Terry Pegula wants Owen Power.

Buffalonill

An interview is extremely important. You would think candidates would be on their best behavior (ie faking it), but that’s usually not how it works. I have interviewed many people, usually young, and sometimes you’re shocked in what you hear. 

TP also was friends with and liked Jakob Chychrun, but allowed JMTM to screw up and draft Nylander instead.  So much for TP's infernal meddling with the draft.   Actually I hope that TP gets his wish.  Power seems like the best prospect.  It would be nice if we could trade for a top pick (Seattle) to get Beniers too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

TP also was friends with and liked Jakob Chychrun, but allowed JMTM to screw up and draft Nylander instead.  So much for TP's infernal meddling with the draft.   Actually I hope that TP gets his wish.  Power seems like the best prospect.  It would be nice if we could trade for a top pick (Seattle) to get Beniers too.

Are you trying to argue against the prevailing opinion with genuine evidence and reasoned thought?  Learn from the mistakes @Radar, @PromoTheRobot, and I have made.  Repeat after me: "Anything which fails to portray TP and KP in the worst light is ipso facto wrong."

I hope this helps you keep your sanity.  I try to be fair and honest, but my views are insufficiently derogatory for virtually everyone here.

10 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Why?

What if he doesn't like Buffalo? That seems to be high the list of desirables for a Sabre player.  How do you not feel it's necessary to interview any draft pick let alone first overall?  I mean what team wants to draft someone real high, give him a huge contract then want to get rid of him halfway through the contract and start rebuilding again?

It’s preposterous to think Adams and Granato will not interview and get a complete background on the character of the new players they draft or bring into the team… Adams is using the Beane-McDermott team building model… and my bet is he is consulting with them… and they are happy to give him guidance… Will be sorry to see Reinhart leave… Too bad he will miss the fun of being a part of the Sabres future… Unless Adams screws the pooch… it is bright…

On 6/30/2021 at 1:14 PM, WildCard said:

Someone lock Terry in a broom closet for the draft. God ***** just pay the bills and let people do their jobs

*Hopefully* this is leaked on purpose to help us, somehow. Or the information is simply false.

I mean he did also want the Bills to take Mahomes, so there is that...

10 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Are you trying to argue against the prevailing opinion with genuine evidence and reasoned thought?  Learn from the mistakes @Radar, @PromoTheRobot, and I have made.  Repeat after me: "Anything which fails to portray TP and KP in the worst light is ipso facto wrong."

I hope this helps you keep your sanity.  I try to be fair and honest, but my views are insufficiently derogatory for virtually everyone here.

Nice strawman there.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Nice strawman there.

Yes, it is.  But that does accurately express how I feel.  It also reflects how I feel about being condescended to by the more negative people on this board.  I am not even debating that you are wrong on the substance (indeed, overall substance, I would say most are fairly accurate and I agree wholeheartedly), just on degree -- but that is not enough for some.

Addendum:

This is the thread that really set me off.  I was saying that yes, Pegula shooting his mouth off is less a thumb on the scale and more like a slab of lead.  However, we do have evidence that he has let the GMs pick their own guy -- and in two of the cases, he's been right and the GM wrong (Chychrun over Nylander, Mahomes over whoever the Bills took).  But that was denigrated as me being some kind of apologist and written off as irrelevant.  Some respect from others, yourself included, would have prevented me from showing similar disrepsect with the straw man.  I am not even asking that you agree.  Just acknowledge that the other person has a fair point from their point of view.

And @PromoTheRobot takes a lot more on the chin than I do.  I can only wonder what he thinks sometimes.  @Radar saying he was swearing off the board was the last straw.

Also, because people stuck their neck out for me to their own detriment when I was a child, I stick up for people whom I think have been mistreated, even if I don't agree with them.  It's another part of who I am.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan

• nfreeman changed the title to Terry Pegula wants Owen Power.
28 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Yes, it is.  But that does accurately express how I feel.  It also reflects how I feel about being condescended to by the more negative people on this board.  I am not even debating that you are wrong on the substance (indeed, overall substance, I would say most are fairly accurate and I agree wholeheartedly), just on degree -- but that is not enough for some.

Addendum:

This is the thread that really set me off.  I was saying that yes, Pegula shooting his mouth off is less a thumb on the scale and more like a slab of lead.  However, we do have evidence that he has let the GMs pick their own guy -- and in two of the cases, he's been right and the GM wrong (Chychrun over Nylander, Mahomes over whoever the Bills took).  But that was denigrated as me being some kind of apologist and written off as irrelevant.  Some respect from others, yourself included, would have prevented me from showing similar disrepsect with the straw man.  I am not even asking that you agree.  Just acknowledge that the other person has a fair point from their point of view.

And @PromoTheRobot takes a lot more on the chin than I do.  I can only wonder what he thinks sometimes.  @Radar saying he was swearing off the board was the last straw.

Also, because people stuck their neck out for me to their own detriment when I was a child, I stick up for people whom I think have been mistreated, even if I don't agree with them.  It's another part of who I am.

They haven't been mistreated. It's hockey chat and they give as good as they get. If Radar wants to leave after getting scolded for saying a fellow fan is rooting for the team to fail, that's on him.

3 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Addendum:

Thanks for the concern but I'm fine. I don't let the negativity ruin things for me. This is no different than Two Bill Drive in the midst of the 17-year playoff drought. Some people love to wallow in misery.

When you're at the bottom you can feel sorry for yourself, or you can work to climb out. Based on what I saw from Don Granato's Sabres last year, I have confidence this team can start climbing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

They haven't been mistreated. It's hockey chat and they give as good as they get. If Radar wants to leave after getting scolded for saying a fellow fan is rooting for the team to fail, that's on him.

He didn't "get scolded."  You told him to "**** right off."  That is poor behavior, which you are well past being too old to engage in, and is not how we communicate here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

He didn't "get scolded."  You told him to "**** right off."  That is poor behavior, which you are well past being too old to engage in, and is not how we communicate here.

Radar had that scolding coming.  PA, or anyone else here, doesn’t need to be told what to post and what tone to take.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Radar had that scolding coming.  PA, or anyone else here, doesn’t need to be told what to post and what tone to take.

Right on. 

I’m also well beyond tired of hearing about how some fans LIKE to wallow in this misery. Reacting positively to everything in the face of 10 years of near abject failure isn’t high minded or desirable, it’s just head in the sand oblivious. Any realist would be coming off as “negative” merely by accurately responding to the events that have taken place over the last several years. 

Show me a poster who highlights all that’s been undesirable, when accurate, yet one who’s somehow still here doing all that posting in the face of it, and I’ll show you what hope looks like. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Weave said:

There are plenty of ways to communicate this that are better than telling someone to "***** right off."

• Thanks (+1) 1

I think Terry is a meddler. I think he always has been and always will be. But I also think if you're using him liking the expected 1OA pick as an example of it you're trying too hard. Just my opinion,  YMMV. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Brian Duff was on WGR and mentioned the Sabres Front Office are saving the Top Prospects for Their Final Interviews over the next two weeks 

Fine.  They have a lot on their plates right now, so delay this until closer to the draft is fine by me, for whatever that's worth.

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

What’s hilarious is that the last time I saw that phrase on the board, it was a mod who wrote it, and it was to PA.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.