Dreger: Expects Sabres Head Coach will be hired next week

LGR4GM

Just now, tom webster said:

Either you are Paul Hamilton or you have the same speech writer. For what it’s worth, I don’t believe this is the reason for the delay.

If it's not that, and it's not stealing thunder from other notable events in the NHL, I'm curious as to what you believe is the reason for the delay; it seems like you also believe Granto is a done deal.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Either you are Paul Hamilton or you have the same speech writer. For what it’s worth, I don’t believe this is the reason for the delay.

Leave Paulie alone. The view that he cited came from Bulldog on the Shoop and the Bulldog Show. Some of the criticism that Paul draws is merited; and much of the scathing criticism he receives is not merited. It's not a very positive experience to handle post game interviews for the press or the players. Covering this erratic organization for a long time when the storyline is the same has to be exasperating and exhausting.  

Just now, JohnC said:

Leave Paulie alone. The view that he cited came from Bulldog on the Shoop and the Bulldog Show. Some of the criticism that Paul draws is merited; and much of the scathing criticism he receives is not merited. It's not a very positive experience to handle post game interviews for the press or the players. Covering this erratic organization for a long time when the storyline is the same has to be exasperating and exhausting.  

I wasn’t dissing Paul at all, just commenting that your post were his words verbatim.

Just now, tom webster said:

I wasn’t dissing Paul at all, just commenting that your post were his words verbatim.

I was commenting on what he said on WGR. I should have been more explicit. But it wasn't his original thought because he credited to Bulldog.  

23 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

But Gallant has gotten it done. Vegas, despite their expansion draft trades etc. was still not supposed to be anything right away. remember all the consternation and complaints around here when Vegas had more points and was winning more than us early in the season? We were worse than an expansion team and it wasn't sitting well. Gallant seems to rub owners the wrong way, but he does get it done, and you watch, he will get it done in New York too. 

For Dudley, I was comparing him to the Lamorello part. A top dog of some kind. A big boss to shape the franchise in his image. he has Sabres history, which places him above other similar czar types for this franchise imo. 

The point is hire experienced hockey men rather then rookies learning on the job (and making mistakes in growing pains). 

Gerard Gallant has not lasted more than 3 seasons with any team.  With Columbus he never made the playoffs, with the Panthers he made it once, lost in the first round and was left looking for a cab the next season. Vegas was never as bad as people thought and that is evidenced by their continued success.  Despite his success in Vegas, the team declined in the second year, and he was fired in the third.  IN short, Gerard Gallant has a track history of not lasting more than 3 seasons and I would think that would be something Sabres fans would be concerned about given all the changeover that has occurred here.

I'm not worried about consternation on this board.  Vegas was a team that was riding a city high excitement wave, with no expectation of success, and was a better team than people realized. Gallant capitalized on that but let's not pretend he did anything special.  The team was close to being back in the Final this year.  They've been good this whole time.

Do you think the Rangers weren't poised to make a big jump next year already?  You can give Gallant credit, but that team is already set to make waves next season. Let's see how long he lasts..

As for Dudley I understand now that you were comparing him to Lamorello.  Dudley has proven success, but the Sabres didn't want him before.

I don't think anybody here would disagree that Trotz is one of the best coaches in the NHL, perhaps all time, and he makes teams over achieve regularly. The point would be we didn't try to hire him when Washington let him go, just like we never tried to hire Quenneville. We hire rookies and unknowns. It's just dumb. 

Washington didn't let him go.  He left Washington, after winning a Stanley Cup, to join the Islanders.  When the Sabres went for Krueger (over anyone else including Q) I think it was a strict "we want this guy" and we all know it was stupid.  Bylsma was not an unknown however.  Housley was a rookie.

Interestingly enough... Granato is here and he was an assistant under Q and now Granato is the coach.  How much of the Q mentality is here in the form of Granato?  And Granato is in a hockey family, through and through.  He's not completely from the outside.

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

Washington didn't let him go.  He left Washington, after winning a Stanley Cup, to join the Islanders.  When the Sabres went for Krueger (over anyone else including Q) I think it was a strict "we want this guy" and we all know it was stupid.  Bylsma was not an unknown however.  Housley was a rookie.

Kind of...Washington simply wouldn't pay him. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Kind of...Washington simply wouldn't pay him. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/barry-trotz-resigns-as-washington-capitals-coach/c-299101550

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/things-fell-apart-barry-trotz-capitals/

There was more to it than just the pay.  Yes, one might argue the Caps chose to act this way to encourage him to leave.

Edited by LTS

1 minute ago, LTS said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/barry-trotz-resigns-as-washington-capitals-coach/c-299101550

There was more to it than just the pay.  Yes, one might argue the Caps chose to act this way to encourage him to leave.

His clause was if they won the Cup, he got a two year extension and a raise. When it came down to it he wanted a 5 year extension and the Capitals said no. So it was money/term.

35 minutes ago, LTS said:

As for Dudley I understand now that you were comparing him to Lamorello.  Dudley has proven success, but the Sabres didn't want him before.

First on Bylsma remember he was only hired because Babcock played us for the Toronto gig. Babcock was Murray's guy. The vision of Murray's team in his mind was Babcock coaching McDavid with Kane as his power goal scoring winger, ROR as his second line shut down center and Lehner as an allstar goalie backstopping everything. In theory not that ridiculous a plan. Anyway, point is HIS plan was an experienced NHL coach on a long term plan. Since then we have gone the opposite way. 

Yes, they didn't want Dudley, and that is why I say they are stupid and in last place every year. 

