Expansion Draft -- Wed. July 21, 2021 (Release the Kraken)

Hoss

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Would acquiring a $10M player in a trade fix that?

Asking for a friend.

No.  They need to be at their minimum expansion draft salary at the end of the expansion draft.  (They also need to remain below the expansion draft max salary, but that appears not to be remotely an issue.  Unless a whole lot of "insiders" have their heads up their bippies.)

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not really presuming the other rumored choices are also correct.

Barring several trades (which could obviously still happen) or injuries there is little likelihood that Borgen is one of their top 8 D on opening night.  Which effectively gives him back to Buffalo in October if Adams wants him back.

This could be the case. If it's not it's not like we lost Victor Hedman although another week or two some would have elevated him to that level.

• Thanks (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Radar said:

This could be the case. If it's not it's not like we lost Victor Hedman although another week or two some would have elevated him to that level.

Would you have rather lost Miller + a 4th(for Seattle taking him), or Borgen?

Edited by LabattBlue

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

For me, I'd have had Miller + our MTL 5th (we don't own ours, so it's late 5th round) on the table instead of Borgen, and I could have caved for the 4th. We've got 10 picks in this year's draft. It costs more to replace him in UFA than if we'd have spent a mid-round pick, especially if it's a JAG that we overvalue (Matt Irwin, for example), or worse, a multi-year deal on an overpay for someone who is fine, but whom Borgen quickly outgrows.

53 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not really presuming the other rumored choices are also correct.

Barring several trades (which could obviously still happen) or injuries there is little likelihood that Borgen is one of their top 8 D on opening night.  Which effectively gives him back to Buffalo in October if Adams wants him back.

Holistically, yes. But I was speaking specifically from Buffalo's available list. Miller, he's peaked and his pricetag isn't great for being a #7. Girgs was hurt and is JAG, plus overpaid. Okposo would be a good choice, but the injuries, no way. Skinner: ha! Give me the upside. The total sleeper would have been Ogelvie, because Seattle also needs to fill out half an AHL roster this season, but he also cannot seem to stay healthy.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Power is LHD, where the Sabres are deep.

Not directed at you specifically but why do people keep saying this? We are NOT deep at ANY position. 

What? Is Bryson an allstar in people's minds now? It just seems ridiculous to me that people don't want Power because they think we have too many good left hand D men. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not directed at you specifically but why do people keep saying this? We are NOT deep at ANY position. 

What? Is Bryson an allstar in people's minds now? It just seems ridiculous to me that people don't want Power because they think we have too many good left hand D men. 

There's no viable argument imo that we don't need Power

There's a viable argument that we need him less than an elite centre prospect 

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

100%. This team needs everything and high-end defensemen is very near the top of the list of things we need.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is fair.  My point was more that the decision as to whether to draft Power shouldn't be informed by the loss of Borgen, since they play different sides.

• Like (+1) 1

FROM TSN.CA  https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-kraken-expansion-draft-blog-1.1670707  Here's a summary of the reported picks so far:

Forwards - Mason Appleton (WPG), Joonas Donskoi (COL), Jordan Eberle (NYI), Morgan Geekie (CAR), Jared McCann (TOR), Alexander True (SJS)

Defence - Gavin Bayreuther (CBJ), William Borgen (BUF), Mark Giordano (CAL), Cale Fleury (MTL), Haydn Fleury (CAR), Adam Larsson (EDM), Carson Soucy (MIN)

Goaltenders - Chris Driedger (FLA), Joey Daccord (OTT), Vitek Vanecek (WAS)

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Miller plus 4th.   I’m not sweating losing Borgen either.  

Seattle picked a bunch of defenseman but they needed more at RHD. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

Has anyone speculated that eichel could go to Seattle, for #2 plus more? It just makes so much sense to me. Seattle gets a star franchise center with immediate impact who’s locked up for years, they’ll have a ton of cap space based on their expansion roster leaks, and the #2 overall most likely won’t contribute this year in what’s said to be a poor draft. 

the part that is iffy is what would they have to offer besides #2 overall. Maybe they get a bunch of draft capital in side deals? Or maybe botterill says no way Jose are we bringing in that guy. Who knows but I found it interesting there’s been no reported interest 

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Satisfied as is. We were going to lose a player and we did. Borgen looked good but very small sample size.

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Nice strawman.

wizard of oz dorothy GIF

Whatever. Thanks for your insight.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Colin Miller is also severely underrated by this fanbase. He's a much better defenseman than anyone gives him credit for. If this team is good this season he's going to play a big part in that.

The reason this fanbase (and many others) underrate defensemen so badly is because they’re hard to evaluate so when the team is bad it’s easy to assume it’s on the defense.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Colin Miller is also severely underrated by this fanbase. He's a much better defenseman than anyone gives him credit for. If this team is good this season he's going to play a big part in that.

If Risto’s gone, Miller will inherit his offensive minutes.

It will be the first time he’s been properly used in his Sabres career.

Botterill was such a moron when it came to roster building.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

If Risto’s gone, Miller will inherit his offensive minutes.

It will be the first time he’s been properly used in his Sabres career.

Botterill was such a moron when it came to roster building.

Ironically this is the perfect thread to discuss Botterill’s roster building.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.