2021 NHL Playoffs 1st Round

Norcal

3 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Everything about those teams in that division was a mirage.

Nice racket tho the league set up guaranteeing at least one Canadian team in the final 4.  

Everything better be back to normal next season re the divisions because this is a joke.  

I mean ... they didn't really have any other option here. The teams couldn't leave Canada to play a regular schedule of games against American teams.

I still think Sabres fans relishing anything Leafs is a weird flex.  Our team has been a disaster for a decade.  At least the Leafs have actual good players who pretend to want to be there.  Players can’t get off the Sabres fast enough at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

I still think Sabres fans relishing anything Leafs is a weird flex.  Our team has been a disaster for a decade.  At least the Leafs have actual good players who pretend to want to be there.  Players can’t get off the Sabres fast enough at this point.  

I don’t. Toronto fans come down to Buffalo and are loud, obnoxious, the most intoxicated, rude, and constantly litter. It wouldn’t surprise me if half the people who dislike Toronto dislike them solely because of arena interactions and sports media. Toronto, historically, has never been anything more than a punching bag for Buffalo. Many in Buffalo just want to treat there fans as such as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

This Leafs hate goes back to 1970 and it’s been passed down.  Did you ever talk to a Leaf fan when they are on trip to Buffalo?   Usually it’s not pleasant unless you like being insulted about your home town.  

The last ten years aside we have consistently kicked their *****.  The Leafs actually left our division in hopes of an easier ride in the then named Norris Division.  I welcome their misery within the limits of good behavior.  It is ok to do so, it’s only sports.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

Also posted by someone on Twitter.. 17 of the top 18 highest paid players in the league are out of the playoffs.  I think things will change, the dominance had been from teams with older stars who had signed below the $10M AAV.  Still, there's something to be said for doling out all that money into a few players, especially the way the Leafs have done it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Wasn't there talk at the start of the year about how tough and amazing that division was going to be? And it looked like it only because they got to beat up on each other all year.

I just remember a lot of talk about how it was the Clown division - that's going to bear itself out when whoever wins this excuse for a second round matchup plays their next opponent that's a part of the actual NHL

45 minutes ago, inkman said:

I still think Sabres fans relishing anything Leafs is a weird flex.  

This conversation arises here from time to time. Born when I was, raised where I was, I always had a passing fondness for the Leafs -- the Sabres were my team, but the Leafs were reliably on HNIC.

On the other hand:

41 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I don’t. Toronto fans come down to Buffalo and are loud, obnoxious, the most intoxicated, rude, and constantly litter. It wouldn’t surprise me if half the people who dislike Toronto dislike them solely because of arena interactions

There is something to this.

And there's irony in that. My experience with going to games/concerts at the Scotiabank Arena (formerly the ACC) is that the crowd there can be quite corporate and largely dull -- this is especially true for concerts. The folks who can't/won't get into that arena seem to pour over the border and into Buffalo -- and, as a group, they are neither corporate nor dull. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

This Leafs hate goes back to 1970 and it’s been passed down.  Did you ever talk to a Leaf fan when they are on trip to Buffalo?   Usually it’s not pleasant unless you like being insulted about your home town.  

The last ten years aside we have consistently kicked their *****.  The Leafs actually left our division in hopes of an easier ride in the then named Norris Division.  I welcome their misery within the limits of good behavior.  It is ok to do so, it’s only sports.  

ABSOLUTLEY!...Couldn't agree more. Toronto fans are the worst kind of "know it all".  Toronto people in general are the most arrogant people I've met, by comparison they make Pittsburgh fan seem like one of your best drinking buddies.

I haven't been happier in weeks!! I have a special kind of hate for Toronto, and yes they have been the Sabres B**ch for the better part of 50+ years and when we right the ship, we'll continue the tradition.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

The Leaves have been irrelevant for far longer than the Sabres have.  The last time they made a run, the Sabres took them out in 5.  They just get a lot of attention, is all.  I don't really hate them in the way that I hate the Flyers or Bruins, or even Senators.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

It's not so much my dislike of the hockey team based in The Great Satan, being The Great Satan is terrible in it's own right, but I am a fan of the hockey team from Montreal.  They have been my #2 my whole life.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
added a few words to make it sound more goodly ...
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

The Leaves have been irrelevant for far longer than the Sabres have.  The last time they made a run, the Sabres took them out in 5.  They just get a lot of attention, is all.  I don't really hate them in the way that I hate the Flyers or Bruins, or even Senators.

Thank God someone mentioned the Senators. It must have started with Yashin but I can’t think of a team I’ve ever disliked as much as Ottawa. Maybe the Islanders but that’s it. 

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The Islanders and Bruins are playing 70’s style hockey and it’s a great series to watch.  Skill, speed, goaltending, and relentless body checks.  

And a ***** ton of uncalled interference

This is a great putdown-y description of Toronto by Adam Gopnik, who writes for the New Yorker and is from Montreal:

The city was built in the nineteenth century by English and Scottish immigrants—specifically, it is rumored, by Scots who had left Scotland because they found the Scots back home insufficiently dour and tightfisted—and they built a place of gray stone fortresses, Sunday shop closings, and hard, sad Britannic edges.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

Bruins

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

Everybody else

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.