'm saying there is no risk, you are just taking it that way, which has been a common theme with you and my posts of late.

You're right, I'm just taking it that way.  I think what I gathered from the words you wrote did not match what you meant.  With your explanation I see I misread your intent.  And you're also right.... I picked your post apart in several consecutive posts.  That was a ***** thing to do; I should have read your post, and then written a single response instead of doing several posts that no doubt felt like hitting you on the head with a hammer mentally. 

I handled the whole conversation poorly.  Sorry about that.

2 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

I believe the last time we traded for an injured player was Evander Kane.  Hopefully the return doesn't resemble that mistake!

I think there is no common thread here.

Just now, The Ghost of Yuri said:

You're right, I'm just taking it that way.  I think what I gathered from the words you wrote did not match what you meant.  With your explanation I see I misread your intent.  And you're also right.... I picked your post apart in several consecutive posts.  That was a ***** thing to do; I should have read your post, and then written a single response instead of doing several posts that no doubt felt like hitting you on the head with a hammer mentally. 

I handled the whole conversation poorly.  Sorry about that.

there's no apology necessary. if i worded it poorly I worded it poorly. My mistake was assuming everyone thought everyone else assumed there was risk in Eichel's surgery. 

Just now, Thorny said:

there's no apology necessary. if i worded it poorly I worded it poorly. My mistake was assuming everyone thought everyone else assumed there was risk in Eichel's surgery. 

Reminds me of the expression:  "Listen to what I mean, not what I say!"  🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.