2021 NHL Playoff Semi Finals

Norcal

34 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

their were some who suggested  Perry may have embellished the high stick...think again...

202662405_10225684195955363_5424820005584326300_n.jpg

I don't think one person on earth ever suggested that. Everyone saw him dripping blood immediately. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

The narrative that Vegas had everything handed to them is letting the league off the hook when we should not. They worked over teams and made great deals. Then they made continuous moves to build what is now not just a ragtag group of players but a very talented group. Nobody handed them Mark Stone.

Seattle gets the same expansion rules. We’ll see if anyone learned their lesson.

Agree - Vegas did Seattle no favors, either. The league did by giving them the same expansion rules, but Vegas certainly set the expectations much higher than they normally are for an expansion team. 

Vegas’ centre spine should not scare anyone. That does not look like a Stanley Cup contending group.

William Karlsson, Chandler Stephenson, Nic Roy, Keegan Kolesar and Tomas Nosek. The rest of their lineup is good and they play hard and with pace. Two solid goalies as a last line of defence is huge.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Vegas’ centre spine should not scare anyone. That does not look like a Stanley Cup contending group.

William Karlsson, Chandler Stephenson, Nic Roy, Keegan Kolesar and Tomas Nosek. The rest of their lineup is good and they play hard and with pace. Two solid goalies as a last line of defence is huge.

You are right. It shouldn’t scare anyone. And yet, here they are in the final four, again…

and it’s not just because MAF is playing well.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I told yous before and I tell yous again ... this seems to be Montreal's year.

GO HABS!!

It could be! I hate Staal, but I would overlook his punchable face and be ok with MTL winning the cup. Gulp …

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

A top notch atmosphere. Imagine if this was Buffalo in the playoffs. 

It’s been so long that I’ve lost that ability. I have trouble even imagining a Sabres team that can score more than two goals in a game.

2 hours ago, carpandean said:

Would have been a goal-of-the-year candidate by McDonagh, if Pulock hadn't gotten there.

It was the best of hockey and just a continuous one-upping of great efforts. Killorn pinches the puck and gets it to Kucherov. Kucherov with a beautiful chip to get that puck in front to the wide-open McDonagh. Varlamov knows there's time for one shot and charges out -- there's nothing to shoot at on the forehand, especially with a great dive by Nelson. Aha! But McDonagh out-greats them and tries spinning (I have it on good authority that that's a good trick) to the backhand for that one shot. It's away! Negative. It didn't go in. Just impacted on the Pulock. The greatest effort of them all... Pulock sees McDonagh go to the spin and crashes to the ice to take away the goal. I love hockey.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

It was the best of hockey and just a continuous one-upping of great efforts. Killorn pinches the puck and gets it to Kucherov. Kucherov with a beautiful chip to get that puck in front to the wide-open McDonagh. Varlamov knows there's time for one shot and charges out -- there's nothing to shoot at on the forehand, especially with a great dive by Nelson. Aha! But McDonagh out-greats them and tries spinning (I have it on good authority that that's a good trick) to the backhand for that one shot. It's away! Negative. It didn't go in. Just impacted on the Pulock. The greatest effort of them all... Pulock sees McDonagh go to the spin and crashes to the ice to take away the goal. I love hockey.

What goes into the spreadsheet though? If it can't be quantified, it didn't happen.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What goes into the spreadsheet though? If it can't be quantified, it didn't happen.

Individual events matter little in analytics.  A forward who has the skill and drive to do what McDonagh did will tend to cause his team to score (and, thus, win) more.  Likewise, a defenseman who puts in the effort and sacrifice that Pulock did will tend to cause his team to be scored on less.  That's what the data will reveal over time.  It doesn't care about the small details of the play that we admire.

An oversimplification, but you get what I'm saying.  The beautiful things that we all admire and think lead to winning more may or may not actually prove to do so in aggregate when the data is crunched.  We find that unsatisfying, even it's true.  That's why things like deep neural networks with thousands of hidden layers that find and learn from patterns that often couldn't be effectively explained to humans, even if they were revealed, are both effective and frustrating.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.