The Official Samuelsson Needs More Love as a Prospect Thread

Weave

I don't get excited over prospects anymore.  I just don't.  But watching Ulffie's nephew over the last few games is bringing out something in me that I haven't had in a long time, excitement for a prospect.  This kid has poise beyond his years, man strength, and the will to use those attributes to gain advantage in the zone.  He plays like a man among men already.  The Buffalo Sabres have lacked a dominant stay at home defender since Mike Ramsey's heyday.  This kid is looking to me like the lockdown top pair guy that makes good teams hard to play against.  If this team ever shores the rest of this ***** up, Samuelsson will be a difference maker.

He won't have the flash Dahlin has, but he'll be talked about with reverence among the Sabres loyal when his career ends.

Fight me.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m not sold on him being more than a 4-5 stay at home guy. He may fill that role very capably. He plays a simple game and needs to make better and quicker decisions with the puck. That will come with experience. He is the one that keeps Irwin in the press box so I am happy with that.

He is young and developing, he may become a Mike Ramsey. I would take Kjell with some Ulf sprinkled in.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I’m not sold on him being more than a 4-5 stay at home guy. He may fill that role very capably. He plays a simple game and needs to make better and quicker decisions with the puck. That will come with experience. He is the one that keeps Irwin in the press box so I am happy with that.

He is young and developing, he may become a Mike Ramsey. I would take Kjell with some Ulf sprinkled in.

If he becomes an 'average-to-good' stay at home guy, then I'd be elated with that. But he actually has to become that, not just be someone who we slot into that role.  Pair him with your 2nd best puck moving D-man on a 3-4 pairing and I'm happy.

I think he can become a solid NHL defenseman.  He will add much needed size and strength.  What pairing he is in also depends on who else is on the team.  

left - Dahlin, Bryson/ McCabe (Injured), Samuelson/Irwin 

right - Joker, Risto, Miller/Borgen,

Develop - Davidson, Fitzgerald, 

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The new Jay McKee 

The thing I notice most about Samuelsson (he needs a nickname so I do think need so many letters) is stylistically he is similar to McKee, Krupp, Ramsey,  his size and strength already allows him to be “heavier” than they were.  He really gets guys off the puck with seeming ease.

• Like (+1) 2

He's not a banger type of player like Risto who grabs your attention with hits. He's a defenseman whose game is predicated on positioning and intelligence. In his short stint he already has shown that he is one of the most efficient players on the unit. The unit is now comprised of players who have different complementary styles that this staff should be able to knit together and form a well rounded unit. I like him a lot as a player. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 4

I’m optimistic.

He has been a little up and down these first few games, but he is a very young D, just turned 21 last month, so no surprise there.

I know that he has the reputation of big stay at home D, but he has actually produced decent offensive numbers at lower levels, something Borgen has never had for comparison.  I’m curious to see if some of that translates.

When he was drafted, I was concerned about his skating, but it seems like it’s going to be good enough for him.  Hopefully he can be good enough in transition, great in front of the net and corners, pushing guys around and winning pucks, but then also making high quality breakout passes.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Samuelsson was ranked 31st on my list that year and was taken 31st. I don't really have any issues with the pick. 

He was taken 32d so you are way off as usual.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5

I’ve been lobbying for this kid since he was drafted. People hear big and they default to Mike Wilson or Justin Falk but he has never been just “big”. He has always been a leader, a rock, and a defensive presence, sucking up big minutes against the best players on every team he’s ever played on.

He is a Clydesdale and is going to play in this league for a long, long time.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

• nfreeman changed the title to The Official Samuelsson Needs More Love as a Prospect Thread

The league went through a stretch where every dman drafted was a “puck moving defencemen”.  Being a defensive defenceman equaled not being a good defenceman.  But the more things change the more they stay the same in hockey.  You will always need players who are solid in their own end, can pin players along the board, use their size and reach to break up plays.

Mattias will play a long time and fill a big defensive/leadership role.  His offensive totals will surprise too. He won’t impress with open ice hits but he will clear guys in front of the net and pin them in the corners.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.