The Chicken Wing

Indabuff

Being from the Buffalo area I've consumed a lot of wings in my lifetime.  I mean a lot.  From working at a pizzeria for many years, to ordering them out and making them at home when I can I'm guessing I'm functioning at 90% artery blockage.

Maybe it's a good thing for my heart that the price of wings have soared however; is this the beginning of the descent of the wing?  I can't bring myself to spending nearly $2 for a wing.  I've also noticed that for some unexplained reason (soylent green?) the taste of wings I make at home are not the same.  My brother makes them at home as well and mentioned the same thing.  Specifically when it comes to the drums.  Anyone else experiencing anything similar?  

Opinions on the state of the wing?

Edited by Indabuff
P.S. ***** boneless wings
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I’ve also noticed that I cannot quite get restaurant wings flavor at home.  I am friends with 2 restaurant owners in my town, one of whom makes outstanding wings.  I asked her flat out what is she doing differently.  She thinks it is her source for the wings.  She’s using Franks and butter.  Nothing earth shattering there.  Process-wise she par cooks and then final flash fries to order.  Kind of like the two step cooking process that makes great french fries. I don't know  if that accounts for some of the difference in how they taste though.  They are just really good wings.  Her wings have that magical mix of tender meat and crispy skin. maybe it is the meat source.

Edited by Weave
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Being from the Buffalo area I've consumed a lot of wings in my lifetime.  I mean a lot.  From working at a pizzeria for many years, to ordering them out and making them at home when I can I'm guessing I'm functioning at 90% artery blockage.

Maybe it's a good thing for my heart that the price of wings have soared however; is this the beginning of the descent of the wing?  I can't bring myself to spending nearly $2 for a wing.  I've also noticed that for some unexplained reason (soylent green?) the taste of wings I make at home are not the same.  My brother makes them at home as well and mentioned the same thing.  Specifically when it comes to the drums.  Anyone else experiencing anything similar?  

Wings at Wegmans can be had for $6 a dozen.  The pre cooked, meat section variety.  Don’t bother going to the food bar sections, it’s probably cost you $5 a wing. 

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’ve also noticed that I cannot quite get restaurant wings flavor at home.  I am friends with 2 restaurant owners in my town, one of whom makes outstanding wings.  I asked her flat out what is she doing differently.  She thinks it is her source for the wings.  She’s using Franks and butter.  Nothing earth shattering there.  Process-wise she par cooks and then final flash fries to order.  Kind of like the two step cooking process that makes great french fries. I don't know  if that accounts for some of the difference in how they taste though.  They are just really good wings.  Her wings have that magical mix of tender meat and crispy skin. maybe it is the meat source.

You need that dirty, nasty, chicken blood filled oil to get you that perfect flavor. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's a rare indulgence for me. And never more than 10.

Is it me, or do people's appetites and metabolism go down as they age?

44 minutes ago, inkman said:

Wings at Wegmans can be had for $6 a dozen.  The pre cooked, meat section variety.  Don’t bother going to the food bar sections, it’s probably cost you $5 a wing. 

You need that dirty, nasty, chicken blood filled oil to get you that perfect flavor. 

🤢🤮

With that, the USDA needs to lift the ban on haggis.

Edited by FogBat

4 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

It sounds gross, but when you cook at home you probably use new oil each time. Restaurants and bars don't. New peanut or vegetable oil is basically flavor neutral, used oil isn't. It picks up stuff from whatever you fry in it. For example, when you fry chicken wings in oil you render out some chicken fat into the oil. That stays in the oil for the next fry. 

Think of it kind of like soup. You can make soup with water, but it's better if you make it with chicken broth or chicken stock because it brings more flavor to the end product.

When I worked at the pizza shop, wings at the end of the night were always better than the ones right after they change the oil 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, FogBat said:

Is it me, or do people's appetites and metabolism go down as they age?

Yes, but not as much you you might think.  I just saw something on the boob tube that said metabolism slows at early 20’s but remains fairly constant from that point on, all the way up to your 60’s, then it drops again.  

when I was 18 I could eat a “double order” of wings   Today I eat about 4 or 5.   

I just turned 63. I eat less much than I did in my youth.  I still exercise almost every day, alternating cardio days (walking/golfing/bicycle) with strength training days.   I have a replacement knee so running and heavy cardio is out. 

