Linus Ullmark: Rumors and discussion

GASabresIUFAN

33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He & his wife have been OWNERS that long.

They've had a long series of unsuccessful presidents & GMs under them actually MANAGING the operation.   And the current manager has been in place ~1 year; his team significantly less.

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Everything you said about his inexperience is accurate. But starting off with the firing of Krueger he has done a number of positive things. He elevated Granato as an interim HC, and then made him the HC. In my opinion that was the right thing to do. He hired Karmonos to support him in his office. That was a good hire. He hired a respected stat analyst. Tonight's draft selection should be sound. 

Where I am holding my judgment, as I'm sure you are, is getting a credible return for the shipped out players. For me that is the big measuring stick. Added to the list that you are known to stress is how he addresses the goaltending situation. My point is let's wait a little longer before offering a scathing review.  

The team rotted from the Head (owner) down.  TP hired Patty who hired TM etc.......  Since TP took over I believe we have finished at the bottom of the NHL standings 4 times.  I believe it happened only once in the 40 or so seasons prior to TP's arrival. 

What evidence is there to say that the inexperienced and unqualified GM TP/KP hired will do better the actual qualified TM and Jbot?  KA's first season was a unmitigated disaster.  He waited way to long to fire RK, his two best players want out, and his team finished dead last in the NHL.   His trade record is terrible although with limited samples (see HALL and Staal).  His FAs sucked (see Hall, Eakin etc).  He didn't address the goaltending that everyone on this board and in Sabres fandom knew needed to be upgraded.  

Yes hiring Karmanos and the analytics guy seem like smart moves, but what evidence is there so far to show they are influencing the incompetent KA in the right direction.  They didn't acquire (or sign) a goaltender to fill vacant goaltender slot in expansion and if Ullmark doesn't re-sign they wasted that slot and opportunity. 

Yes we have to reserve judgement until after this next season to see if they actually have a plan and I have no choice, other then giving up on the team, to wait and see.  However, as @Taro T knows, I am generally an upbeat person about the team, but I'm also analytical and all evidence points to a team heading even further into the abyss under KA.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong as I think there are some real building blocks here like Cozens, Mitts, R2, Samuelsson, Dahlin, Quinn, UPL and JJP to build around.  However I have zero confidence in  this management team from TP on down to execute and made a good team from those building blocks.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The team rotted from the Head (owner) down.  TP hired Patty who hired TM etc.......  Since TP took over I believe we have finished at the bottom of the NHL standings 4 times.  I believe it happened only once in the 40 or so seasons prior to TP's arrival. 

What evidence is there to say that the inexperienced and unqualified GM TP/KP hired will do better the actual qualified TM and Jbot?  KA's first season was a unmitigated disaster.  He waited way to long to fire RK, his two best players want out, and his team finished dead last in the NHL.   His trade record is terrible although with limited samples (see HALL and Staal).  His FAs sucked (see Hall, Eakin etc).  He didn't address the goaltending that everyone on this board and in Sabres fandom knew needed to be upgraded.  

Yes hiring Karmanos and the analytics guy seem like smart moves, but what evidence is there so far to show they are influencing the incompetent KA in the right direction.  They didn't acquire (or sign) a goaltender to fill vacant goaltender slot in expansion and if Ullmark doesn't re-sign they wasted that slot and opportunity. 

Yes we have to reserve judgement until after this next season to see if they actually have a plan and I have no choice, other then giving up on the team, to wait and see.  However, as @Taro T knows, I am generally an upbeat person about the team, but I'm also analytical and all evidence points to a team heading even further into the abyss under KA.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong as I think there are some real building blocks here like Cozens, Mitts, R2, Samuelsson, Dahlin, Quinn, UPL and JJP to build around.  However I have zero confidence in  this management team from TP on down to execute and made a good team from those building blocks.  

