Official Don Granato Named New Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Did you feel the same way when they hired Housley? 

I bought into him, yeah. Former Sabre great. Looked like a decent resume. Didn't care for his politics. McDermott was impressive early on though the local media was having a good laugh at his process mantra back then. I like Donnie because of what he was able to do with a broken team. Grant it he didn't get to the cup finals which I'm guessing was @Thorny and @pi2000 benchmark.

Granato huh.  No surprise there.  I would have made a run for Gallant   

I do not buy into Granato being the right coach because of our young roster.  He played the cards he was dealt and he was better than Krueger, a ponderously low chinning bar.  I’m tired of settling and seeing the best coaches and FO personnel go elsewhere.  

I like Granato and I wish him well, but I’m underwhelmed by the exhaustive coaching search. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My feelings about the hire, and the Sabres in general, is pretty well summarized by this quote from Charlie Munger, who is Warren Buffett's 97-year old partner at Berkshire Hathaway (and a really bright guy):

"The secret to happiness is to lower your expectations. ...that is what you compare your experience with. If your expectations and standards are very high and only allow yourself to be happy when things are exquisite, you'll never be happy and grateful. There will always be some flaw. But compare your experience with lower expectations, especially something not as good, and you'll find much in your experience of the world to love, cherish and enjoy, every single moment."

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Pimlach said:

Granato huh.  No surprise there.  I would have made a run for Gallant   

I do not buy into Granato being the right coach because of our young roster.  He played the cards he was dealt and he was better than Krueger, a ponderously low chinning bar.  I’m tired of settling and seeing the best coaches and FO personnel go elsewhere.  

I like Granato and I wish him well, but I’m underwhelmed by the exhaustive coaching search. 

I wanted Gallant as well. But if they were going to get him it needed to happen the day they fired RK.  I feel better about Granato than anyone hired since Lindy was fired. 

• Like (+1) 4

I'm genuinely excited for him.  I don't know how good he will be, but I think he will restore some dignity to the franchise by doing things right.  I like to think that will result in winning a lot of games.

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I feel better about Granato than anyone hired since Lindy was fired. 

Yes.  This times 123%.

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, actually.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

My feelings about the hire, and the Sabres in general, is pretty well summarized by this quote from Charlie Munger, who is Warren Buffett's 97-year old partner at Berkshire Hathaway (and a really bright guy):

"The secret to happiness is to lower your expectations. ...that is what you compare your experience with. If your expectations and standards are very high and only allow yourself to be happy when things are exquisite, you'll never be happy and grateful. There will always be some flaw. But compare your experience with lower expectations, especially something not as good, and you'll find much in your experience of the world to love, cherish and enjoy, every single moment."

Good advice from a guy working financial investments but terrible for  sports.  

My minimal expectation is competence. Then passion. Then competitive. Then consistent winning.  Then a championship.  The Sabres have not showed any semblance of step 1 competence since Drury and Briere were allowed to walk.  The fan base is numb to it. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

My minimal expectation is competence. Then passion. Then competitive. Then consistent winning.  Then a championship.  The Sabres have not showed any semblance of step 1 competence since Drury and Briere were allowed to walk.  The fan base is numb to it. 

I guess I fret (and have higher expectations) about things I have control over. Not saying that's right, just what I've learned over my 54 years on Earth. I can piss and moan all I want to about the Bills and Sabres, but it doesn't change anything. To each his own, I guess. Go Sabres!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did you feel the same way when the Bills hired McDermott?

Well McDermott had absolutely no head coaching experience, whereas meatballs was at least interim for a bit, so we kinda gotta a taste. But I don't expect much improvement with Granato unfortunately. Mcdermott was a diamond in the rough. Hopefully Donnie Meatballs can turnout the same. But I'm not holding my breath with this shitshow of a franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The interesting thing I found with Granato was that he adjusted his team in game to issues. A good coach knows how to tweak and change things to counter other teams. That said, we definitely do not know if how we played will work in a full season. 

There was a game last year when Tage took a foolish  and ill-timed penalty. And in that game he also started reverting to his loping style of play instead of playing with more decisiveness. If I recall correctly he benched him for a game or so and then he sparingly played him making him earn back his playing time. His play improved and his playing time increased. He made his players accountable and they played better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bravo, Adams… Congrats, Granato… Earned after decades of winning coaching at several levels… Deserved after taking over the Sabres and leading the team out of its misery… Exciting times for this young team and its coach… 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did you feel the same way when the Bills hired McDermott?

Nobody wanted McDermott. It's an offensive league and the likes of Shanahans and McVays were going around. Everyone took one look at McDermott and, frankly, thought his religion and raport with the Pegulas gave him the job.

So, in that sense, maybe Adams and Granto will prove some people wrong, including myself. I hope so. I have much higher hopes for Granato than Adams though.

Edited by WildCard

58 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

With the franchise deteriorating from the inside out and players wanting to leave, it's going to be less than stellar results first.  I suspect the mantra in 2021-22 will center around how they have a great young core of talent that needs to develop.  Certainly.  But the team isn't better with, most likely, Eichel and Reinhart leaving.  

I'm not sure that a new HC who uses his players' strengths is enough to overcome a drop in talent.  The NHL is too competitive.  

As to Munger's point...my expectations were that these owners would get out of the way (for the most part), hire good hockey people, and the team would succeed.  10+ years later ownership hasn't improved.  Everything flows from there...which is why we're doing the very Billsy circa 2006-2010 era in-house hire dance.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I hated the Housley hire from the get go.   Inexperience.

Granato has plenty of pro coaching experience which I'm going to try and remain optimistic about, but the results last season speak for themselves, nine wins in 28 games? Not exactly setting the world on fire.  Rolston was 15-16 in 31 games to end the season. 

I mean, just... yeah... it sucks nobody decent wants to coach this team, and I don't think that will change while Pegula is running the show, unfortunately. 

They're going to have to catch lightning in a bottle to get out of this mess... Is Granato that guy?   I hope so, but damn, try and do better for once.

Edited by pi2000

38 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Indifference.  That is my response to this hire. 

To anyone who can get worked up in a positive way over this meh hiring, you have survived this 10 year nightmare better than I have. 

I like listening to Granato talk about hockey, both the human side, and the Xs and Os side.

I don't think I have thought that about anyone since Ruff.

• Like (+1) 6

36 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I like listening to Granato talk about hockey, both the human side, and the Xs and Os side.

Me too.

If he succeeds with this roster next year, I will give him a ton of credit. If he fails, I will give him very little blame.

Adams is the one I’ll be be putting under the microscope.

• Like (+1) 5

12 hours ago, Norcal said:

Luke Richardson as associate HC?

Why would he leave Montreal to do that?  That seems like a lesser destination.  Unless he's feeling the chances of him taking the job are greater than 50%, which who knows with this team and our ownership group. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.