Sabres Training Camp Starts September 23rd

Brawndo

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If Thompson tops 15g and 30pts I will be thoroughly impressed because I think that is the very limit of what he can be. His game lacks urgency and is predicated on others getting the puck places he can shoot from. 

Only way i see that if he gets a Hockey IQ 

18 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Are we overlooking Zemgus Girgensons?

Only 27 and coming off a full year of rest he says he feels great.

I think his impact could be much greater than anticipated. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/zemgus-girgensons-excited-to-be-back-believes-sabres-rebuild-can-work/

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I saw it on Twitter. One of the reporter's feeds. I think Lysowski?

Don't suppose you could be kind enough to post a link.

So far have only found yesterday's Gold session F's.

Bjork - Mittelstadt - Cozens

Caggiula - Girgensons - Okposo

Peterka - Malone - Hayden

Pekar - Scarfo - Franco

As the Girgensons line is almost definitely the 3rd line, that implies Mitts' line is penciled in as line 1 as they've typically had the "odd" lines grouped together & the "even" lines grouped together.  Maybe Granato is working things differently than everybody since Ruff (w/ no data on Krueger as they kept the public away from the non-weekend "open" sessions under him, or at least said they'd turn people away and wasn't going to risk an hour+ drive to verify they were serious) but doubt it.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Don't suppose you could be kind enough to post a link.

So far have only found yesterday's Gold session F's.

Bjork - Mittelstadt - Cozens

Caggiula - Girgensons - Okposo

Peterka - Malone - Hayden

Pekar - Scarfo - Franco

As the Girgensons line is almost definitely the 3rd line, that implies Mitts' line is penciled in as line 1 as they've typically had the "odd" lines grouped together & the "even" lines grouped together.  Maybe Granato is working things differently than everybody since Ruff (w/ no data on Krueger as they kept the public away from the non-weekend "open" sessions under him, or at least said they'd turn people away and wasn't going to risk an hour+ drive to verify they were serious) but doubt it.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but lots of info in here, from yesterday and today:

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If Thompson tops 15g and 30pts I will be thoroughly impressed because I think that is the very limit of what he can be. His game lacks urgency and is predicated on others getting the puck places he can shoot from. 

Like Skinner?

Interesting lines

Skinner Cozens VO

Bjork Mitts Thompson

Asplund R2 Hinostroza

Caggiula Girgensons KO (if healthy)

I'm not sure I like Skinner and VO with Cozens.  I see Cozens as more goal scorer then playmaker.  The mighty mites line of Hinostroza, R2 and Asplund is interesting.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Notes: Adams said every player has received his doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. “That’s a great thing for us in terms of where we’re as we start camp,” he said. … Adams said defense prospect Mattias Samuelsson, who blocked a shot late in Friday’s Prospects Challenge opener, is week-to-week with a lower-body injury. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/zemgus-girgensons-excited-to-be-back-believes-sabres-rebuild-can-work/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:40 AM, LGR4GM said:

What you are seeing is the difference between Marjala's last weigh in sometime probably last year and his actual weight at his training camp physical. 

Well, yes. But it just shows that the Sabres didn't do a weight on Marjala for the dev camp since it was 154. And they didn't look at the Quebec Remparts 2020 roster because it had Marjala at 6-0 179. So what was our staff doing giving him #154?   It's just my amusement for the dev camp and training camp rosters and their differences over the years.

10 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

And Okpoos and Girgs to regain their checking role. They were really excellent together for awhile. Hard to play against 

Bad goaltending will hamper some of the players and take away that safety net they need to get going. 

Okpoos reminds me of Per Joos in your context. 

Notes: Center Jack Quinn, the eighth overall pick last year, practiced Friday at LECOM Harborcenter after missing Thursday’s opening session. The Sabres have been trying to ease Quinn into the new season after he underwent hernia surgery in April. … Dahlin said he texted Owen Power after the Sabres drafted the defenseman first overall July 23. “He’s going to fit this team very well,” Dahlin said. “Yeah, as soon as he got drafted I got some thoughts of what he’s going through.” Power returned to Michigan for his sophomore season. … Winger Kyle Okposo (non-COVID illness) did not practice Friday.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/rasmus-dahlin-believes-in-sabres-new-core-we-can-change-the-culture/

• Like (+1) 1

Dylan Cozens received a text from Casey Mittelstadt in July, after the Tampa Bay Lightning captured its second straight Stanley Cup championship. 

The message: We need one of those.

"We all have that vision, and we all believe that it can come true," Cozens said Friday. "We're just going to do what we can every day to get better and better and hopefully reach that point one day."

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-training-camp-notebook-dylan-cozens-casey-mittelstadt/c-326321698

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Dylan Cozens received a text from Casey Mittelstadt in July, after the Tampa Bay Lightning captured its second straight Stanley Cup championship. 