Even though I eat less, if I don’t exercise I gain bad weight.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

I buy my wings from Skips on the Ridge in Rochester and grill them at home; usually get 7 or 8 per pound.  The grilling renders off the fat and the wings get nice and crispy.  I paint them just before they're done and then leave them on the grill for a few more minutes to set the sauce.  My favorite way of eating wings now.  I too was a guy that could easily crush a double order.  

In the old days, we'd get 10 cent a wing at Peter K's on Harlem Rd. in Cheektowaga - those wings kicked a$$!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IvanPutski said:

I buy my wings from Skips on the Ridge in Rochester and grill them at home; usually get 7 or 8 per pound.  The grilling renders off the fat and the wings get nice and crispy.  I paint them just before they're done and then leave them on the grill for a few more minutes to set the sauce.  My favorite way of eating wings now.  I too was a guy that could easily crush a double order.  

In the old days, we'd get 10 cent a wing at Peter K's on Harlem Rd. in Cheektowaga - those wings kicked a$$!

How much are the wings at Skips per pound? That’s almost walking distance from my house. 

My ulcer makes me do pizza OR  wings.   I can only do 10 hots now; no more double orders of suicides for me.  I also have to eat them before 6pm or go to sleep after 11pm.

I hate male-over-50 disease.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I can make them at home as good as the restaurant out of a Bass pro outdoor fish fryer. I use canola oil and dunk them at 375F. As long as there's water coming out of the wings it's hard to get the temps up, but I blast it with heat to get it up as soon as possible. Once back up to temp, I'll lock them in at around 350F until they're floating for a while and extra crispy.

I use Frank's and butter in about a 3 to 1 ratio.

I was in Ausable Falls in the Adirondacks during the Super Bowl that had the blackout. After a feed of top notch pizza and wings at the local pizza joint, we hit the dive bar across the street. I was drinking with the owner/chef of the pizza place and asked him his secret. He said he adds a bit of balsamic vinegar to his Frank's and butter. I've been doing the same ever since. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/18/2021 at 12:19 PM, Indabuff said:

I've also noticed that for some unexplained reason (soylent green?) the taste of wings I make at home are not the same.  My brother makes them at home as well and mentioned the same thing.  Specifically when it comes to the drums.  Anyone else experiencing anything similar?  

I'm assuming you are buying your wings fresh and not frozen.  I recommend freezing fresh wings, and then thawing them out slowly in the fridge.  This is what most restaurants do and I'm not sure why it impacts the taste of the meat but it does.  

Also, if you have a friend that works at a restaurant see if they can place a Sysco order for you.  They sell them in 40lb boxes and its typically half the price you see in the store.  

On a similar note, I would hold a 12 days of wings around the holidays every December, but I didn't do it this last year because prices were crazy....

12daysofwings.thumb.jpg.28b97b114e6fcbf0b39b2b2dc3edbf2e.jpg3rdAnnual12DaysofWings.thumb.jpg.22d7014da88c482dfdb17ef8a752b63a.jpg

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I'm assuming you are buying your wings fresh and not frozen.  I recommend freezing fresh wings, and then thawing them out slowly in the fridge.  This is what most restaurants do and I'm not sure why it impacts the taste of the meat but it does.  

Also, if you have a friend that works at a restaurant see if they can place a Sysco order for you.  They sell them in 40lb boxes and its typically half the price you see in the store.  

On a similar note, I would hold a 12 days of wings around the holidays every December, but I didn't do it this last year because prices were crazy....

12daysofwings.thumb.jpg.28b97b114e6fcbf0b39b2b2dc3edbf2e.jpg3rdAnnual12DaysofWings.thumb.jpg.22d7014da88c482dfdb17ef8a752b63a.jpg

Bobby?

I used to buy the frozen wings but there seemed to be a slight aftertaste.  I switched to fresh and never went back.  I've tried sectioning and using fresh and freezing for later use but I'm not sure I notice a huge difference.   

I prefer peanut oil.  It seems ideal after a few uses.  375 for me as well.  Trying to achieve that crispy outside, tender inside.

I've also wondered if it has something to do with sectioning.  If I accidentally cut or nick the bone with kitchen shears does the blood/marrow affect the taste?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.