NHL Rumors and Trade Speculation 2021-22 Season

Brawndo

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2021/09/nhl-rumor-mill-september-16-2021/

Jeremy Rutherford reports the contract standoff continues between the Blues and restricted free agent Robert Thomas. The 22-year-old forward is coming off his entry-level deal with little leverage except if he signs an offer sheet with a rival club.

The Blues have almost no cap space left for the coming season. If a team signed Thomas for between $2.055 million and $4.11 million and the Blues declined to match, they’d receive a second-round pick as compensation.

This, this is the kinda move that would earn Adams mad respect in my book.

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2021/09/nhl-rumor-mill-september-16-2021/

Jeremy Rutherford reports the contract standoff continues between the Blues and restricted free agent Robert Thomas. The 22-year-old forward is coming off his entry-level deal with little leverage except if he signs an offer sheet with a rival club.

The Blues have almost no cap space left for the coming season. If a team signed Thomas for between $2.055 million and $4.11 million and the Blues declined to match, they’d receive a second-round pick as compensation.

This, this is the kinda move that would earn Adams mad respect in my book.

He should do it. Get the prospect they should have gotten the first time 

• Like (+1) 3

The Blues would match anything in that range and we can’t afford to go above it (because we’re not giving a first for Thomas). The “Team X has no cap space” is such a tired reporting trope to generate attention and clicks. Teams make the money work for important players.

41 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The Blues would match anything in that range and we can’t afford to go above it (because we’re not giving a first for Thomas). The “Team X has no cap space” is such a tired reporting trope to generate attention and clicks. Teams make the money work for important players.

How would you free up $3.9 million to match if you were the Blues?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blues

Would your team be better off?

And how would the Sabres be hurt if they did match?

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

How would you free up $3.9 million to match if you were the Blues?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blues

Would your team be better off?

And how would the Sabres be hurt if they did match?

Pick a card, any card. Just dump Bortuzzo, Sanford and Clifford for whatever pieces you can get or attach a late round pick if you have to. Maybe finally pull the trigger on a Tarasenko deal. It’d be a breeze.

The only risk for the Sabres is getting shunned by the stupid old boys club who are afraid of offer sheets.

I’m not saying there’s no reason to do it but it gets matched and wastes everyone’s time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Pick a card, any card. Just dump Bortuzzo, Sanford and Clifford for whatever pieces you can get or attach a late round pick if you have to. Maybe finally pull the trigger on a Tarasenko deal. It’d be a breeze.

The only risk for the Sabres is getting shunned by the stupid old boys club who are afraid of offer sheets.

I’m not saying there’s no reason to do it but it gets matched and wastes everyone’s time.

I think you are probably right about the cap functionally not even being real for the good teams, in a sense, they can always make it work for the players they really do truly want to keep. But with how bad the Sabres rep is I totally agree with @dudacekthat Adams should make the offer. On the off chance it works out. I highly doubt KA would be interested in something like that, though. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If anybody wants to give up a 5th, ship Eakin out on the next Uber.

Hagg & Miller both could bring back reasonable returns.  Definitely a 4th each, maybe as high as a 2nd each if Adams brings his A salesmanship game.

I'd dump Eakin for a box of HoHo's and crisp high five. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd dump Eakin for a box of HoHo's and crisp high five. 

And come the deadline, maybe that's the best Adams can get for him.  But right now w/ about a month to go, no point to giving him away because some GM might get dumb.

(If they wait for a legit offer that is.)

What about Craig Anderson?  I know that we've been critical of Adams for choosing him as our #1 this season but he has played really well when healthy.  It would seem to me that he will be a cheap pickup for a cup contending team that needs extra goaltending support (Colorado, Toronto, Carolina, ++).  Can we get a 2nd for Anderson at the deadline?

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

If anybody wants to give up a 5th, ship Eakin out on the next Uber.

Hagg & Miller both could bring back reasonable returns.  Definitely a 4th each, maybe as high as a 2nd each if Adams brings his A salesmanship game.

There’s only so much shine you can put on a turd, though. 

6 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I have a speculative post. 

Jack Eichel returns and plays well at times but the Golden Knights fail to win the cup and decide Eichel isn't the right fit, trading him to an Eastern Conference team and recouping some assets. 

No, because then he'll end up in Boston; don't even try to make that happen.

7 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I have a speculative post. 

Jack Eichel returns and plays well at times but the Golden Knights fail to win the cup and decide Eichel isn't the right fit, trading him to an Eastern Conference team and recouping some assets. 

Now that’s a hot take!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.