The Official Samuelsson Needs More Love as a Prospect Thread

Weave

49 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Reinhart wore a lot of letters, too, and no one is calling him a Leader right now. Well, almost no one. 

You don’t think his excellent play recently despite the season essentially being over is real leadership? Maybe not vocal leadership but certainly on ice effort leadership.

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You don’t think his excellent play recently despite the season essentially being over is real leadership? Maybe not vocal leadership but certainly on ice effort leadership.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Reinhart wore a lot of letters, too, and no one is calling him a Leader right now. Well, almost no one. 

- - - 

Guys are "leaders" until their team doesn't win. Then they are "can't winners" in the eyes of the public. Take Reinhart - plenty of leadership pedigree at the levels Samuelsson achieved it, and plenty a person internet-wide, up until recently, maybe, has been advocating for Reinhart needing to be dealt to shake up the downtrodden core, a player seen as part of the issue, even mentally, rather than the solution. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

- - - 

Guys are "leaders" until their team doesn't win. Then they are "can't winners" in the eyes of the public. Take Reinhart - plenty of leadership pedigree at the levels Samuelsson achieved it, and plenty a person internet-wide, up until recently, maybe, has been advocating for Reinhart needing to be dealt to shake up the downtrodden core, a player seen as part of the issue, even mentally, rather than the solution. 

Who cares what the internet thinks.  His actions on the ice says leader.  What his coaching staff and fellow players think is what matters. Many of these same internet voices and commentators said Mitts was a bust,  Dahlin was heading that way and the Sabres had zero talent.  The truth is obviously very different.

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Stylistically that may be true. Krupp is perhaps the best comparison. I will have to see more before I equate him with McKee's toughness. 

I thought your comparison to Bill Hajt was pretty good in terms of Mule's posture and the type of physical game he plays in the D zone -- more wrestling, positioning and shoving than big bodychecks like Risto.  I think he skates differently from Hajt (although Hajt was a pretty decent skater for a defenseman in his era) and has better puck skills and offensive instincts than Hajt's were, which were pretty low.

Totally agree that he hasn't earned credit yet for toughness at McKee's level (one of my all-time favorite Sabres, btw).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who cares what the internet thinks.  His actions on the ice says leader.  What his coaching staff and fellow players think is what matters. Many of these same internet voices and commentators said Mitts was a bust,  Dahlin was heading that way and the Sabres had zero talent.  The truth is obviously very different.

You are missing my point. WE are the internet 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure he'll be fine in another year or two, but in my dissenting opinion, he hasn't looked so good at the NHL level. 

Small sample size, and its tougher to assess D unless you're specifically following them (which I haven't) but I've noticed him standing still more than I'd like, and he seems slow to make the outlet pass.

I think he might be better off finishing the season in ROC even if he's still better than Irwin.

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm sure he'll be fine in another year or two, but in my dissenting opinion, he hasn't looked so good at the NHL level. 

Small sample size, and its tougher to assess D unless you're specifically following them (which I haven't) but I've noticed him standing still more than I'd like, and he seems slow to make the outlet pass.

I think he might be better off finishing the season in ROC even if he's still better than Irwin.

ROC is where he should be right now, but in a lost Sabres season, I don’t see any harm in him getting a taste of the NHL. And he hasn’t been bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I think he looks lumbering and ineffective at this time. 

I think he’s a good prospect though. Pairing him with Risto likely doesn’t do him any favours. 

I think a mid pair role has a reasonable likelihood of being his end result 

12 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

ROC is where he should be right now, but in a lost Sabres season, I don’t see any harm in him getting a taste of the NHL. And he hasn’t been bad. 

In a normal season sure - but roc is such a dumpster fire now with half the players getting called up.

Samuelsson needs to stop being partnered with Ristolainen. I'd love to see some of that.

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Samuelsson Miller

or

Samuelsson Laaksonen

Samuelsson's been solid. He's made some mistakes, and some jittery plays, but also some really noticeable positives (especially vs NYR)

The problem is Ristolainen makes dumbass plays routinely, and is also currently playing the worst 3-4 games stretch I've ever seen him play. Bench him so we can get a better look.

Edited by Gabrielor

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.