In Adams favor, on paper the moves he has made have mostly been correct.  Though they have not worked out in practice which is a huge negative.  Some of that was bad luck (Eichel showing up to TC as damaged goods) & some was self inflicted - not consumating a deal for a goalie & then compounding that mistake by not making any waiver claims when they finally became available. 

Really expect he's making the wrong decision on bailing on Eichel & Reinhart and until it is shown that he has or he's brought in somebody to eat Ristolainen's minutes, expect that's the wrong call as well.  

Expect this team has enough mid-high end youth to be good in 3 years while punting the core (provided he finds goaltending by then) but don't believe it can't be competitive now and still good 3 years from now by not following that path.

The team needs to get through good before it can become great & rebooting just slows that 1st step.  Don't know that Adams is the right guy to lead this, but on paper his moves seem good once again (Karmanos, the analytics guy) or at least potentially good (Granato).

Not landing Nedeljkovic is quite disappointing, but if Waddell had his heart set on a cheap NHL backup in return, the Sabres did not have that.  Pretty sure my disappointment level would be sky high tonight, but have a birthday party to go to, so will read about it in the AM.  And really don't expect we'll have a feel for this year's squad until the 2ndary FA pieces start landing a couple of weeks after it opens.

And totally get not having faith in the Pegulas.  Their teams do bad until they luck into the right managers.  And at this point all we have is to hope they did that w/ Adams because otherwise we'll be wandering the desert for at least 3 more years.

But maybe all the bad luck of last season finally lifts.  Getting #1, getting Karmanos, & Venturi might indicate we're finally getting some of that luck they were due.

Just need to figure out whether hope/ wishing is enough to blow a few grand on.  Doubt it, but that's the Q.

Edited by Taro T

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

In Adams favor, on paper the moves he has made have mostly been correct.  Though they have not worked out in practice which is a huge negative.  Some of that was bad luck (Eichel showing up to TC as damaged goods) & some was self inflicted - not consumating a deal for a goalie & then compounding that mistake by not making any waiver claims when they finally became available. 

Really expect he's making the wrong decision on bailing on Eichel & Reinhart and until it is shown that he has or he's brought in somebody to eat Ristolainen's minutes, expect that's the wrong call as well.  

Expect this team has enough mid-high end youth to be good in 3 years while punting the core (provided he finds goaltending by then) but don't believe it can't be competitive now and still good 3 years from now by not following that path.

The team needs to get through good before it can become great & rebooting just slows that 1st step.  Don't know that Adams is the right guy to lead this, but on paper his moves seem good once again (Karmanos, the analytics guy) or at least potentially good (Granato).

Not landing Nedeljkovic is quite disappointing, but if Waddell had his heart set on a cheap NHL backup in return, the Sabres did not have that.  Pretty sure my disappointment level would be sky high tonight, but have a birthday party to go to, so will read about it in the AM.  And really don't expect we'll have a feel for this year's squad until the 2ndary FA pieces start landing a couple of weeks after it opens.

And totally get not having faith in the Pegulas.  Their teams do bad until they luck into the right managers.  And at this point all we have is to hope they did that w/ Adams because otherwise we'll be wandering the desert for at least 3 more years.

.....or acquiring Hill or putting in a waiver claim for Nedeljovic when he was waived last year.  He seems to be missing for forest through the trees.  He has no idea what to do even when it's obvious.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

.....or acquiring Hill or putting in a waiver claim for Nedeljovic when he was waived last year.  He seems to be missing for forest through the trees.  He has no idea what to do even when it's obvious.

Or, after the start they had last year he did the same thing the last 3 GMs did and fell in love with the idea it was better to waste the current season to get near/to the top of the draft than to pick up a goalie that would be useful in the lost season.

What he does this off-season will let us know if he sandbagged it once things became bleak or if he (& worse yet, his scouts) really can't see a good goalie under any circumstance.

This is beyond frustrating & have lamented enduring this summer far too often for it to be anything but a bore.  But here we are, enduring this summer, hoping Adams knows what he's doing.  The returns are mixed at best.  But it is what it is.

