Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

On 5/30/2022 at 7:54 PM, Broken Ankles said:

1.  Maybe Drury knew what Jack was worth and was negotiating based on the value he saw.

2. NYC/ Bos/ Toronto - all big city fans are annoying.

3. Rangers have more drafted players on their roster than Tampa or Carolina, not including Fox and Giorgiev who weren’t drafted by the Rangers but you could say are home grown.

4. agreed.

I dislike both organizations but just hate Carolina a little bit more.  The original 6 things plays a small factor in the Rangers favor and of course the 2006 playoffs and me paying up on a $100 bet against a North Carolinian whom I was working with at the time sets it over the edge.  

Does it matter? Is anyone going to solve Vasilevskiy?

As for #3 there. While more drafted player are playing for them, most of their big contributors, not in goal, are not.

Panarin, Zibanajad, Trouba, Fox, Copp, Vatrano are all acquisitions. 3 of which forced their way there.

Home grown players are Miller, Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, old man Kreider, Lindgren.

Besides the old man, their roster is backwards to how most top teams are made. Most top teams draft 3/4th of their core and add external pieces around it to fill in the depth. They are very odd in that regard

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/29/2022 at 10:46 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Say what you want about him but 11 points in 7 playoff games on a bum hip. Sabres need that sort of warrior. 

Having said that (sure to be scoffed at comment) Bruins falling fast, that's the playoff spot we can shoot for. 

Bergeron status unknown. Marchand out through November. Grzelcyk out to start the season. And now add McAvoy to be out through the first half of the season (6 months https://theathletic.com/news/bruins-charlie-mcavoy-shoulder-out/WRlnWpBcZxLP/ ) with shoulder surgery.

They can definitely sign a bunch of folks and LTIR these guys, but then they run the risk of having to move big contracts out to reactivate these players. And... it's one thing for a loaded TB team to lose Kucherov all season and make the playoffs. It's quite another if Bergeron retires and Marchand and McAvoy are out for half the season in a division with TB, TOR, and FLA already locking up the top 3 spots. VGK is now the cautionary tale.

Maybe Boston is fine with a mini-tank season and count on Hall to win them the lottery... but I don't believe for a second they'll be bad enough to compete with the teams that will be for-real tanking hard for Bedard.

Edit: But for the Sabres (and Wings/Sens/Habs too, I guess)...  there's a 4th spot open in the Atlantic... if you can also stay ahead of a wild card Isles/Caps/Jackets squad.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Bergeron status unknown. Marchand out through November. Grzelcyk out to start the season. And now add McAvoy to be out through the first half of the season (6 months https://theathletic.com/news/bruins-charlie-mcavoy-shoulder-out/WRlnWpBcZxLP/ ) with shoulder surgery.

They can definitely sign a bunch of folks and LTIR these guys, but then they run the risk of having to move big contracts out to reactivate these players. And... it's one thing for a loaded TB team to lose Kucherov all season and make the playoffs. It's quite another if Bergeron retires and Marchand and McAvoy are out for half the season in a division with TB, TOR, and FLA already locking up the top 3 spots. VGK is now the cautionary tale.

Maybe Boston is fine with a mini-tank season and count on Hall to win them the lottery... but I don't believe for a second they'll be bad enough to compete with the teams that will be for-real tanking hard for Bedard.

Edit: But for the Sabres (and Wings/Sens/Habs too, I guess)...  there's a 4th spot open in the Atlantic... if you can also stay ahead of a wild card Isles/Caps/Jackets squad.

Do I smell something cooking?

11 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's my thought too. With all those solid 100 point teams, this is the potential playoff spot up for grabs. I think Pittsburgh and Washington also have some question marks, but the Bruins look set to fall hard so if you can have a big leap forward season the potential to be next year's Rangers is there for the taking. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/5/2022 at 12:40 AM, PerreaultForever said:

the potential to be next year's Rangers is there for the taking. 