The message: We need one of those.

"We all have that vision, and we all believe that it can come true," Cozens said Friday. "We're just going to do what we can every day to get better and better and hopefully reach that point one day."

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-training-camp-notebook-dylan-cozens-casey-mittelstadt/c-326321698

Ah, the refreshing breeze of youthful optimism untainted by the stain of their predecessors’ failure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Ah, the refreshing breeze of youthful optimism untainted by the stain of their predecessors’ failure. 

This franchise has been subjected to a series of missteps for a vey long time. So it is unfair to single out one section of that catalogue of failures. However, Krueger's reign as the HC was an unmitigated disaster that set this franchise back to unimaginable depths. Whatever talent he had on the roster playing in his "system" resulted in the suppression of their respective individual talents in order to be subordinated to his stifling "system".  

What was a little peculiar was that Granato was on Krueger's staff. As soon as Krueger was dispatched the former subordinate in many ways flipped the script and did the opposite of what his former boss did. The line of demarcation was the coaching changeover where we watched an unpalatable game under the former coach to a more palatable and entertaining game under the new coach. The talent that was once strangled was allowed to breathe. And you didn't have to be a hockey maven to recognize it. 

People can criticize the GM for a lot of things; they can't do it for his coaching selection. 

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This franchise has been subjected to a series of missteps for a vey long time. So it is unfair to single out one section of that catalogue of failures. However, Krueger's reign as the HC was an unmitigated disaster that set this franchise back to unimaginable depths. Whatever talent he had on the roster playing in his "system" resulted in the suppression of their respective individual talents in order to be subordinated to his stifling "system".  

What was a little peculiar was that Granato was on Krueger's staff. As soon as Krueger was dispatched the former subordinate in many ways flipped the script and did the opposite of what his former boss did. The line of demarcation was the coaching changeover where we watched an unpalatable game under the former coach to a more palatable and entertaining game under the new coach. The talent that was once strangled was allowed to breathe. And you didn't have to be a hockey maven to recognize it. 

People can criticize the GM for a lot of things; they can't do it for his coaching selection. 

There won’t be much of a turn around if the goaltending is terrible. Hopefully it’s better than most of us are expecting 

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

There won’t be much of a turn around if the goaltending is terrible. Hopefully it’s better than most of us are expecting 

Someone else (?? want to give credit to the person) wisely pointed out that goaltending is one of the most mercurial positions in hockey or even sports in general. One year a goaltender can play at a Vezina level and then the next year fall off the cliff and play at the Hutton level. A couple of year's ago the Flyers' Carter Hart, a rookie, took the league by storm. The next year he struggled. Could Dell, Anderson or even UPL surprise else this year? I don't know!  What I do know is that anyone who confidently assumes one way or another how any of these players will play is residing on a thin limb on tall tree. 

58 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That is interesting point about Granato being on Krueger's staff.  Krueger said that he valued his assistants very much and used them to bounce ideas off of.  Consensus?  It does seem a bit strange that Granato and Krueger's coaching is so different.  Perhaps they debated issues or maybe Krueger was all talk and just did his own thing.  It's not a big deal at this point but I do wonder about Krueger's discussions with his Assistants (especially when it all went sour with the losses).

And yes I agree with your point on GM Adams hire of Granato.

6 minutes ago, Digger said:

That is interesting point about Granato being on Krueger's staff.  Krueger said that he valued his assistants very much and used them to bounce ideas off of.  Consensus?  It does seem a bit strange that Granato and Krueger's coaching is so different.  Perhaps they debated issues or maybe Krueger was all talk and just did his own thing.  It's not a big deal at this point but I do wonder about Krueger's discussions with his Assistants (especially when it all went sour with the losses).

"So Don, was that a good idea or my best idea?"

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Digger said:

Krueger had a strong ideological approach to the game. He also had a strong belief in himself. When things started to go south his reflexive response was to more ferociously adhere to the tenants that he strongly held. This very smart man who was used to being at the podium spouting his wisdom in eloquent terms didn't understand the simple dictum: When digging yourself deeper into a hole the best way to get out of your predicament is to stop digging. Too much talking and not enough listening. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Someone else (?? want to give credit to the person) wisely pointed out that goaltending is one of the most mercurial positions in hockey or even sports in general. One year a goaltender can play at a Vezina level and then the next year fall off the cliff and play at the Hutton level. A couple of year's ago the Flyers' Carter Hart, a rookie, took the league by storm. The next year he struggled. Could Dell, Anderson or even UPL surprise else this year? I don't know!  What I do know is that anyone who confidently assumes one way or another how any of these players will play is residing on a thin limb on tall tree. 

The keys were handed off to UPL when Linus left.  He’s the goal tender this year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.