Goaltending this season and Beyond

GASabresIUFAN

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The only real questions now are:

1. Will we see the Sabres take sole possession of the NHL record by ending up w/ an 8th netminder play this year?

And

2.  Who will #8 be?  (Will they make another Subban-esque pickup?  Will the other guy in Ra-cha-cha come up w/ Robson?  Will Levi &/or Portillo get a game in to get them to 9 & even 10?)

I can see us easily getting to 8, maybe nine.  I'm thinking Anderson gets traded and is replaced by a Subban type player and then Levi gets a game late in the year.

Anyone else thinking that UPL is going down the same injury road as Ullmark.  He has had serious injuries the last 2 season and had surgery a few years ago.  

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Should have signed Strauss Mann when they had the chance. Currently leads the SHL in sv%

Yes they should have.  Considering they were scouting Portillo and Power, Beniers and Johnson, they should have had some notes on the guy dominating in the Michigan net.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think there is a very good chance Levi plays a game this year.

The only thing standing in the way of the record is Anderson or Ticker stepping up Saturday.

The question is, does Levi play before or after the Olympics?  His college career is just about over.

39 minutes ago, Weave said:

The question is, does Levi play before or after the Olympics?  His college career is just about over.

If he plays before the Olympics, he becomes ineligible for the Olympics. With him already being officially selected for team Canada, in what may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for him, I’d be surprised if he didn’t go.

Finally, no one is blocking the kids...............wait where are the kids?  Quick sign a kid.

Anyone remember when we brought Marty Biron up from the QMJHL to play for the Sabres in an emergency?  He was not ready and did not play well but at least we had an option.  Need one of Levi or Portillo to sign and turn pro in the off-season.

Assuming Anderson plays I hope that he's ready and doesn't aggravate any injury.  Sucks having to rush him back in.

Edited by Digger
  • Like (+1) 1

Sabres record this year with Mr. Anderson in net:  5-2.

Sabres record with anyone else in net:  9-27.

Sabres record with Anderson or Toker:  9-10.

Sabres record with anyone else:  5-19.

FFS.  All they needed was a credible NHL goalie and they’d be at deLuca .500 and a 4-game winning streak away from a playoff spot.

Great work KA!

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

FFS.  All they needed was a credible NHL goalie and they’d be at deLuca .500 and a 4-game winning streak away from a playoff spot.

Great work KA!

It was irresponsible of him to ice a team with Anderson, who is ancient, and Tokarski, who isn't good.  @PromoTheRobotfeels differently, I know, but I will die on the hill of "Adams screwed up by not hiring goalies last summer."  Also by refusing to call up UPL until it was too late (I started a thread about that).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It was irresponsible of him to ice a team with Anderson, who is ancient, and Tokarski, who isn't good.  @PromoTheRobotfeels differently, I know, but I will die on the hill of "Adams screwed up by not hiring goalies last summer."  Also by refusing to call up UPL until it was too late (I started a thread about that).

We went through 6 goaltenders. We can't prove our disprove if Adams signed a 7th everything would have been fine.

The season is tracking about where it was expected to track.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We went through 6 goaltenders. We can't prove our disprove if Adams signed a 7th everything would have been fine.

The season is tracking about where it was expected to track.

The problem is not hiring the right first goaltender, not the seventh.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Great work KA!

From what we’ve seen in a 1/2 season, a combo of Anderson and UPL would have been fine. Which is what I think Adams was expecting to run with this year.

The issue was less his judgement of their ability and more his judgement of their availability.

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/28/2022 at 1:50 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I can see us easily getting to 8, maybe nine.  I'm thinking Anderson gets traded and is replaced by a Subban type player and then Levi gets a game late in the year.

Anyone else thinking that UPL is going down the same injury road as Ullmark.  He has had serious injuries the last 2 season and had surgery a few years ago.  

Yes they should have.  Considering they were scouting Portillo and Power, Beniers and Johnson, they should have had some notes on the guy dominating in the Michigan net.

I don't understand your reasoning in expecting/hoping that Anderson gets traded? When he plays the record is respectable; when he doesn't play the team plunges. What would be the point in trading a veteran goalie who would return you little? What the young players on this team desperately need is some current success that will provide some realistic optimism for the future. Trading Anderson would be a damaging move with little benefit. I'm simply perplexed by your stance. 

Your perplexed?  This season has never been about winning.  I call it a tank, others choose not to call it so.  KA wants assets and teams need goaltending.  Also Anderson is 40, giving him a chance to earn a ring is a kind thing to do for a veteran player not in the team’s long-term plans. 

That would leave the net to UPL and Tokar, allowing KA to give UPL valuable NHL time to continue his development.  Does that help?

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Your perplexed?  This season has never been about winning.  I call it a tank, others choose not to call it so.  KA wants assets and teams need goaltending.  Also Anderson is 40, giving him a chance to earn a ring is a kind thing to do for a veteran player not in the team’s long-term plans. 

That would leave the net to UPL and Tokar, allowing KA to give UPL valuable NHL time to continue his development.  Does that help?

No it doesn't? What do you expect to get for Anderson in a trade? His value to the Sabres is that he gives them a chance to win more games. 

Just now, JohnC said:

No it doesn't? What do you expect to get for Anderson in a trade? His value to the Sabres is that he gives them a chance to win more games. 

