NHL Rumors and Trade Speculation 2021-22 Season

Brawndo

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Fantastic for the Sabres, but I think the comments say it all.

I’ve learned not to really pay much attention to the usual comments. 

To sum them up

All top prospects aren’t for sale.

Eichel will be traded for peanuts so just deal with it.

Ristolainen is worthless 

Reinhart isn’t even worth 9th OA

The Sabres should just take our cap dump because .....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Columbus could still be a good trade partner for Eichel. They have 3 first rounders (possibly 4 after Seth Jones trade). I'm not sure what the exact haul would be, but 5th overall has to be part of it. And I don't think it is too unrealistic that the draft could fall  1. Eklund  2. Power  3.Guenther/Edvinsson/???  4. Hughes  5. Beniers.    Anaheim is the only real question mark as Power is probably bpa on Seattle's board, and Hughes is basically a lock to New Jersey if he is there. I guess the real question is whether or not Anaheim would pass on Beniers/Hughes for Guenther, Edvinsson, Clarke, Johnson, or McTavish.

13 minutes ago, 7Fun6 said:

Columbus could still be a good trade partner for Eichel. They have 3 first rounders (possibly 4 after Seth Jones trade). I'm not sure what the exact haul would be, but 5th overall has to be part of it. And I don't think it is too unrealistic that the draft could fall  1. Eklund  2. Power  3.Guenther/Edvinsson/???  4. Hughes  5. Beniers.    Anaheim is the only real question mark as Power is probably bpa on Seattle's board, and Hughes is basically a lock to New Jersey if he is there. I guess the real question is whether or not Anaheim would pass on Beniers/Hughes for Guenther, Edvinsson, Clarke, Johnson, or McTavish.

Nah.  They're the worst suggested trade partner. 

7 minutes ago, 7Fun6 said:

Their prospect pool sucks compared to LA and Anaheim's, but depending on the Seth Jones trade they might have some actual pieces to offer. I wouldn't rule them out.

Being in conference, much like Boston, or the Rags, they will have to pay a higher premium.  Trading him to Minnesota, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Las Vegas, Calgary, makes so much more sense.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Being in conference, much like Boston, or the Rags, they will have to pay a higher premium.  Trading him to Minnesota, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Las Vegas, Calgary, makes so much more sense.

I’m less than concerned about Columbus. If I’m going to trade in the Eastern Conference, it’ll be to the CBJ. I agree, let’s see what they can get for Jones that they would be willing to flip to us. Would be nice to have 3 possible top 10 picks. 

26 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’m less than concerned about Columbus. If I’m going to trade in the Eastern Conference, it’ll be to the CBJ. I agree, let’s see what they can get for Jones that they would be willing to flip to us. Would be nice to have 3 possible top 10 picks. 

Reinhart for Jones straight up.

I, for one, like Jones game.  He eats minutes and is capable offensively.   He had a down year, buy low.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Reinhart for Jones straight up.

I, for one, like Jones game.  He eats minutes and is capable offensively.   He had a down year, buy low.

If giving up Reinhart for a guy with one year left on his deal who has already told better teams he won’t sign an extension is buying low then I don’t want it.

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Without judging this specific trade, Reinhart is essentially a one and done player also.

If Sabres were a contender with lots of forwards and not enough D, who wanted to swing the trade to go for it, then  figure out the contract stuff later, then fine, but shouldn’t the Sabres be looking for assets that they control for more than one season?

Isn’t that the point of trading Reinhart in the first place?

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Without judging this specific trade, Reinhart is essentially a one and done player also.

Because he has RFA status and a contract that must be negotiated there’s definitely more control there

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Because he has RFA status and a contract that must be negotiated there’s definitely more control there

? Actually there is less control. Jones has a a contract for one more year. You still have to negotiate with Sam for this year or get him to sign his qualifying offer. They are both free to walk after this year. Which one is worth more at the deadline? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I agree with you that because of Reinhart's contract status a trade of him won't get back as much as many people believe. However, if you can get a young player in return who can be a building block piece to this roster that would be better than exchanging Samson for a player who doesn't want to be here.  And Jones's attitude certainly doesn't fit in with the GM's mantra of wanting players who want to be here. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that because of Reinhart's contract status a trade of him won't get back as much as many people believe. However, if you can get a young player in return who can be a building block piece to this roster that would be better than exchanging Samson for a player who doesn't want to be here.  And Jones's attitude certainly doesn't fit in with the GM's mantra of wanting players who want to be here. 

I disagree with you about what the return for Reinhart will be because i think whoever trades for him will already have an extension worked out. 

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As I initially said, I wasn’t commenting on that specific trade, just that they were essentially the same contract status. Personally, I don’t think either team makes that deal.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Hank said:

I disagree with you about what the return for Reinhart will be because i think whoever trades for him will already have an extension worked out. 

I agree with you that if there is a tacit agreement to sign an extension the return will be higher. However, there is an assumption that where Samson is dealt to is a place he wants to go to. That in itself limits the market and also the potential for a return. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, tom webster said:

? Actually there is less control. Jones has a a contract for one more year. You still have to negotiate with Sam for this year or get him to sign his qualifying offer. They are both free to walk after this year. Which one is worth more at the deadline? 

At the deadline is a different story and a good debate.

So far we haven’t heard Samson is ruling out signing long-term deals. We’ve already heard Jones is doing exactly that except for a few teams.

Edited by Hoss

8 hours ago, tom webster said:

As I initially said, I wasn’t commenting on that specific trade, just that they were essentially the same contract status. Personally, I don’t think either team makes that deal.

The reason I look at a player in Samson’s situation having more control than a player in Seth Jones’ situation has to do with age, essentially. You’re more likely to get Samson to commit to a long-term deal because he hasn’t made the money on a big contract yet and isn’t coming in on the end of his prime so he likely isn’t looking at this as a situation where he must contend immediately. Seth Jones is looking for that. You’ve got more control with Samson, I believe.

25 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The reason I look at a player in Samson’s situation having more control than a player in Seth Jones’ situation has to do with age, essentially. You’re more likely to get Samson to commit to a long-term deal because he hasn’t made the money on a big contract yet and isn’t coming in on the end of his prime so he likely isn’t looking at this as a situation where he must contend immediately. Seth Jones is looking for that. You’ve got more control with Samson, I believe.

You implied in another thread that older fans look at certain things in the same way do let me fo likewise with fans if your age. You tend to think you know what motivates everyone using your own wishes and desires. As you get older you realize that everyone has their own wishes and desires. Ironically, in this case both Jones and Sam seem to want the same thing, to return to their hometown or at least a place they are familiar with. For Jones, that’s Colorado. For Sam it’s Northern Canada.

Another thing, Jones is only thirteen months older than Sam.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

You implied in another thread that older fans look at certain things in the same way do let me fo likewise with fans if your age. You tend to think you know what motivates everyone using your own wishes and desires. As you get older you realize that everyone has their own wishes and desires. Ironically, in this case both Jones and Sam seem to want the same thing, to return to their hometown or at least a place they are familiar with. For Jones, that’s Colorado. For Sam it’s Northern Canada.

Another thing, Jones is only thirteen months older than Sam.

I wrote that knowing he wasn’t much older but didn’t bother to google the age difference. I thought it was a little wider than that but I stand corrected. But the contract portion doesn’t change and is the more important part of it. Jones has had the big contract. Samson has not. I stand by the point that you’ve got more control acquiring an RFA who you have to negotiate with anyways vs a player with one year left before UFA who has no reason to negotiate anything.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.