Sabres Training Camp Starts September 23rd

Brawndo

12 hours ago, SwampD said:

We are so starved to be able to root for anyone with a sac that we yearn for an AHL Dman.

Hockey Heaven.

This is why there's already a "concept of" Samuelsson, a player who looked exposed last year to my eyes on ice. I think he's a good prospect, certainly. But I'm not seeing Leadership Incarnate out there, which, I get is the only thing that matters now

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

Samuelsson and Cozens look like the types you want in command of your dressing room.

Quinn and Levi are confident yet humble and take nothing for granted.

I like the early signs of some of the personality types the Sabres are bringing in. These are four guys I'm really rooting for.

Means nothing if they cant play.

How do you know so much about the psyche of the players that have barely played, if at all? Legit asking. Is this just based on articles with quotes from coaches and stuff? I lose track of which count and which are just "McCabe being a good friend" or whatever 

There's no way IMO we already know a guy like Cozens looks proper "in command" of a room. I mean, how? He dropped the gloves once? There is no more tire-pumping in the media re: Cozens' "leadership" than there was with Eichel when he was on the way up. It's just noise at this time. For my part I think we need a significantly larger NHL sample size from Cozens and Samuelsson before knowing if they are suited to have the room centered around them. Same goes for Quinn and Levi and whether or not they "take anything for granted". 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is why there's already a "concept of" Samuelsson, a player who looked exposed last year to my eyes on ice. I think he's a good prospect but I'm not seeing Leadership Incarnate out there, which, I get is the only thing that matters now

How do you know so much about the psyche of the players that have barely played, if at all? Legit asking. Is this just based on articles with quotes from coaches and stuff? I lose track of which count and which are just "McCabe being a good friend" or whatever 

There's no way we already know a guy like Cozens looks proper "in command" of a room. I mean, how?? He dropped the gloves once? There is no more tire-pumping in the media re: Cozens' "leadership" than there was with Eichel when he was on the way up. It's just noise at this time. Let's just wait and see what happens on the ice over even one full season for Cozens and Samuelsson before we adjudge them to be the guys we want in control of our dressing room. 

I don't "know' anything about these guys. Obviously.

Entirely narratives I've built in my head from what I've seen and read, to occupy myself in a dull stretch of off-season.

Like most of my posts since April.

I'll shut up until training camp starts.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Entirely narratives I've built in my head from what I've seen and read, to occupy myself in a dull stretch of off-season.

No I enjoy the posts obviously (you had my vote for poster of the year I feel like I don't need to explain this)

I'm legit just lost on this 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Digger said:

There's lots of talk and hope that Will Borgen will get waived by Seattle and that the Sabres will pick him up.  I wouldn't mind that scenario because I really liked Borgen and would love to see him get more time on the Sabres.  A right handed D with some toughness.

But it would not shock me at all if Borgen gets waived and the Sabres don't claim him.  I just think Adams will pass if he gets the chance and stay with the defense that he has put together.  Hopefully I'm wrong. 

It also says a lot about how much better expansion teams start out, versus teams that are rebuilding, in the Sabres case a perpetual rebuild.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Keep posting.  Your points are good.  Don’t back done.  

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

This is why there's already a "concept of" Samuelsson, a player who looked exposed last year to my eyes on ice. I think he's a good prospect but I'm not seeing Leadership Incarnate out there, which, I get is the only thing that matters now

There's no way IMO we already know a guy like Cozens looks proper "in command" of a room. I mean, how? He dropped the gloves once? There is no more tire-pumping in the media re: Cozens' "leadership" than there was with Eichel when he was on the way up. It's just noise at this time. I think we should just wait and see what happens on the ice over even one full season for Cozens and Samuelsson before we adjudge them to be the guys we want in control of our dressing room. 

Correct me if I'm wrong: I guess the dynamic is that, as you've said before, you've adjudged everything to "come easy" for Jack, so because he played on a top line at the WJC he is "taking things for granted" maybe as a default I guess, and Quinn, who played on a lower line because he isn't as good, is seen to be someone who takes nothing for granted? Just using Eichel as a reference point to understand, as you've explained the situational things that have caused you to evaluate his character in the way you have.  