As for Trotz, they didn't offer him a big new deal in Washington. That's why he left. So that's the same as letting him go. Everyone knew at the time Trotz was likely going to be let go if he failed in the playoffs. The (unfair) knock for some time had been great at getting to the playoffs but couldn't win it all in the playoffs. Washington wanted a cup no less. After they got it, they no longer cared and didn't want to pay him. 

On 6/28/2021 at 1:20 PM, mjd1001 said:

I want Granato to be named coach.

With that said, a lot of his 'success' at the end of the year....is it really success?

-He got better results than Krueger, that is for sure, and he did it with a depleted and young roster.

-But Reinhart was on a streak where he got something like 13 goals in 13 games at one point. Had he NOT been that hot, just how good would this team have looked?

-Also, its not like they had a winning record with him.  Not even after the winless streak was over till the end of the year did they have a winning record.

Again, I want Granato to be named head coach.  But I also know that if he is....this team is likely to still struggle for wins under him (as they would under anyone) for at least the first quarter or third of next season. Without Reinhart or a healthy Jack, that is for sure in my mind.

I felt the same way.  However there's a few things that are important to note

I think they used what, 4 different goalies across that time period?

They did this after moving - Hall, Staal, Montour, Lazar. 

This was with Eichel on the shelf.  McCabe was gone.  Okposo played pretty well under DG and got hurt.

Sam was playing great under him, so I wonder if he considers sticking around for a bit.  

That was a really injured, inexperienced, bad team playing mostly competitive hockey.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

First on Bylsma remember he was only hired because Babcock played us for the Toronto gig. Babcock was Murray's guy. The vision of Murray's team in his mind was Babcock coaching McDavid with Kane as his power goal scoring winger, ROR as his second line shut down center and Lehner as an allstar goalie backstopping everything. In theory not that ridiculous a plan. Anyway, point is HIS plan was an experienced NHL coach on a long term plan. Since then we have gone the opposite way. 

Yes, they didn't want Dudley, and that is why I say they are stupid and in last place every year. 

As for Trotz, they didn't offer him a big new deal in Washington. That's why he left. So that's the same as letting him go. Everyone knew at the time Trotz was likely going to be let go if he failed in the playoffs. The (unfair) knock for some time had been great at getting to the playoffs but couldn't win it all in the playoffs. Washington wanted a cup no less. After they got it, they no longer cared and didn't want to pay him. 

Sure Babcock was the guy he wanted, but Babcock also failed in Toronto, with more talent.  Murray also didn't do Lehner any favors once he got him and ultimately the Sabres didn't help Lehner with the mental health issues he had.  All on Buffalo for failing that.

When Trotz signed coaching contracts were generally for lower amounts.  Babcock, Bylsma, etc. raised the bar.  Trotz was right to want more and he got more. Meanwhile Washington might have been happy with one cup but this past season they made an absolutely terrible trade for Mantha in a desperate grab to get back to the Cup Final.  I think they care.

Either way, debating Trotz is fine, but he's the only coach who really has had a profound impact on a team when he joined and continues to have that. He may also not win it all on Long Island.

For me proven coaches are a concept.  The only thing most coaches have proven is that they are good at providing a small boost and not destroying a team. Very few are perennial winners, at least in the NHL.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

they made an absolutely terrible trade for Mantha in a desperate grab to get back to the Cup Final. 

Just curious, why do you think that was an absolutely terrible trade? I think it was kind of equal. Different type of player and Mantha fit their style better. I think they felt they needed to add a power forward with the Isles adding Palmeri and Bruins getting Hall of course. It was a tough physical division at the top. 

2 hours ago, LTS said:

For me proven coaches are a concept.  The only thing most coaches have proven is that they are good at providing a small boost and not destroying a team. Very few are perennial winners, at least in the NHL.

Scotty Bowman is giving you side eye right now. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just curious, why do you think that was an absolutely terrible trade? I think it was kind of equal. Different type of player and Mantha fit their style better. I think they felt they needed to add a power forward with the Isles adding Palmeri and Bruins getting Hall of course. It was a tough physical division at the top. 

Scotty Bowman is giving you side eye right now. 

They put their hopes in one player over the two threats they had. It might be a better long term move for them but long term moves in Washington come with the added meaning that you are looking at post-Ovechkin time (if the guy slows down). I think Detroit makes out far better on this deal. I didn't pay a ton of attention but I did not see Mantha making that big of a splash in Washington this season.

Bowman is from a bygone era.  I think there were quite a few exceptional coaches then. He certainly fits the bill. I was thinking more along the NHL in the past 20 years.

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

They put their hopes in one player over the two threats they had. It might be a better long term move for them but long term moves in Washington come with the added meaning that you are looking at post-Ovechkin time (if the guy slows down). I think Detroit makes out far better on this deal. I didn't pay a ton of attention but I did not see Mantha making that big of a splash in Washington this season.

Bowman is from a bygone era.  I think there were quite a few exceptional coaches then. He certainly fits the bill. I was thinking more along the NHL in the past 20 years.

It's hard to evaluate the Mantha trade imo. Very different types of players. Washinton likes size and strength so he might be a better fit there. His work ethic has been questioned but if he could flourish there. At the moment I think both teams got what they wanted. Time will tell. 

You're not wrong about the bygone era. There was stability and continuity all over in those days. As an old hockey fan I  kind of miss that. So much free agency and movement these days you don't develop the same levels of hate and rivalry usually. Only for guys who stay on their teams long term like a Marchand. The players all become "friends" too. Short attention spans for owners and GMs (and fans) so coaches turned over quicker too. 

What I want for this team more than anything (regardless of the coach) is an actual team identity that isn't just as losers or the word Buffalo just gets s shrug and eye roll (or even laugh) from outside announcers and analysts. Make us into something, stick with it, and build on it. At this point idk what we are any more. Nothing really. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.