Jeff Skinner Agrees to waive His NMC for Expansion Draft

Brawndo

Skinner would only be traded to Buffalo or Toronto a few years back. I think being close to home was very important to him. Seattle is a long way away, and I think he did this to help out the team and let us protect one more guy. I am grateful that he did this because he definitely didn't need to

Now you can keep Tage with little controversy 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought Kevyn Adams was too dumb to ask.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I haven't heard anyone suggest this

I have definitely read what PTR had.  It is on a board of purported Buffalo Sabres fans.  But given that GMKA hired HCDG, was listening to calls on Jack Eichel, is listening to calls on Sam Reinhart, and/or apparently isn't in on Ristolainen being a great defencemen, people have been expressing sentiments questioning GMKA's IQ, desire to improve the team, or otherwise impugning his character.  Apparently, the first straw of hiring HCDG was the one which broke the camel's back and now it's "Dogpile on the GM."

To be honest, @PromoTheRobot typed what I was going to type.  I'm a born pessimist, but even I can't stand that much negativity.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I would note that Skinner does not have a signing bonus until next year and that might appeal to Seattle as they get their feet wet. His 9mil in cap depending on their expansion list could be very useful against their floor. Further many of the underlying shot generating metrics and penalty drawing metrics remained even as his production cratered. 6 years though, seems like a lot. 

I would guess that Buffalo has something in place for Seattle to get a 5th and take Miller. 

If they have a deal in place for Seattle to take Miller, why go through this public spectacle of Skinner waiving his NMC?

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

If they have a deal in place for Seattle to take Miller, why go through this public spectacle of Skinner waiving his NMC?

Maybe they don’t have a deal in place for them to take Miller, but something like this helps KA make a deal with Seattle to take anyone except Borgen.  

• Thanks (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

There's a few potential reasons.

1.  Seattle might consider Bjork (or Asplund or Thompson, whomever the Sabres consider their best forward) to be worth a 2nd round pick in his own right, but doesn't have much value on Borgen/Ristolainen (whichever 1 Adams considers the 4th D) and believe that Bjork is worth more than Miller plus whatever sweetener the Sabres may be willing to part with to be allowed to choose who Seattle takes.

2.  The Sabres MAY have a deal lined up for Ristolainen (ideally for a goalie or young exempt skater) and by protecting Bjork the Sabres no longer care who Seattle takes.

3.  The Sabres may have some other deal to bring in another F that would need to be protected and are OK with losing their current #8 guy but losing #7 makes the cost of the other deal too steep.

4. Unlikely.  Adams knows from being friends w/ Francis that Seattle has no intention to claim Jeff, but Adams wants to help Jeff get the fans off his case and showing he's a team player could be a start in that direction.

There's probably a few others, but those are all somewhat plausible.  And then there's the VERY IMPROBABLE grand daddy of them all, that Adams & Francis agreed that if he's available Seattle would take Skinner & Adams lied through his teeth to Meehan's & Skinner's faces to get him to waive the NMC.  (Like stated above, improbable.  It also creates trust issues w/ players & agents moving forward for Adams.  But it would be ballsy.)

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure this is just a do it for the team kind of move and it's designed simply to protect an extra body since Seattle won't take that contract (and good for Jeff for doing that) but..................here's where I dream.............

It was pointed out to me in an earlier thread that Seattle couldn't focus on grabbing younger cheaper guys since they had to take on some salaries in this draft as they have to spend up to a cap floor. So if they were given some sort of incentive to take a guy like Skinner. A guy who MIGHT get them 20-30 goals for a few years, and sure they overpay him, but then they are part way there to that cap issue already and then they can focus on more young cheaper players to build with.........if they rise quickly they can always buy him out after 4 years or so, but if he fits in ........ it's not an impossible scenario. 

I can dream. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Skinner would only be traded to Buffalo or Toronto a few years back. I think being close to home was very important to him. Seattle is a long way away, and I think he did this to help out the team and let us protect one more guy. I am grateful that he did this because he definitely didn't need to

Now you can keep Tage with little controversy 

True.  

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Except he sucks. 

I thought he took some very positive steps last season once RK was canned.  I think Granato likes him too  

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

He does. But they were gonna keep him at likely expense to Bjork or Asplund, and now we doont have to worry about that 

I think he can be a very good 3rd line guy.  If Jack and Sam are gone and he is forced into the top 6 it will not be ideal.  

28 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I guesd he hopes to get out too

I doubt that very much.  This is just a move to help the team out.  Seattle isn’t taking him and Skinner seems to want to stay close to home very much.

Maybe you were just joking around though.

Seattle asked the league if they could pass on taking a Sabre player.  They said no.  Unfortunately, KA heard about Seattle's request 10 minutes after asking Skinner if he'd drop his NMC and announcing it.  

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I could see Tage blossoming after we let him go. That would be the cherry on the ROR trade sundae.

I think Tage might have another level. I don’t WANT to lose him but right handed defensemen are harder to come by.

11 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Las Vegas shows expansion teams can be good.

Especially when you give them players to... take other good players.  We'll give you Reilly smith if you take marchessault was... not a great trade looking back.  Tuch to take Haula.  Same with the Clarkson contract to take Karlsson.  Theodore to take Stoner.... 

When you look at what you can get for 1 season (or deadline deal) for risto... is it worth packaging anything to make sure they take miller? That is probably similar to the compensation you can get back in a risto deal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.