@Thorny, can any other people here have an opinion?   Maybe others are high on Cozens and Samuelsson (or any other player) because we see things in player that indicate they could be talented, hard workers, and leaders.    Maybe we hear things from insiders on the way players conduct themselves?   Maybe we are just fans that are grasping for anything positive about this team?  

The same arguments you use to criticize others for their thoughts and opinions can be used against you in your continuous, bizarre, and defiant defense of the almighty Jack Eichel.  You turned this conversation into a Jack thing again.  Your defense of Jack has become insufferable to the point that other posters are dropping out.   Please recognize this and  review your posts before clicking submit.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Keep posting.  Your points are good.  Don’t back done.  

@Thorny, can any other people here have an opinion?   Maybe others are high on Cozens and Samuelsson (or any other player) because we see things in player that indicate they could be talented, hard workers, and leaders.    Maybe we hear things from insiders on the way players conduct themselves?   Maybe we are just fans that are grasping for anything positive about this team?  

The same arguments you use to criticize others for their thoughts and opinions can be used against you in your continuous, bizarre, and defiant defense of the almighty Jack Eichel.  You turned this conversation into a Jack thing again.  Your defense of Jack has become insufferable to the point that other posters are dropping out.   Please recognize this and  review your posts before clicking submit.  

How the heck is questioning one's opinion me saying others can't have an opinion? Isn't that the source of discussion? Any well-conceived viewpoint can stand up the challenge of being questioned. I use more (?) marks than most around here because when I put value in someone's opinion I want to question it so as to better understand. 

Of course the arguments I use can be used both ways. Last I checked, I haven't been saying people shouldn't question my posts? I didn't "turn the conversation" back to Jack again, I wanted to use him as a reference point, because dudacek has an established take on his character - this serves well in helping to compare/contrast his views on another player. 

The "bizarre" thing must be a joke? You are calling my viewpoint bizarre in a post attempting to call out my receptiveness to the opinions of others. Did I call your view point bizarre? My takes are standing out to you because they represent, often, a viewpoint contrary to the accepted flow around here. Too bad. 

If my viewpoint on Jack is "insufferable", I think that's "you" thing. Because it stands out? There are 10 anti Jack posts to every post I make that you perceive to be wholly positive (which is weird, as I constantly am pointing out his faults where I believe them to be, as well, in recent posts). I believe I've done my best to try and articulate my viewpoint fairly and without disrespect, up to and including "IMO", like, countless times in my posts. 

- - - 

Last I checked, no one on this board (short of, shout out to @Marvin, Sabres Fan) has as many "likes" GIVEN out as me, on this board. I am complimenting more posts than anyone else (again, save the awesome Marvin.)

You are focusing on one argument you don't like and painting your entire view of my aptitude as a poster on it, because, for you, I talk about it too much. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

@Thorny, can any other people here have an opinion?

I've "commended" 6509 opinions on this website since the "like" feature was introduced. For reference (this isn't a shot, I probably spend more time here than you) you have commended (liked) 2424. This may seem a pointless thing to talk about but I'd argue not, through the prism of your argument/statement "can any other people have an opinion".

If I have as much influence as you seem to be implying in your post, surely the kudos I've given out should be weighted, here. *Of course* the comments lean towards disagreement - the comment sections ALWAYS do. 

The discussions stem from the disagreements. 

My viewpoint on Jack has been proclaimed to be "bizarre", "wrong", tantamount to a meme, and any other number of words, multiple times by multiple posters yet I'm not here posting about how no one will let me have my opinion. What exactly is the problem with it? This place is mostly slow as molasses around here this time of year, I'm hardly posting about it 10 times a day. There are *so many* anti-Jack takes that if I take issue with even a few a day, it's being perceived to be a lot/too much/making me a meme. 

This is probably because no one else is really spending the time doing it. Ok. Sorry. I don't agree with the board on Jack Eichel. Whoopedie dooooo. You want me to just stop because it's in opposition.

- - - 

Place is all over the place. In another thread I was speaking about keeping expectations reasonable for Power and was told that maybe we should just not set any at all, that that would be more fair. Why put undo pressure on the kid. Yet when I try to make a point here about how labelling Cozens as "the room", too early, just like we did with Jack, could be an issue, THAT'S an issue. 

