Expansion Draft -- Wed. July 21, 2021 (Release the Kraken)

Hoss

10 minutes ago, Stads said:

Did it ring any bells once you looked it up?

Nope.  Never heard of him.  That period of my life was when I had stopped following the NHL altogether.  We were living in the Dallas TV market, didn't have NHL Center Ice (if it even existed then?).  So no... never heard of the guy.

I did find this little blurb about that expansion draft interesting:

In 1990, as a result of slipping attendance, George and Gordon Gund, the owners of the Minnesota North Stars, petitioned the NHL for permission to relocate their team to the San Francisco Bay Area. The NHL denied their request, with other owners wishing for the market to be used to draw a lucrative expansion fee. As a compromise, the league agreed to award the Gund brothers a new NHL expansion franchise to be located in the Bay Area, which would become the San Jose Sharks. The Gunds would sell the North Stars to an NHL-approved purchaser. One of the conditions of sale and expansion deal was that the Sharks would have the right to draft players from the North Stars organization. After that draft, the North Stars' roster would be replenished by the expansion draft as well.

The Gunds paid $50 million for the Sharks franchise. They sold the North Stars to a consortium consisting of Howard Baldwin, Morris Belzberg, and Norman Green for $31.5 million. A series of disputes led to the team being completely controlled by Green, who would eventually move the team to Dallas after the 1992–93 season.

George and Gordon Gund had previously owned the Cleveland Barons and its predecessor, the California Golden Seals, before merging that team with, and ultimately assuming ownership of, the North Stars in 1978. By spinning off the Sharks from the North Stars, it effectively undid the 13-year merger between the two franchises.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

IMO … Chris Fowler was freakin horrific. And not because he took shots at sucky teams. His delivery, his jokes or witty comments were bad. He’s just terrible. God awful. I hope he never graces my tv again. I can’t believe ESPN looks at him and thinks “he’s great to have on the payroll”.

Yikes!

Edited by Zamboni

58 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

by design, methinks.

It was a random doodle by Sam Darnold when they asked him to draw the Panthers logo

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Have we seen anything about side deals yet?

There are reports going in both directions. A few saying there are a few that will be announced at 1pm tomorrow and then a few reports saying there is maybe one or two at most. Either way, I think Seattle badly overplayed their hand and missed some big opportunities here.

Reports that they asked for a 1st and a 3rd from Calgary to protected Mark Giordano who will be 38 in a couple months and is a UFA next offseason. They asked for multiple picks and a prospect for Montreal to protect Jake Allen and then Montreal just gamed the hell out of them and protected Allen, exposing their two most important players and ending up losing nobody.

It's clear teams learned from their mistakes with Vegas but I also think Seattle just swung too far.

42 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Seriously. They have Buccigross on payroll.

And this is EXACTLY the environment he would thrive in. He's going to be bad at play by play (I've heard him do it, he's bad) but this? This was all him.

50 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They are not going to trade Him anymore.  Had Price not waved His NMC, Montreal was going to move Him so they did not lose Him for nothing in the expansion draft. 

I like that you capitalized "Him" like Jake Allen is god.

44 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It was a random doodle by Sam Darnold when they asked him to draw the Panthers logo

There are reports going in both directions. A few saying there are a few that will be announced at 1pm tomorrow and then a few reports saying there is maybe one or two at most. Either way, I think Seattle badly overplayed their hand and missed some big opportunities here.

Reports that they asked for a 1st and a 3rd from Calgary to protected Mark Giordano who will be 38 in a couple months and is a UFA next offseason. They asked for multiple picks and a prospect for Montreal to protect Jake Allen and then Montreal just gamed the hell out of them and protected Allen, exposing their two most important players and ending up losing nobody.

It's clear teams learned from their mistakes with Vegas but I also think Seattle just swung too far.

I do think they missed some great opportunities like Pettersson from Pittsburgh. 

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I do think they missed some great opportunities like Pettersson from Pittsburgh. 

One team I think they outsmarted was St. Louis. I was all over Tarasenko and still sort of wish they had taken him for the fun of it but I have a feeling they have a wink wink deal done with Jaden Schwartz which would mean they end up with Vince Dunn AND a good top-six winger in the deal.

Tarasenko would've very likely been a pick and flip.

53 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Chris Fowler did the draft broadcast?  (I was at the Sox-Jays game.)  How?  Why?  This isn't college football!

Oof. Sounds like he was way out of his element.

4 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Yuck fou, Chris.

5 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

This would be fun and interesting. 

I would add a couple rules - the last place team electing for “expansion” draft has to pick last in the entry draft, and cannot do another “expansion” draft for 10 years. 

I think the issue with that, is you could just sell off the team for picks at the trade deadline, and load up your pipeline quickly. It would be too easy to do. 

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

So that would run counter to Perreault's theory.  Maybe Francis just shut him out on the Sabres selection?

How many of their picks were Americans & Euros?  (A lot of Canadians would boost his theory.)  Any Russians?

[Edit: They did avoid Tarasanko.  That's a tough one to fit into the theory. 😉 ]

Edited by Taro T

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

Already seeing reporters do the traditional back off where they initially said earlier today there were a lot of deals that we didn’t know about with Seattle just to turn around and now say there aren’t many if any that will be announced. NHL reporters are exhausting.

It's all fake, but it's getting faker 

5 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

I think the issue with that, is you could just sell off the team for picks at the trade deadline, and load up your pipeline quickly. It would be too easy to do. 

Wasn't going to comment on this but it seems to have traction: This couldn't happen and the NHLPA would see to that. Sign a big contract, have a down year as your team finishes last, and your contract gets scrapped? Here, take 3 mil per less from your new team on the open market after that Skinner-esque season. Injured in season? Too bad. 

You can't nuke 23 contracts in one go every year. 

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

Wasn't going to comment on this but it seems to have traction: This couldn't happen and the NHLPA would see to that. Sign a big contract, have a down year as your team finishes last, and your contract gets scrapped? Here, take 3 mil per less from your new team on the open market after that Skinner-esque season. Injured in season? Too bad. 

Exactly. The NHLPA would not allow it. unless...

Part of the payment to do so would be to pay out all remaining contracts in full. Basically, the owner can't escape for having a reset button like a video game. The fellow owners would need to hold each other accountable. A large re-buy-in (expansion) fee... $250M or thereabouts paid out to the other owners. Then, the guaranteed payout of all remaining salaries so you can't just escape your poor judgment on contracts that got you into the current situation. It needs to be a sufficient deterrent that teams don't churn. Once every 8 years, sure. Every offseason? It'd be painful. There's enough turnover as there is.

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

It's all fake, but it's getting faker 

It was tongue in cheek...

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

^ Clearly this requires a punishment.  How about their most recent 1st round pick must be placed on waivers for any team to claim? That seems just.

Would the Sabres be first in line for that?

I know the expansion draft worked that way with Borgen.

You know what, I would accept Borgen back as a penalty for these shenanigans.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.