Dreger: Expects Sabres Head Coach will be hired next week

LGR4GM

21 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I know nothing about Tocchet, what's wrong with him?

I don't know specifics on him, but I can relay some information from a good friend of mine who is a huge Coyotes fan:

1.) the Roster wasn't the greatest, but the fanbase wanted to see more of an improvement from the team under him. From the middle point of his first year to the end on Arizona, they were consistently a few games above or below .500, no real improvement.

2.) The team seem to be guilty of 'sloppy' play under him. They would frequently make 'simple' mistakes and would not learn from them.

3.) He would roll his lines seemingly based on a schedule.  Even with down by a goal or 2 in the third, the 2nd and 3rd line would seemingly get almost as much ice-time as the first line.  His hottest/best players on the forward lines would not get 22-23 minute per game on a regular basis like on other teams. 

4.) They never really were good on special teams.  Through his entire time, they were average on the Penalty Kill, and had a below average PP. Worse, the PK and PP would seem to be at their worst when they needed it most (close games).

5.) They didn't control play well under him. I know at one point last year, my friend told me since Tocchet took over, the Coyotes were outshot by a larger margin than even the Sabres.

6.) A lack of development of their talent pool/draft picks under Tocchet.  Not many of their high draft picks turned into what fans expected.

I'm not how much of that is actually true, again this is what I heard from a friend who is a big Coyotes fan and watches their games as much as possible.  And of course, how much of that is on the coach/coaching staff vs the overall talent of the players?

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If I saw Dreger on the street engulfed in flames I would walk into a convenience store, buy a bottle of water and chug it.

Really? If Darren Dreger angers you that much you might want to examine some things.  The guy is a harmless talking head on the tv and radio.

18 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

His systems are underwhelming and he's an average at best NHL Head Coach.  I don't have any specific insights, but he coached Arizona to mediocre results.  He reminds me of Bylsma, all over again.  Pass, we've seen that show before.

Arizona also has a team with a mediocre talent level as well.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2021 at 11:26 AM, LGR4GM said:

He basically said he thought it might happen this week but thinks the process is basically done and an announcement will happen next week. Believes Granato is the hire but Tochett could be the dark horse. 

Says coach will be hired before Eichel trade in his belief. 

Godot will be here any minute now.,

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

He's been a recurring guest for about 2 years or more.

I just look at everything that Tocchet has done, and said, he underachieved in Tampa Bay, with a Steven Stamkos in his 20's, he did nothing that promising in Arizona, though his teams were at least on the bubble of the playoffs, and I don't want a retread coach.  He might be a very nice guy, he seems like it in his interviews.  But, meh.   I'd rather go with Richardson, give Granato the reigns full time, or if we have to go the retread coaching route, at least give it to someone who has had success in Boudreau. 

For the record, I just wanted to do a The Shinning (do you want us to get sued?) reference. I don't care for Tocchet, either. Arizona "surprised" and treaded water a few years there, but that shouldn't be sufficient to earn a job here. We're drowning and need to get out of the water entirely.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

If I saw Dreger on the street engulfed in flames I would walk into a convenience store, buy a bottle of water and chug it.

I would, that's a bit extreme!  Dreger, is more reliable than Eklund or Kypreos.  

7 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet, Just not Tocchet,

Feel like you missed an opportunity:

Please don’t Tocchet

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Not sure where to put this, and sure that it doesn't merit its own thread, so here:

Consider for a minute that there are infinite parallel universes.... (there are, actually).   

In at least one of those universes Botterill is still at the helm and Buffalo is advancing to their first Stanley Cup final in 20 years.  

We don't live in that universe.

15 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

there are, actually)

There MAY be.

In at least one of those universes Botterill is still at the helm and Buffalo is advancing to their first Stanley Cup final in 20 years.  

Possibly not.

We don't live in that universe.

Definitely so.

The attached link is a 9 min interview of Craig Button on by WKBW's Adam Unger. He was discussing some of the decisions that KA will have to make this offseason. Two of Button's main recommendations are to use the first pick on Power and hire Granato as the HC. The more commentary I hear about this draft the more convinced that I am that Power should be our first selection. And I continue to be convinced that Granato should be our coaching hire. 

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/tsns-craig-button-breaks-down-the-sabres-offseason-with-adam-unger

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, pi2000 said:

If there are infinite parallel universes (there are, actually), then every possible outcome is a reality. 

Oh, boy!  Geekdom!

14 hours ago, Eleven said:

There may or may not be, as acknowledged by your first word above.

Actually, the multiverse model of Max Tegmark and Brian Greene is that it is theoretically possible that every possible outcome leads to its own reality.

For those who are interested, the levels of multiverse are:

1. Our universe is extended to other copies with different Hubble Volumes.  A quick look-up says this comes from the assumption that the universe is uniform and isotropic in its properties.  In this case, imagine a large  volume with little bubble universes inside of it.

2. Other universes exist with different physical constants (speed of light, Maxwell-Boltzman constant, the universal gravitational constant, etc.).  So an alternate reality has light travelling faster and you weigh less with the same mass.

3. The many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.  This takes the idea of randomness at the quantum level and says that the different universes above arise from the different variations of what this randomness does.  So in all realities, No Goal happens, but in some, Jay McKee never gets the staph infection and the Sabres win the Cup in 2006.

4. What @pi2000 cited is called "the ultimate ensemble."  We then can go into the question of whether there are countably infinite or uncountably infinite universes.  (IMHO, if we have that every choice leads to a new reality, then the number has to be uncountably infinite by a Cantor diagonalisation argument.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.