Linus Ullmark: Rumors and discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Just now, LTS said:

Sure, but he’s in the depth chart above any draft pick. 

Meant more Ullmark/Tokarski for next year and Wallstedt the heir apparent 

If you take a goalie at 14 overall he's your heir apparent 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Sure. So UPL gets traded. Boom. 

42 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We can't go into next season with Tokarski as our backup. We need to massively upgrade

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There was a report (Modo?) that Ullmark wanted to see what the team did in the off-season before deciding whether to re-sign. Anyone think he’s happy?

He's been busy building a play house for his kids, he probably has no idea what's going on.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There was a report (Modo?) that Ullmark wanted to see what the team did in the off-season before deciding whether to re-sign. Anyone think he’s happy?

Maybe he is?  Maybe he isn't.  If Risto and Sam were disguntled in the room, then I'd say yes, he's happy.  If they weren't then probably not.

It seems that we all have forgotten about Jack.  At this point and with all that has happened, I would be surprised if Jack is back next season.

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There was a report (Modo?) that Ullmark wanted to see what the tdidneam did in the off-season before deciding whether to re-sign. Anyone think he’s happy?

I can't say for sure if he is happy or not. What shouldn't surprise him is that the 3 core players will be moved. Unless he is clueless he knew fully well that those soon to be dispatched players didn't want to be here. The reality is that the Sabres are in a rebuild situation. Does he want to be part of it? If he doesn't then the organization will move on. 

In my opinion from a professional standpoint Ullmark is in a good situation here. He has a good chance of being a #1 goalie and an opportunity to improve his status for his next contract. Ullmark has steadily worked his way up the developmental ladder in this organization. Each year he has gotten better and moved up the ranks.

Through his contract stance it will soon be known whether he wants to be here or not. If he doesn't then the organization will simply seek other options. That's life in the hockey business.  

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

I can't say for sure if he is happy or not. What shouldn't surprise him is that the 3 core players will be moved. Unless he is clueless he knew fully well that those soon to be dispatched players didn't want to be here. The reality is that the Sabres are in a rebuild situation. Does he want to be part of it? If he doesn't then the organization will move on. 

In my opinion from a professional standpoint Ullmark is in a good situation here. He has a good chance of being a #1 goalie and an opportunity to improve his status for his next contract. Ullmark has steadily worked his way up the developmental ladder in this organization. Each year he has gotten better and moved up the ranks.

Through his contract stance it will soon be known whether he wants to be here or not. If he doesn't then the organization will simply seek other options. That's life in the hockey business.  

I doubt he is surprised they were moved, but he may be surprised on the return not getting anything that is going to help the team now. That is what he will need to look at, he isn't getting any younger, and the goaltending FA market isn't that great (he is listed near the top available) so I would think he would find a better situation elsewhere then here. With the chances high that this team won't be any better then they were last year, that is not going to help his stats even if he took a 1 year deal to try and improve them for a bigger deal next offseason. 

FWIW, KA stated quite definitively in his presser yesterday that he wants Linus to be their #1 next year.  I don’t think he would’ve said it that way if he were lowballing Linus, although I’d also guess KA’s offer didn’t blow Linus away.  So I think Linus at this point wants to see what his options are.  

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I doubt he is surprised they were moved, but he may be surprised on the return not getting anything that is going to help the team now. That is what he will need to look at, he isn't getting any younger, and the goaltending FA market isn't that great (he is listed near the top available) so I would think he would find a better situation elsewhere then here. With the chances high that this team won't be any better then they were last year, that is not going to help his stats even if he took a 1 year deal to try and improve them for a bigger deal next offseason. 

The situation in Buffalo from a hockey perspective is a good situation for him. If he signs it is likely that he will be our #1 goalie. Will he get the same opportunities to burnish his stats with another team? I'm not sure that is the case. Will he be offered more money than what Buffalo is willing to pay him? That's what he and his agent will soon find out. I'm also sure that although he is not going to garner a very long term contract I don't think he is willing to settle for a one year deal. 

As I said in a prior post if Ullmark wants to remain in Buffalo he will get paid a fair market contract for the caliber that he is. If he would rather be someplace else then so be it. I'll wish him the best and the organization will proceed to pursue other options. That's how the business works.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, KA stated quite definitively in his presser yesterday that he wants Linus to be their #1 next year.  I don’t think he would’ve said it that way if he were lowballing Linus, although I’d also guess KA’s offer didn’t blow Linus away.  So I think Linus at this point wants to see what his options are.  

Agree. Linus may find his best option is Buffalo.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

IIRC, wasn't it reported mid-season that Ullmark wasn't opposed to re-signing but did want to test FA?

Expecting Adams presented a fair offer and one that might very well be the best he'll receive and 1 he will sign.  But, right now we're 3 days away from FA opening, and can't see him signing in the next 2 days.

Hoping to hear he's a Sabre again on the 28th once the dust settles.

Sadly, by then he might be my favorite remaining Sabre.

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IIRC, wasn't it reported mid-season that Ullmark wasn't opposed to re-signing but did want to test FA?

Expecting Adams presented a fair offer and one that might very well be the best he'll receive and 1 he will sign.  But, right now we're 3 days away from FA opening, and can't see him signing in the next 2 days.

I will still stick to my belief that this deal is pretty much done and will be announced before free agency starts.

• Like (+1) 7

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This is a good one.

I'm on the Captain Jack ship until that truly goes down but once that happens...

Maybe Girgensons? Been here the longest. All-star. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I will still stick to my belief that this deal is pretty much done and will be announced before free agency starts.

Hoping this is another 1 you're right on.  Was very pleased when you chimed in on this thread back on page 1.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I sure hope you’re right, but I don’t see why they would wait to announce a deal if they have agreed to one.  

47 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I sure hope you’re right, but I don’t see why they would wait to announce a deal if they have agreed to one.  

I'm sure Ullmark and his agent have the outline of a deal with the Sabres. It is a contract that he can compare to other offers. If another team is willing to go much beyond it he might consider the outside offer. But I lean towards what @tom websterstated in his post. 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm sure Ullmark and his agent have the outline of a deal with the Sabres. It is a contract that he can compare to other offers. If another team is willing to go much beyond it he might consider the outside offer. But I lean towards what @tom websterstated in his post. 

I think it depends on what Ullmark wants.  He may want to test FA to see what kind of interest is out there for him.  The good news about Adams comments is that it sounded to me like he will get the best money offer from the Sabres to be our number 1.

Teams in FA that might want to sign Ullmark that are contending cup favorites are up against the cap so they won't be able to pay as much.  In the end I think it comes down to does he want the money from the Sabres or does he want to win now with a contending team.  Example Leafs are interested, not sure who else has an open spot but I'm sure that there are some options for him.

Hopefully he takes a quick look and then signs with the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1