Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Eh, I don’t think it lowers his trade value any.  The other GMs already knew that Adams was sticking to his ask, and they weren’t willing to go there.  You think they going to offer less today than they did last week, knowing that what they offered last week wasn’t enough?  Personally, I doubt it.

I think it may cause them to pump the brakes with finally rising to KA asking price.

Just now, I-90 W said:

I think it may cause them to pump the brakes with finally rising to KA asking price.

Could be.  I guess it all depends on whether any particular GM thinks that KA will fold, or if they think he will hold fire.

As of right now, they were all pumping the brakes on raising to his ask already.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PP Slapper said:

Getting Jack outta here sooner rather than later is in the best interest of the franchise. They are getting skewered right now.  Rip off the band aid and let this fanbase heal a little.  

Exactly what Jack's camp wants. And why the tweet and doctor interview were released over the weekend. Panic. Move. As for healing, have we healed yet over the Ryan O'Reilly trade?

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, PP Slapper said:

What if Jack doesn’t register a point in 10 games?  What will the offers look like then?

He only had 2 goals and didn't play in 20 games and they've had a bunch of interest so I don't think it will be much different.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Exactly what Jack's camp wants. And why the tweet and doctor interview were released over the weekend. Panic. Move. As for healing, have we healed yet over the Ryan O'Reilly trade?

I did but most of the posters are still lamenting Black Sunday.  Gotta move on.  

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I think we need to remember what happend with Duchene and Sakic.   That dragged on for more than a year as well, but in the end Sakic got what he wanted.

Look at what Duchene got.

Girard - Top 4 D for the avs
Shane bowers - Was an A level prospect back then ( still needs to make the team I think)
1st round pick - Bo byram was selected
Kamenev - still in KHL 
2nd round and 3rd round pick
Edit: they also got goalie Andrew hammond as a throw in.

This is what Duchene got, and some of us think Eichel will get less than this ?  Eichel is a sure 1C in the NHL ,  you ask for a boatload back because even in this trade there are some busts.

From the Rangers it would translate to something like a 1, 2, 3, Lundqvist (Girard) Kravtsov (Bowers) and Georgiev (Hammond/Kamenev)

The other big recent trade for a stud was the Karlsson trade.

From the Ducks that roughly translates to a 1st, Comtois, Perreault, Larsson  (Tierney, Norris, Demelo)

Going back a few years to Tyler Seguin.

From the Wild: Fiala (Erikson) Boldy (Smith), Addison (Morrow)

Now Eichel should and does have better value than Seguin, Duchene and Karlsson, but this exercise does show why GMs are balking at Adams’ reported ask; it’s kinda unprecedented, at least in the modern era.

Edited by dudacek

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From the Rangers it would translate to something like a 1, 2, 3, Lundqvist (Girard) Kravtsov (Bowers) and Georgiev (Hammond/Kamenev)

From the Ducks that roughly translates to a 1st, Comtois, Perreault, Larsson  (Tierney, Norris, Demelo)

Now Eichel should and does have better value than Seguin, Duchene and Karlsson, but this exercise does show why GMs are balking at Adams’ reported ask; it’s kinda unprecedented, at least in the modern era.

Which kinda makes Eichel's "frustration" even funnier. Like, did he think it was going to be easy?

• Like (+1) 1

Posted the rest of the notes in the Around the NHL thread about every other team, but here's the Sabres (Eichel only portion, rest on Buffalo is in the Around thread) portion on Friedman's 31 Thoughts podcast: 

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/heres-32-thoughts/

- Sabres : Did the interview with the doctor on the neck procedures, says people reached out after and educated Friedman on insurance and how the surgery goes that he hadn't thought of and wishes he asked in that interview. The Sabres and Bills share a Dr.Capaccuino that has done these neck procedures before. That Dr. and Eichel's camp have not spoken yet.

How much does the Peter Fish note move an Eichel trade along? Sentiments don't surprise anyone, Eichel just wants the process to be over and wants to get the procedure done on if he can do it. Russo (Wild) commented on Friedman's interview and said the Wild will let him make that decision. Eichel's camp probably knows that. Eichel is mad, but Sabres are mad too by being pushed. He thinks the Sabres have that line and will not move at all; if they would, he'd be gone already. 'Sports are very alpha. You have to be able to handle intimidation, and be willing to intimidate. Sabres are looking at this as a test to that' (paraphrased). Believes he's eventually traded. 

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Maybe there is a maximum value that any single player can have, regardless of talent. No mater how talented a player is, a smart GM is not going to gut their prospect pool to acquire a single guy in a sport where the top Center in TOI (Draisaitl) only played a smidge over 1/3 of the game.

