Linus Ullmark: Rumors and discussion

GASabresIUFAN

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

26/20/6 with the Sabres.

Are you saying that with a “real” starter the past two years we were a playoff team?

No, but maybe not dead last.  And (mostly in response to other comments) durability is a fair factor to evaluate as well.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Quoting Eklund as a source, is as accurate as tossing a lawn dart into the air and hitting ground.  He tosses it up and if it lands on the ground, that means it's happening according to that goof. 

Basically our very own and very trustworthy @tom webster has confirmed it, so that should be good enough.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Didn't we debate some time ago Anderson vs Ullmark with you telling me Anderson was better or was at LGR?

Not me. I think I might Linus’ biggest booster on here. Well, after @MODO Hockey

10 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Quoting Eklund as a source, is as accurate as tossing a lawn dart into the air and hitting ground.  He tosses it up and if it lands on the ground, that means it's happening according to that goof. 

This is true. The reason I’m mildly excited is because of Tom Webster’s post.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No, but maybe not dead last.  And (mostly in response to other comments) durability is a fair factor to evaluate as well.

When he played we were a 90-point team. He’s backup because Hutton is crap?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

When he played we were a 90-point team. He’s backup because Hutton is crap?

A 90-point team isn't good enough.  And we can't keep looking at every player on the team and blaming the other 19 guys.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

A 90-point team isn't good enough.  And we can't keep looking at every player on the team and blaming the other 19 guys.

It's not.  

BUT if you have 2 goalies that can each play at a 90 point pace on LAST SEASON'S train wreck then you only need to find 6-8 more points to be in the playoffs.

Might adding Danault to that along with the growth of the kids find them those 3-4 regulation losses that need to turn into W's?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

It's not.  

BUT if you have 2 goalies that can each play at a 90 point pace on LAST SEASON'S train wreck then you only need to find 6-8 more points to be in the playoffs.

Might adding Danault to that along with the growth of the kids find them those 3-4 regulation losses that need to turn into W's?

Danault, in goal? 

Not a bad idea.

Not a bad idea at all.....

39 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

You have the wrong thing that he tosses in the air and lands on the ground.  They become "chips" at some point.

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If the Sabres reach the 90 point benchmark with an infusion of young players added to an already young team I would be mildly surprised in a positive way. In my view how the team plays is just as important, if not more important, than how many points the team earns. There is no denying the fact that this is a rebuilding year. It may not be a total deconstruct but the roster is going to be significantly altered. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

A 90 point team isn't good enough, so rather than addressing the roster that went 6 - 28 - 4 without Ullmark, we should let ullmark walk and sign the goalies who are better than him who exist, are available, and are ready to come here, so instead of turning a 30 point team into a 90 point team we can turn a 30 point team into a 100 point team. Got it, sounds like a plan 

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

A 90 point team isn't good enough, so rather than addressing the roster that went 6 - 28 - 4 without Ullmark, we should let ullmark walk and sign the goalies who are better than him who exist, are available, and are ready to come here, so instead of turning a 30 point team into a 90 point team we can turn a 30 point team into a 100 point team. Got it, sounds like a plan 

Who? Who is better and available?  Who is better, available and wants to come here?

Here are Ullmark's stats the last few years

2019-20 34 games 17w 14L 3 OTL = 37 pts or 1.09 pts/gp

2020-21 18 games 9w 6L 3 OTL = 21 pts or 1.17 Pts/gp  or 95.67 pts for season - playoff caliber goaltending on a team that finished last in the NHL.  Without Ullmark in net the team went 6-28-4 that's .47 pts per game or about 39 pts for the season.  The difference under Granato is even more stark.  We were 4-2-2 with Ullmark in net once DG took over.  That's a 102.5 pace.

Imagine what Ullmark can do on a real team with good defense, forwards who back check and an offense that can score more then once per game.

Admittedly he must stay healthy for the Sabres to contend and we must get an actual good backup to insure that the drop off between Ullmark and the backup isn't the Grand Canyon.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

At no point did I say the team shouldn't sign Ullmark.  I said that he ideally is a backup.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

At no point did I say the team shouldn't sign Ullmark.  I said that he ideally is a backup.

Your sentiment was just jarring. A 90 point pace with that team isn't "not good enough," it's nearly miraculous. 

I'll reiterate that they were 6 - 28 - 4 otherwise. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Your sentiment was just jarring. A 90 point pace with that team isn't "not good enough," it's nearly miraculous. 

I'll reiterate that they were 6 - 28 - 4 otherwise. 

I think you're misinterpreting me maybe?  A 90 point pace isn't good enough for the team to make the playoffs or do anything meaningful.  They need to be better at nearly every position, including the two goaltender spots.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think you're misinterpreting me maybe?  A 90 point pace isn't good enough for the team to make the playoffs or do anything meaningful.  They need to be better at nearly every position, including the two goaltender spots.

If one goaltender spot is strong enough to turn a 39 point team into a 90 point team, they don't need to upgrade that spot, and any attempt to is begging for failure 

• Thanks (+1) 2