NHL Rumors and Trade Speculation 2021-22 Season

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

This is stupid unless they are overcompensated for doing so.

If no one wants him for a reasonable price before the expansion draft, for the exact same reason we could say it’s stupid to trade him right after, then there is only so much you can do.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think there should be any big surprise that Risto is more valuable after the trade freeze.

I also think that Will Borgen is nowhere near the top of the list of the best players who will be available in the draft.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t think there should be any big surprise that Risto is more valuable after the trade freeze.

I also think that Will Borgen is nowhere near the top of the list of the best players who will be available in the draft.

But is Will Borgen among the top players the Sabres will have exposed?

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We are forgetting that Colin Miller has better metrics and playoff experience, is over a million dollars cheaper than Risto and could be flipped by Seattle at the trade deadline. 

Depending on what the return is for Risto it might be worthwhile to offer Montreal’s 3rd to take Miller 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

But is Will Borgen among the top players the Sabres will have exposed?

Yes. Probably the guy I’d take if I was them, although as Brawndo says, a very good case could be made for Miller, or even Girgensons.

The expansion draft is designed to rob each team of its 11th-best player. I like Borgen, hope he stays. But he’s a replaceable part. I’m not too upset about us giving up a player who will likely never be among any team’s top 10 ever.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, LGR4GM said:

That is who I want. 

Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander get all of the accolades but that guy is the heart and soul of their team.  Always engaged and has some underrated skill.

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

That is who I want. 

Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander get all of the accolades but that guy is the heart and soul of their team.  Always engaged and has some underrated skill.

Yes -- I hope the Sabres pursue him.  He's a good player and he's tough and fast.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Still have a bit of time before the roster freeze sets in.  But GMs understanding the process better probably is dampening some of the trade enthusiasm relative to prior to Vegas.  Unless a team gets close to full value for their 8th F, 4th D, or 2nd G; sending them out essentially loses the team 2 players rather than just 1.

Nobody wants to be Florida's nor Minny's GM.

Trades with Seattle can also happen after the roster freeze

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Isn't it weird how few expansion draft trades there have been?  It seems prior to the Vagas draft that trades were fast and furious.

There are likely trades we don’t know about. A few teams made deals with Vegas at the trade deadline before their expansion offseason and nobody knew. But also: teams learned from the massive Vegas mistakes, it appears.

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If Philly offered Nolan Patrick + a 2nd/3rd for Risto would you take it?

I would imagine most would say yes because they want Risto gone but how would you judge the trade?

I would judge it as getting a former 2nd overall pick, whose career has been hampered by migraine issues which can hopefully get sorted out, for one season of Risto.

20 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I would imagine most would say yes because they want Risto gone but how would you judge the trade?

High skill and high ceiling but too many ifs. Would rather have a more reliable piece coming back. That trade could be brilliant of course but really no way to know how it would pan out. Way too many medical issues.

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Yes I would take that trade (2nd and Nolan Patrick for Risto). 

But I think Philly still wants to try and get another young player in return for Patrick in return similar to what we did with Alex Nylander. 

Patrick would be an interesting player to see if Granato could have some success with him and get him back on track. 

22 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Isn't it weird how few expansion draft trades there have been?  It seems prior to the Vagas draft that trades were fast and furious.

Teams don't want to get bent over a barrel again like last time

22 hours ago, Curt said:

Gotta make sure you take a Rasmus with the draft pick too, we have quotas to keep up after all.

We'd actually net gain in that scenario 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.