24 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Posted the rest of the notes in the Around the NHL thread about every other team, but here's the Sabres (Eichel only portion, rest on Buffalo is in the Around thread) portion on Friedman's 31 Thoughts podcast: 

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/heres-32-thoughts/

- Sabres : Did the interview with the doctor on the neck procedures, says people reached out after and educated Friedman on insurance and how the surgery goes that he hadn't thought of and wishes he asked in that interview. The Sabres and Bills share a Dr.Capaccuino that has done these neck procedures before. That Dr. and Eichel's camp have not spoken yet.

How much does the Peter Fish note move an Eichel trade along? Sentiments don't surprise anyone, Eichel just wants the process to be over and wants to get the procedure done on if he can do it. Russo (Wild) commented on Friedman's interview and said the Wild will let him make that decision. Eichel's camp probably knows that. Eichel is mad, but Sabres are mad too by being pushed. He thinks the Sabres have that line and will not move at all; if they would, he'd be gone already. 'Sports are very alpha. You have to be able to handle intimidation, and be willing to intimidate. Sabres are looking at this as a test to that' (paraphrased). Believes he's eventually traded. 

I'd be interested to know if Dr. Cappuccino has been made available to Eichel's team and they are refusing his input, or if he has advised the Sabres and they don't feel that it's necessary to have Dr. Cappuccino interacting directly with Eichel's camp?

There are a lot of different ways to try to make sense of that comment.

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'd be interested to know if Dr. Cappuccino has been made available to Eichel's team and they are refusing his input, or if he has advised the Sabres and they don't feel that it's necessary to have Dr. Cappuccino interacting directly with Eichel's camp?

There are a lot of different ways to try to make sense of that comment.

'[Speaking of motives] Dr.Cappuccino hasn't spoken, or the Sabres doctors haven't spoken...I didn't think it was fair to comment on their motives'

It's really hard to figure out what Friedman is talking about here...I can't tell if he's saying he doesn't know Cappuccino's motives, or if they literally haven't talked.

Edited by WildCard

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

'[Speaking of motives] Dr.Cappuccino hasn't spoken, or the Sabres doctors haven't spoken...I didn't think it was fair to comment on their motives'

It's really hard to figure out what Friedman is talking about here...I can't tell if he's saying he doesn't know Cappuccino's motives, or if they literally haven't talked.

Yeah I'm having a hard time parsing this into anything meaningful.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Yeah I'm having a hard time parsing this into anything meaningful.

I did find it interesting that the Sabres have a Dr (surgeon) on staff, that works with the Bills and Sabres and has done this procedure, and are still against it. That doesn't mean Dr.Cappuccino is against it, but they've undoubtedly received his opinion from him and are still against it.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I did find it interesting that the Sabres have a Dr (surgeon) on staff, that works with the Bills and Sabres and has done this procedure, and are still against it. That doesn't mean Dr.Cappuccino is against it, but they've undoubtedly received his opinion from him and are still against it.

I think the difference is hockey player Jack vs human being Jack. As a human being, hopefully living 80 years or so, I would take the ADR every day. As a person who only gives a rats ass about the hockey player, I would probably suggest  the fusion. 

I don’t think 50 year old jack is going to think kindly of 25 year old Jack getting the fusion surgery when he already has $40 million.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I don’t think you understand my position. I agree with KA not moving him. I’m simply noting that Jack is not helping the process.

How is he hurting the process? The hockey world knows what is going on between him and the organization. And why is it so surprising that he is publicly expressing his frustrations? He has good reasons to be frustrated. It's not a secret in the hockey world that he wants out and that the organization wants to deal him. All that noise is atmospherics that has little influence on what is really influencing the trade market i.e. his present and future health status. And that is a complicated issue. 

Just now, JohnC said:

How is he hurting the process? The hockey world knows what is going on between him and the organization. And why is it so surprising that he is publicly expressing his frustrations? He has good reasons to be frustrated. It's not a secret in the hockey world that he wants out and that the organization wants to deal him. All that noise is atmospherics that has little influence on what is really influencing the trade market i.e. his present and future health status. And that is a complicated issue. 

I already answered that question so it’s kind of pointless for me to repeat it. This is all speculation anyhow. I suspect that it may have put perceived pressure on KA, thus lowering the trade value. You suspect it didn’t move the needle because GMs already knew he wanted out. That’s where we are.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

They've set the parking brake, shut off the car and are enjoying a cappuccino in the coffee shop.

Until they're the last to realize the "coffee shop" they're in is called The Blue Oyster.

4 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I already answered that question so it’s kind of pointless for me to repeat it. This is all speculation anyhow. I suspect that it may have put perceived pressure on KA, thus lowering the trade value. You suspect it didn’t move the needle because GMs already knew he wanted out. That’s where we are.

Your suspicions are not well grounded. Everyone in the business knows what is going on.