Also, who will be that team that does the taking?  Sabres?  Detroit?  Maybe Ottawa?  Possibly more than one?

Next season could be interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Also, who will be that team that does the taking?  Sabres?  Detroit?  Maybe Ottawa?  Possibly more than one?

I think free agency, and the draft (with any big trades made at that time) will go a long way to answering that question. Which of those teams will choose to build slowly, internally, and which (if any) wants to try to leap forward. 

We have the cap room to add 2, 3, even 4 key pieces. Big names even. But I really don't think we will. Just a feeling/guess. Goalie is of course the main issue we have to address. If it's just UPL/Anderson or UPL/Tokarski well, then it's probably best to lower expectations and think about playoffs in 2024. Personally, I really hope we make the moves and take the leap now.

• Like (+1) 6

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Until there is a legitimate NHL goaltender somewhere on the team it's not a conversation worth having.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

LOL

Friedman said on his podcast with Marek that the arbitrator still hasn’t Ruled on the Evander Kane-SJ wrongful termination case and that there is a strong chance that SJ will have to take Kane back at his old salary.

What a mess.

Egad.  That does not make sense.  IMHO, he clearly violated the behaviour clause of the SPC.

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

LOL

Friedman said on his podcast with Marek that the arbitrator still hasn’t Ruled on the Evander Kane-SJ wrongful termination case and that there is a strong chance that SJ will have to take Kane back at his old salary.

What a mess.

But how? He’s signed another contract with EDM in the interim. How can that work?

because you can be wrongfully dismissed and still seek employment elsewhere. I reckon it comes down to the written reason SJ gave for dismissing him. If they cite reasons that are not breach of contract then he may have a case? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, French Collection said:

Maybe his vision of Jack is being the next Bergeron.

So you're saying Cassidy is a moron? 🙂

There seems to be some truth to that rumour that Krejci didn't like Cassidy. Krejci is better at 2 way hockey than Jack, but he likes to let loose and play offense more. Might not be the reason, but has to be something to it. Cassidy also had a very low tolerance for defensive errors from rookies and prospects who got called up which was also part of why he was let go. 

I think Cassidy will bring in a solid defensive structure for Vegas and they will win hockey games, but it's not going to be what Jack wants, so it might be fun to watch that unravel. 

I didn't see this posted anywhere.  It's a good listen, Hockey Guy's review of Hutton's career.  Hutton did not work out for the Sabres but seemed to be a good character guy from the interviews I listened to.  I wish him well in his retirement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Digger said:

I didn't see this posted anywhere.  It's a good listen, Hockey Guy's review of Hutton's career.  Hutton did not work out for the Sabres but seemed to be a good character guy from the interviews I listened to.  I wish him well in his retirement.

Ah yes, was gonna post this.

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So you're saying Cassidy is a moron? 🙂

There seems to be some truth to that rumour that Krejci didn't like Cassidy. Krejci is better at 2 way hockey than Jack, but he likes to let loose and play offense more. Might not be the reason, but has to be something to it. Cassidy also had a very low tolerance for defensive errors from rookies and prospects who got called up which was also part of why he was let go. 

I think Cassidy will bring in a solid defensive structure for Vegas and they will win hockey games, but it's not going to be what Jack wants, so it might be fun to watch that unravel. 

If this plays out we’ll finally learn if winning or his own personal status means more to him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

There is no way in hell he becomes the next Bergeron. If he can get convinced to play a 200’ game without coasting, that is an improvement.

That's the most you can get out of him I think. It'll be interesting to see if Cassidy adapts to his game or sticks with his philosophy and Jack has to adapt to Cassidy's style (or demand out and so forth). Jack is definitely not going to turn into a Bergeron. He doesn't have the personality or character for that kind of selfless leadership and work ethic. Jack might adapt a little, sort of like Ovi did with Trotz but my money is on a personality clash and team disfunction. 

• Like (+1) 1