People are *tar and feathering* Jack because he isn't the leader people wanted. And Cozens is being anointed exactly that, having played exactly 41 NHL games in his career. Don't you see the irony here? What may happen to people's perceptions of Dylan, down the line?

Perhaps I am actually the one who's most protective of Cozens, here, fully in his corner - with those building him up to be more than that, already, the ones doing the disservice. 

- - - 

Also (and I don't know why I care enough to do this, probably because I care enough to spend so much time here every day) go ahead and pull up my profile and go through my recent post history. Like only 4 Eichel posts in the first 2 full pages going back a week or so. 

Have you seen my post count? I talk a lot about Jack because I talk a lot about *everything*. 

Edited by Thorny

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I've "commended" 6509 opinions on this website since the "like" feature was introduced. For reference (this isn't a shot, I probably spend more time here than you) you have commended (liked) 2424. This may seem a pointless thing to talk about but I'd argue not, through the prism of your argument/statement "can any other people have an opinion".

If I have as much influence as you seem to be implying in your post, surely the kudos I've given out should be weighted, here. *Of course* the comments lean towards disagreement - the comment sections ALWAYS do. 

The discussions stem from the disagreements. 

Relax.  I enjoy your posts and everyone's posts on the board.  I imagine we all resonate and agree with some posts more than others (which is why it's nice to have the options to like, etc.).  When the discussions get heated between posters I always wonder what it would be like if we were all face to face having these discussions.  Writing always allows for more interpretation for "what did they mean by that" and reacting.  It's amazing how many assumptions we can make without knowing for sure.

Your name is Thorny, so I assumed that's why some of your posts are taken the wrong way at times.  😏

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sorry for unintentionally creating drama.

@Thorny's opinions about my opinions are always considered, frequently dissected, and usually enjoyed. I thought his post missed the forest for the trees and my reply was an attempt to tell him so.

I have no intention of stopping posting.

I'm just worried about how many trees we are going to chop down in the name of that forest, because those trees proved or may prove unable to prop up said forest on their own. Because when you DO look at the whole forest, the grander picture, you can see the problems actually come from without, not from within. Similar to how real forests operate, actually. 

My point was never really about Jack. It was about people setting themselves up for the same disappointment with Cozens. Jack is a lost cause. I don't want it to happen again - that's all. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Digger said:

Relax.  I enjoy your posts and everyone's posts on the board.  I imagine we all resonate and agree with some posts more than others (which is why it's nice to have the options to like, etc.).  When the discussions get heated between posters I always wonder what it would be like if we were all face to face having these discussions.  Writing always allows for more interpretation for "what did they mean by that" and reacting.  It's amazing how many assumptions we can make without knowing for sure.

Your name is Thorny, so I assumed that's why some of your posts are taken the wrong way at times.  😏

You'd be Thorny too if your mum named you Thorny, eh.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Digger said:

I think it's because I'm on an island where Jack is concerned, and, I post a lot. In general, I post a lot. No one is getting all hot and bothered over any of the other stuff. I don't think it's a coincidence I'm getting the pushback on the topic I happen to disagree with everyone. What people really have a problem with is the viewpoint itself. 

A post where I typed "Legit asking" and "IMO", among other qualifiers, did not deserve the response it got. Anyways, moving on. 

Oh, my name is Thorny because of Super Troopers 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

How the heck is questioning one's opinion me saying others can't have an opinion? Isn't that the source of discussion? Any well-conceived viewpoint can stand up the challenge of being questioned. I use more (?) marks than most around here because when I put value in someone's opinion I want to question it so as to better understand. 

Of course the arguments I use can be used both ways. Last I checked, I haven't been saying people shouldn't question my posts? I didn't "turn the conversation" back to Jack again, I wanted to use him as a reference point, because dudacek has an established take on his character - this serves well in helping to compare/contrast his views on another player. 

The "bizarre" thing must be a joke? You are calling my viewpoint bizarre in a post attempting to call out my receptiveness to the opinions of others. Did I call your view point bizarre? My takes are standing out to you because they represent, often, a viewpoint contrary to the accepted flow around here. Too bad. 