Your missing the point.  KA doesn’t care about winning games this season.  He wants to give UPL max playing time in the NHL now that he showed he can play there.  

The 2nd half of this season is about transition to next year’s roster.  Out with guys like Caggiula, Hagg, Anderson, Dell, and Hinostroza.  In with UPL, Samuelsson, Krebs, and Quinn.  

The picks we receive for the guys leaving is secondary to opening roster spots for the kids.  The future is now and again winning is secondary to development through NHL PT.  

All this as to Anderson assumes he remains healthy (a big if) and UPL gets healthy (also a big if).  For all any of us know we could have a Tokar/Houser tandem for the 2nd half of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Your missing the point.  KA doesn’t care about winning games this season.  He wants to give UPL max playing time in the NHL now that he showed he can play there.  

The 2nd half of this season is about transition to next year’s roster.  Out with guys like Caggiula, Hagg, Anderson, Dell, and Hinostroza.  In with UPL, Samuelsson, Krebs, and Quinn.  

The picks we receive for the guys leaving is secondary to opening roster spots for the kids.  The future is now and again winning is secondary to development through NHL PT.  

All this as to Anderson assumes he remains healthy (a big if) and UPL gets healthy (also a big if).  For all any of us know we could have a Tokar/Houser tandem for the 2nd half of the season.

We just disagree. Anderson gives the Sabres a better chance to be respectable. Not only does he allow us to be competitive but in no way does his presence hinder the younger players. In fact, I would argue by allowing us to be respectable he is helping the younger players to develop. When UPL gets healthy he will get enough playing time to enhance his development and demonstrate what he is capable of. So at least for this season I don't see his presence as hurting any player or the rebuild plan. In my view you gain nothing by shipping out a player who helps the team for a meaningless return. Next year the situation is different. But this year trading the old goalie makes no sense to me.  

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hold up. You've complained about Adams not addressing goaltending for the entire season and you want him to trade Anderson, the best gt on the roster?

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We just disagree. Anderson gives the Sabres a better chance to be respectable. Not only does he allow us to be competitive but in no way does his presence hinder the younger players. In fact, I would argue by allowing us to be respectable he is helping the younger players to develop. When UPL gets healthy he will get enough playing time to enhance his development and demonstrate what he is capable of. So at least for this season I don't see his presence as hurting any player or the rebuild plan. In my view you gain nothing by shipping out a player who helps the team for a meaningless return. Next year the situation is different. But this year trading the old goalie makes no sense to me.  

While I personally might agree with you, considering I’ve been screaming for 2 years about the lack of good goaltending.  We are talking about KA’s “plan” such as it is.  

KA set the course we are on.  He is responsible for the goaltending mess.  Had I been GM, I would have had a legit plan B when Ullmark didn’t sign.  In fact, I’d have gone after a goalie prior to expansion to have a solid vet in place given Ullmark’s injury history.  

Also relying on a 40 year old Anderson isn’t smart either.  He has played only 7 games this season.  7 of 43.  He has played well in those 7, but what are the odds he can play 25 plus down the stretch at the level he has played the 7?  Low. At the start of the season I pointed out that only 2 goalies age 40+ have played 40 plus games at a .910 save % or better.  Don’t expect him to last even if he isn’t traded.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Hold up. You've complained about Adams not addressing goaltending for the entire season and you want him to trade Anderson, the best gt on the roster?

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

It’s not what I want but what I think KA will do.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm sure KA would have your undying support if he only did that one thing.

I'm not an Adams hater.  Nor am I his biggest fan.  I'm pretty undecided.  But, unquestionably, he did not adequately address goaltending last summer.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He wants to give UPL max playing time in the NHL now that he showed he can play there.  

He took forever to call UPL up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I'm not an Adams hater.  Nor am I his biggest fan.  I'm pretty undecided.  But, unquestionably, he did not adequately address goaltending last summer.

He took forever to call UPL up.

In no small part because he played like dog doo doo in October.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While I personally might agree with you, considering I’ve been screaming for 2 years about the lack of good goaltending.  We are talking about KA’s “plan” such as it is.  

KA set the course we are on.  He is responsible for the goaltending mess.  Had I been GM, I would have had a legit plan B when Ullmark didn’t sign.  In fact, I’d have gone after a goalie prior to expansion to have a solid vet in place given Ullmark’s injury history.  

Also relying on a 40 year old Anderson isn’t smart either.  He has played only 7 games this season.  7 of 43.  He has played well in those 7, but what are the odds he can play 25 plus down the stretch at the level he has played the 7?  Low. At the start of the season I pointed out that only 2 goalies age 40+ have played 40 plus games at a .910 save % or better.  Don’t expect him to last even if he isn’t traded.

It’s not what I want but what I think KA will do.

As like you, I wasn't particularly keen on the way KA handled the goaltending issue this past offseason. On that we can agree on. But there is a benefit to having a veteran like Anderson on the roster that in a variety of ways positively effects a novice player such as UPL. As a mentor for the young goalie the veteran can serve as an example in how best to prepare for games, not only in practice but also in video sessions. He is also a respected player/person who can serve as a sounding board when the inevitable struggles happen for the inexperienced goalie.

On most teams there are a few veteran players whose value goes beyond their statistics. The benefit to their team due to their "presence" in practice and in games can't accurately be quantified.  Okposo is a player who falls in that "positive presence" category. In my opinion, Anderson also falls in that category. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.