Goaltending this season and Beyond

GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

...and you know this how?   If KA feels happy with his choices in goal, and this is how the team will start the season in goal, he should be fired just prior to Game 1.   That is unless the plan is to tank via the crease...in that case, he will be patting himself on the back for a job well done. 

For a season focused on rebuilding, who exactly would you want in goal, that would’ve reasonably came here?

42 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

For a season focused on rebuilding, who exactly would you want in goal, that would’ve reasonably came here?

There was a golden opportunity for the Sabres to acquire a good young goaltender who may even turn out to be better than Ullmark because he is more durable. Seattle took Vitek Vanecek from Washington in the expansion draft. And then traded him back to Seattle for a second round pick. He would have been a marvelous pickup in a trade for a second round pick, a higher pick than what Washington had to offer. That would have been a terrific fall back position. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There was a golden opportunity for the Sabres to acquire a good young goaltender who may even turn out to be better than Ullmark because he is more durable. Seattle took Vitek Vanecek from Washington in the expansion draft. And then traded him back to Seattle for a second round pick. He would have been a marvelous pickup in a trade for a second round pick, a higher pick than what Washington had to offer. That would have been a terrific fall back position. 

Seattle took Vanecek and traded him back to themselves?

That’s just craziness. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Cup for you! They Live is easily the best bad 80’s movie of all time.  There is a fight sequence between these two that lasts 15 minutes.  Longest ever recorded. 

It’s fantastic. And South Park did an excellent parody of the fight, which is indeed awesome in the film. 

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

That is KA’s job to figure out.  He can’t use the crutch of we suck and no one wants to play here.   BS. 

Except I’m pretty sure he did.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don’t think Vanecek was wver available to any team other than Washington. My money is on Seattle and Washington having that planned in advance.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I don’t think Vanecek was wver available to any team other than Washington. My money is on Seattle and Washington having that planned in advance.

I'm inclined to agree with you. There were reports in Washington that they didn't want to lose Dillon, a defenseman, who was exposed in the draft. So it appears that a side-deal was made for them to take Vanecek and then give up a second round pick to get him back. 

I'm just hoping that this front office is not satisfied with the current goalie staffing and is willing to seize opportunities to upgrade that position. As it stands it is very troubling. 

As I have previously stated the organization made the right decision not to pay the contract that would have been needed to retain Ullmark. But in the short run it put the Sabres in a bind. 

15 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Sounds more like a 3 headed kitten to me.

When I was a kid, the cats and dogs in our neighbourhood used to watch us play hockey on a frozen "rink" in our back yard.  We would sometimes find them knocking the pucks we had around the ice and into the goals.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Goaltending this season.
33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

All the nightmares about the goaltending have come true.

As of tonight ECHL vet Houser is now the starter.  

There’s been so many injuries/health issues at the GT position that people are going to forget how poorly the position was handled from the outset - hopefully that doesn’t facilitate a “run it back” approach there. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There’s been so many injuries/health issues at the GT position that people are going to forget how poorly the position was handled from the outset - hopefully that doesn’t facilitate a “run it back” approach there. 

They will 100% run UPL back. The only question is what does the backup look like. 

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They will 100% run UPL back. The only question is what does the backup look like. 

Hoping the Q is who IS the starter.

UPL will definitely be back.  They need to have somebody better than him on paper for him to have to battle past.  Because this team won't be good enough to have (at best) Marty Biron between the pipes.  And if Biron is what the back up ends up, with 3 decent scoring lines, a checking line, and mid-tier D; they may have something that can & should be in the mix.

• Like (+1) 1

The only real questions now are:

1. Will we see the Sabres take sole possession of the NHL record by ending up w/ an 8th netminder play this year?

And

2.  Who will #8 be?  (Will they make another Subban-esque pickup?  Will the other guy in Ra-cha-cha come up w/ Robson?  Will Levi &/or Portillo get a game in to get them to 9 & even 10?)

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The only real questions now are:

1. Will we see the Sabres take sole possession of the NHL record by ending up w/ an 8th netminder play this year?

And

2.  Who will #8 be?  (Will they make another Subban-esque pickup?  Will the other guy in Ra-cha-cha come up w/ Robson?  Will Levi &/or Portillo get a game in to get them to 9 & even 10?)

I think there is a very good chance Levi plays a game this year.

The only thing standing in the way of the record is Anderson or Ticker stepping up Saturday.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.