Linus Ullmark: Rumors and discussion

GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If he wants 6x6mil I'd offer 4x5mil or 3x6mil at max. It reduces the budget on his backup but should be ok seeing as we are not exactly hung up at the cap ceiling. 

I tend to agree with your logic.  Linus has the upper hand but a 3x6M / 4x5M max seems a great deal for him and where the Sabres are at.  I'm still hoping he signs for less than that!

Sabres (unless something big in the works for a G) pretty much have to have him on the team.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Now there is a pool of 3. 

Goalies don't develop on straight trajectories, until they are literally starting, you don't know if it'll ever happen. They are notoriously difficult to project. 

Yep.  Nobody expected the kid to win the 3 headed goalie battle coming out of the lockout in '05.  But he beat out the 2 older 1st round picks that had appeared to be ahead of him on the depth chart.  The rest was (nearly) history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

That's we've been told to believe.  All goalie transactions over the past four years and the next two years were to enable the development, arrival, and inevitable contender-caliber goaltending provided by UPL.

Because if he didn't do it, who else was supposed to?

Samson Reinhart Devon Levi.

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

6x6 is too much for Ullmark.

IMO, That kinda money and term is for top 15 proven starters. I just don’t view Ullmark in that world …. Yet. And have my doubts he’ll ever be that.

Yeah, it is too much, but 2 comments:

1.  If you don't overask, you'll underget.

2.  This team will likely be bad for 2 more years (and considering this is the Sabres we're talking, that's likely just the minimum); if the team wants Ullmark to stay loyal through the lean years he should be able to expect to get overpaid or get a guarantee he can stay here long enough to be a part of some good times as well.

Would expect the deal to likely be 4 years with an outside possibility of 5.

• Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, freester said:

Per Seravelli , Linus asking for 6 years at 6 million. That’s way too much. 

Markstrom, Binnington, Hellebuyck, Quick, and Gibson. That's the company around 6.

Lehner, Varlamov, Demko are at 5.... and that's where Ullmark fits in.

30 minutes ago, freester said:

He knows that no ufa wants to come to Buffalo so he’s charging a premium to return to the dumpster fire. 

I would, too. Especially trading Risto and Reino and with Eichel's name on the market forever. Buffalo will have the money and the next 2 seasons at minimum the team is going to need the goalie to stand on his head to have a chance.

I'm not sure how much I would want KA to give Linus.  I hate the idea of a 6-year deal for a goalie, but I don't expect him to sign a 3-year deal to stay here, and even a 4-year deal seems pretty iffy.

I could live with 4 years x $6MM, but I think if that's KA's offer, it's pretty likely that Linus will look around.

19 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Markstrom, Binnington, Hellebuyck, Quick, and Gibson. That's the company around 6.

Lehner, Varlamov, Demko are at 5.... and that's where Ullmark fits in.

I would, too. Especially trading Risto and Reino and with Eichel's name on the market forever. Buffalo will have the money and the next 2 seasons at minimum the team is going to need the goalie to stand on his head to have a chance.

But he has KA over a barrel.  Who wants to play here

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I'm not sure how much I would want KA to give Linus.  I hate the idea of a 6-year deal for a goalie, but I don't expect him to sign a 3-year deal to stay here, and even a 4-year deal seems pretty iffy.

I could live with 4 years x $6MM, but I think if that's KA's offer, it's pretty likely that Linus will look around.

The problem is that KA basically backed himself into a corner by letting it be known that he wants Ullmark to be the starter this year.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But he has KA over a barrel.  Who wants to play here

Sounds like "because of the money" may not be a good reason anymore for the Sabres for the reason why someone "wants to be here" 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Did KA say that?

Really, is not that up to the coaching staff.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-plan-for-free-agency-centers-around-keeping-linus-ullmark-jake-mccabe/article_7c2196c8-ee18-11eb-8bb8-eb5c42b920ac.html?src=rss

“We’ve spent a lot of time with Linus’ agent over this offseason, had regular conversations,” Adams said following the NHL draft on Saturday. “We’re going to continue. We’re working hard at it. We’ve made it very clear to them that we would like to see Linus as our No. 1 goalie. We’re going to keep working at it. We’ll see where it gets. I also understand the rights players have and sometimes they make decisions but we’re going to do everything we can. We’ve been open and honest from the beginning with Linus and his agent that we prioritize him.”

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sounds like "because of the money" may not be a good reason anymore for the Sabres for the reason why someone "wants to be here" 

Especially if you are in your prime and contenders are knocking at your door with similar money.  If I was Ullmark I’d take Toronto’s money also.  I’ve said for weeks that Anderson will be our starter next season and I haven’t seen anything to dissuade me from that belief. 

I can see us signing someone like Jones as his backup.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-plan-for-free-agency-centers-around-keeping-linus-ullmark-jake-mccabe/article_7c2196c8-ee18-11eb-8bb8-eb5c42b920ac.html?src=rss

“We’ve spent a lot of time with Linus’ agent over this offseason, had regular conversations,” Adams said following the NHL draft on Saturday. “We’re going to continue. We’re working hard at it. We’ve made it very clear to them that we would like to see Linus as our No. 1 goalie. We’re going to keep working at it. We’ll see where it gets. I also understand the rights players have and sometimes they make decisions but we’re going to do everything we can. We’ve been open and honest from the beginning with Linus and his agent that we prioritize him.”

I hope they sign Linus, but this could be a problem.

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I believe it’s three years for around $5M. Players who believe in themselves want to keep deals at 3 years because cap is expected to sky rocket in three years. All these young guys signing 8 year deals are going to regret it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Especially if your in your prime and contenders are knocking at your door with similar money.  If I was Ullmark I’d take Toronto’s money also.  I’ve said for weeks that Anderson will be our starter next season and I haven’t seen anything to dissuade me from that belief. 

I can see us signing someone like Jones as his backup.

Anderson rumored to Canes

https://www.tsn.ca/carolina-hurricanes-tony-deangelo-frederik-andersen-1.1674009

They gotta get this done. 

We are past the draft, it's free agency, and we are haggling with the best goalie on the market (when we need 2) over a couple million or a couple years, when we have oodles of cap space. When our best goalie currently is Dustin Tokarski. Being in a "rebuild" really skews perception

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I believe it’s three years for around $5M. Players who believe in themselves want to keep deals at 3 years because cap is expected to sky rocket in three years. All these young guys signing 8 year deals are going to regret it.

If you are thinking Ullmark is asking for 3 years, all the more reason this should be done. If the cap *is* expected to go up in 3 years, no harm in going over 3 years to get this down then either. 

• Like (+1) 2