On 7/22/2021 at 2:36 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think that is perfectly reasonable.  Keeping Ullmark is in some ways the status quo.  We need another quality goalie so that we hopefully aren't forced to use UPL and Tokarski to much next season.

3 goalies? Oh, man. I remember when we had 3 when they had a stellar goaltending corps back in 03-04. Miller, Biron, Noronen.

Unless I'm mistaken, we have a long way to go before we're back at that level.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crosschecking said:

3 goalies? Oh, man. I remember when we had 3 when they had a stellar goaltending corps back in 03-04. Miller, Biron, Noronen.

Unless I'm mistaken, we have a long way to go before we're back at that level.

What?  The goal is to keep UPL and Tokarski in the AHL next season.  Seeing them in Buffalo would not be a positive sign for the team.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't intend to make excuses for KA but the reality is that Krueger was running the show last year. Adams was implementing Krueger's requests. All I can say is that we will have to see how tonight transpires, especially if the expected trades materialize. I certainly like the return for Risto. Hopefully the acquired picks turn out to be something worthwhile. There is still plenty of time to maneuver before the season starts. I recommend waiting for the how things turn out after tonight before making a judgment. I'm cautiously optimistic that after tonight the rebuild process will be accelerated and the timetable will be within a reasonable period of time. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What?  The goal is to keep UPL and Tokarski in the AHL next season.  Seeing them in Buffalo would not be a positive sign for the team.

You misunderstood me. I said that unless I'm mistaken, we have a long way to go before they come close to the trio I mentioned.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I don't intend to make excuses for KA but the reality is that Krueger was running the show last year. Adams was implementing Krueger's requests. All I can say is that we will have to see how tonight transpires, especially if the expected trades materialize. I certainly like the return for Risto. Hopefully the acquired picks turn out to be something worthwhile. There is still plenty of time to maneuver before the season starts. I recommend waiting for the how things turn out after tonight before making a judgment. I'm cautiously optimistic that after tonight the rebuild process will be accelerated and the timetable will be within a reasonable period of time. 

I think the return for Risto was excellent, but Hagg is not a step forward on the ice for next season.  So "good" trade, but not a step forward in the short-term.

On 7/22/2021 at 2:59 PM, Rasmus_ said:

Quoting Eklund as a source, is as accurate as tossing a lawn dart into the air and hitting ground.  He tosses it up and if it lands on the ground, that means it's happening according to that goof. 

e1 99% of the time.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, Eleven said:

I think you're misinterpreting me maybe?  A 90 point pace isn't good enough for the team to make the playoffs or do anything meaningful.  They need to be better at nearly every position, including the two goaltender spots.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

On 7/22/2021 at 3:04 PM, darksabre said:

I think if the team manages to get its ***** together in front of Ullmark we'll see fewer injuries from him. I think the strain of having to do too much has been a contributing factor. 

Back in parts of the 90s, we didn't have a good team either. The only man who kept us from being basement dwellers was Dominik Hašek.

18 hours ago, SDS said:

This isn’t even mildly funny to be a joke. My only guess is that it is a smart ass remark, but that wouldn’t make sense because you would have to literally disregard the actual comment to make such an utterly pointless remark. 

Yeah, it could have been worded differently IMO. But I don't exactly have a stellar past on here, so I'm not in a really solid position to defend if my comment would have been any better.

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

image.png.90265e193a527420b398a7659aeb9cf0.png

Obstinate maybe, but I'm not uncooperative. 

There is a wide boundary within the definition of the word. The one thing I know you are not is uncooperative. You are a fine chap. But on certain issues you can be obstinate. I can't criticize anyone for being obstinate because at times I can also be stubborn, as others have often told me. 🍺

https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/recalcitrant

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Has Ullmark re-signed yet? No?  Got to love Eklund.  Has he ever had a real scoop?

Tom Webster yesterday had Risto to Philly (or Edmonton) and the Ullmark contract, he thought they'd both be done yesterday. The first half of that is done today, I trust him because he is trustworthy and it'll happen