If my viewpoint on Jack is "insufferable", I think that's "you" thing. Because it stands out? There are 10 anti Jack posts to every post I make that you perceive to be wholly positive (which is weird, as I constantly am pointing out his faults where I believe them to be, as well, in recent posts). I believe I've done my best to try and articulate my viewpoint fairly and without disrespect, up to and including "IMO", like, countless times in my posts. 

- - - 

Last I checked, no one on this board (short of, shout out to @Marvin, Sabres Fan) has as many "likes" GIVEN out as me, on this board. I am complimenting more posts than anyone else (again, save the awesome Marvin.)

You are focusing on one argument you don't like and painting your entire view of my aptitude as a poster on it, because, for you, I talk about it too much. 

Ok, I walked away and had some time to think.  

I said what I feel, I don’t see any need to pull back from it or change it.  At the same time I could have been more respectful about it. 

You do give a lot of “likes” and you contribute a lot.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Digger said:

I looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Troopers

Actor Jay Chandrasekhar, Super Troopers - Arcot "Thorny" Ramathorn.  

Now we know.

My brain has a short circuit.  Every time I hear "Super Trooper", all I can see are Anni-Frida and Agnetha in my head.  Perfect timing since the new music came out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

My viewpoint on Jack has been proclaimed to be "bizarre", "wrong", tantamount to a meme, and any other number of words, multiple times by multiple posters yet I'm not here posting about how no one will let me have my opinion. What exactly is the problem with it? This place is mostly slow as molasses around here this time of year, I'm hardly posting about it 10 times a day. There are *so many* anti-Jack takes that if I take issue with even a few a day, it's being perceived to be a lot/too much/making me a meme. 

This is probably because no one else is really spending the time doing it. Ok. Sorry. I don't agree with the board on Jack Eichel. Whoopedie dooooo. You want me to just stop because it's in opposition.

- - - 

Place is all over the place. In another thread I was speaking about keeping expectations reasonable for Power and was told that maybe we should just not set any at all, that that would be more fair. Why put undo pressure on the kid. Yet when I try to make a point here about how labelling Cozens as "the room", too early, just like we did with Jack, could be an issue, THAT'S an issue. 

People are *tar and feathering* Jack because he isn't the leader people wanted. And Cozens is being anointed exactly that, having played exactly 41 NHL games in his career. Don't you see the irony here? What may happen to people's perceptions of Dylan, down the line?

Perhaps I am actually the one who's most protective of Cozens, here, fully in his corner - with those building him up to be more than that, already, the ones doing the disservice. 

- - - 

Also (and I don't know why I care enough to do this, probably because I care enough to spend so much time here every day) go ahead and pull up my profile and go through my recent post history. Like only 4 Eichel posts in the first 2 full pages going back a week or so. 

Have you seen my post count? I talk a lot about Jack because I talk a lot about *everything*. 

I’m glad you post like you do. See I can’t do that because I see that no matter what ones opinion is, someone always has an issue with it and sometimes gets insulting or nasty instead of just respectfully disagreeing. I lurk more than I post because a lot of posters already type out exactly what I’m thinking so why bother wasting my time repeating it in a different combination of words 😂

12 hours ago, Weave said:

Way too much opinion intolerance on display here.

In my opinion, anyway.

Agree. But as a whole, there has been growing opinion intolerance in other facets of life for decades now. And it seems to currently be ramping up more. As I’m sure you know. Forums are a slice of that current reality.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Does anyone have any insight on what's holding up the Dahlin contract?  My only thoughts are that he may be waiting to see what Quinn Hughes gets from Vancouver as another comparable contract.  Hughes should get more money because he's been better offensively so far in his career.  Miro Heiskanen signed an 8 year deal with a cap hit of $8.45M.  Cale Makar signed 6 years with a cap hit of $9M.  I think most of us feel a shorter deal might be best for Dahlin and hopefully he really takes a step forward this season.  I figure at this point it's just a waiting game with Vancouver and Buffalo and Hughes and Dahlin.  Who signs first?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.