Jeff Skinner Agrees to waive His NMC for Expansion Draft

Brawndo

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Does this signal how Jeff is another veteran who wouldn’t mind moving on?

😘

His willingness to put himself in jeopardy (as unlikely as it may be) in order to help out the organization could be interpreted that he is bought in to the Granato era. He knows that Granato is a coach that will do everything he can to enhance his play. By allowing himself to be exposed in the upcoming expansion draft he is demonstrating that he wants to take an action that will benefit the team. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Does this signal how Jeff is another veteran who wouldn’t mind moving on?

😘

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Asking Skinner to waive the clause was Adams' final test: He said "yes", so now Adams has decided he needs to be moved and will pay what it takes

Interesting.  From Skinner’s perspective I don’t think he would waive unless he were OK with Seattle taking him.  And I wouldn’t be surprised if Adams, as part of his reset of the team culture, were trying to work out a deal with Seattle to take him.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  From Skinner’s perspective I don’t think he would waive unless he were OK with Seattle taking him.  And I wouldn’t be surprised if Adams, as part of his reset of the team culture, were trying to work out a deal with Seattle to take him.

I was joking around there playing off the idea of Adams' "only guys who want to be here" thing but I have no doubt Adams would work out a deal if he could. 

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Unless Ron Francis gets high on ludes the day of the expansion draft there is zero chance Seattle selects him.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought Kevyn Adams was too dumb to ask.

This totally makes sense. Leave the Sabres to join an expansion team. 👍

It would probably be a pretty even bet as to who will have more points this year, the Sabres or the Kraken.  At least in Vegas, not in the Sabres fandom bubble.

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Unless Ron Francis gets high on ludes the day of the expansion draft there is zero chance Seattle selects him.

I agree that Seattle won’t take him without the Sabres sweetening the pot, but that could happen, and Skinner might require less sweetening than you think.  Maybe if the Sabres swap draft slots with Seattle, plus expose Risto?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

His willingness to put himself in jeopardy (as unlikely as it may be) in order to help out the organization could be interpreted that he is bought in to the Granato era. He knows that Granato is a coach that will do everything he can to enhance his play. By allowing himself to be exposed in the upcoming expansion draft he is demonstrating that he wants to take an action that will benefit the team. 

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  From Skinner’s perspective I don’t think he would waive unless he were OK with Seattle taking him.

While I’m grateful to Jeff, I can’t see any universe where @nfreeman’s statement is not true.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it's even money as to whether Seattle chooses Skinner or not, perhaps with some sweetener from Buffalo. 

The personal connection between Francis and Skinner cannot be underestimated. Francis may look at Skinner and see the former 40 goal scorer who just needs to be unleashed and he has plenty of cap room to accommodate him, to say the least.  Sabres fans keep seeing Skinner under Krueger and suffer from recency bias. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sakman said:

I think it's even money as to whether Seattle chooses Skinner or not, perhaps with some sweetener from Buffalo. 

The personal connection between Francis and Skinner cannot be underestimated. Francis may look at Skinner and see the former 40 goal scorer who just needs to be unleashed and he has plenty of cap room to accommodate him, to say the least.  Sabres fans keep seeing Skinner under Krueger and suffer from recency bias. 

Why assume Francis & Skinner have a good relationship?

Supposedly Brind'amour can't stand Skinner.  Could see Francis having a similar take on him.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sakman said:

Skinner was declining before Krueger even got here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

Jeff Skinner, most likely doing his team a big favor.

This is exactly right.  This move proves that he is a real team player here in Buffalo.

I can't see anyway that Seattle will take him.  This allows the Sabres to protect another forward that they would have to and there is a real risk that player could have been sellected by Seattle.

As @LGR4GM noted, there is the distinct possiblility that there is a gentleman's (for now) deal in place for Seattle to select a lesser Dman (likely Miller) in exchange for a law end draft pick.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Doubt it.  Huge contract.  But it does mean that the Sabres can protect one more forward.

This is exactly what I was thinking. There’s no way Seattle would take him and his fat bloated crazy contract. but I am glad it allows us to protect one more Player.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, sabrefanday1 said:

I suspect KA has already talked to Seattle and knows (and has assured Sklnner) that they have no intention of taking him. This really helps though! Either way it is a win-win so good move by KA.. 

you think Seattle is helping the Sabres protect more desirable players? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

you think Seattle is helping the Sabres protect more desirable players? 

This is a good question and on the surface it does seem odd for them to do that, but yes.

The Sabres do not have many really desirable players, so Seattle will have to take someone basically to fill a roster spot.  There are other teams that will not be able to protect much more desirable players and Seattle will take as many of those as possibe.

I think that makes sense, but maybe only to me ... lol!!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.