Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes, but why have that issue hanging over KA’s head?

Not to mention, if you're a team like Minnesota or say a low-mid market with assets, your window to nab a true #1 center, locked in for 5 years, is closing. Once the NMC kicks in, John (likely) blocks all trades, aside from Boston or NY.  Logically, those teams should jump at this chance... but it's like everyone is taking crazy pills. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Time for KA to say Jack is off the market.  He should say that we are committed to get Jack healthy and back on the ice to help our young team.

If I were KA I’d tell Jack’s agent that his public comments are the reason he was taken off the market and that if he wants Jack traded he needs to waive the NMC and he’ll allow Jack to have surgery.  Once Jack returns and proves he is healthy, then and only then will KA consider a trade.  

The Sabres allegedly have stated that Jack needs surgery to get healthy. I don't know that holding Jack's health and ability to play hostage for contract concessions is going to fly. 

Edited by Lanny

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No they haven't approved surgery.  If they had it would have happened already

I'm pretty sure it was approved wasn't it? The Pegula's wanted the traditional surgery but Jack's Dr. wanted him to get the artificial disc, Isn't that the case? 

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

No they haven't approved surgery.  If they had it would have happened already

Speculation, but think it's come to the point, they agree, Johnny needs surgery.  Now, which surgery is the issue.  From listening to the 31 Thoughts Pod, reading about the surgery... worst case, the artificial disc fails, and he gets the fusion - unless the doctor is full of sh--, it sounds reasonable ( from an insurance standpoint, assuming the contract is insured - it may not sound reasonable).

Basically, I don't know what the hell is going to happen.

2 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm pretty sure it was approved wasn't it? The Pegula's wanted the traditional surgery but Jack's Dr. wanted him to get this fusion, Isn't that the case? 

The traditional surgery is a fusion; John's doctor wants the artificial disc, and if it should fail, its the fusion. At least from my understanding.

Whilst I agree with the Sabres course of rehab it first. If they now agree he needs surgery, I don't know why they don't go for the artificial disk. It is not experimental, has been done on high-end players (including MMA, which is pretty brutal) and worse comes to worse, if it doesn't work you can always fuse it afterwards.

9 minutes ago, Shmuffalo said:

Speculation, but think it's come to the point, they agree, Johnny needs surgery.  Now, which surgery is the issue.  From listening to the 31 Thoughts Pod, reading about the surgery... worst case, the artificial disc fails, and he gets the fusion - unless the doctor is full of sh--, it sounds reasonable ( from an insurance standpoint, assuming the contract is insured - it may not sound reasonable).

Basically, I don't know what the hell is going to happen.

The traditional surgery is a fusion; John's doctor wants the artificial disc, and if it should fail, its the fusion. At least from my understanding.

Yes thank you, I switched it. 

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Yeah wouldn't know what prospect to take, Sequin not being healthy is a bit of a wash with Eichel tbh.

For me it would be:  Maverick Bourque, Thomas Harley, ______ (ROSTER PLYAER) 2022 1st, 2023 1st, and a cap dump?

18 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Whilst I agree with the Sabres course of rehab it first. If they now agree he needs surgery, I don't know why they don't go for the artificial disk. It is not experimental, has been done on high-end players (including MMA, which is pretty brutal) and worse comes to worse, if it doesn't work you can always fuse it afterwards.

Jack’s own agent is against the disk replacement, but Jack is for it. Not sure how this is going to end. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Jack’s own agent is against the disk replacement, but Jack is for it. Not sure how this is going to end. 

It's likely Jack gets moved out of town for less than market value and we'll all lament out how bad Adams handled this thing and cry for his head and remain a bottom dwelling team unless find away to draft and develop quality guys again or make some serious trades to improve us.

29 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

They agreed to give it time to heal on it's own with conservative treatment.   They also agreed that if it wasn't healed by a certain date, they would OK the surgery.    

That said, the agent's letter mentions that Buffalo is no longer approving surgery even after the agreed upon rehab window has expired.

This tells me that either it is slowly healing and they want to give it more time (most likely IMO), or they are close to a trade and don't want to be liable for the surgery.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Fusion the vertebrae won’t help much after a brutal open ice hit that jars the disc out of place leaving him paralyzed. This is the issue. If he was a hockey player, the ADR would be the best as a human being. If Jack agrees he would like the best long-term solution, he should retire and have his surgery. I’m sure Terry would still foot the bill. 

39 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

They agreed to give it time to heal on it's own with conservative treatment.   They also agreed that if it wasn't healed by a certain date, they would OK the surgery.    

That said, the agent's letter mentions that Buffalo is no longer approving surgery even after the agreed upon rehab window has expired.

This tells me that either it is slowly healing and they want to give it more time (most likely IMO), or they are close to a trade and don't want to be liable for the surgery.

“After the agreed-upon and prescribed period for conservative rehabilitation lapsed in early June 2021, it was determined by the Sabres medical staff that a surgical procedure was required,” the agents said. 

https://theathletic.com/2743585/2021/07/31/agents-for-jack-eichel-fire-their-shot-put-pressure-on-sabres-to-make-trade-happen/

image.thumb.png.30667bf344fccb06494af2ecc7b5c85e.png

Edited by Lanny
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

If Jack chooses his own surgery he probably voids his contract and the agent is SOL

I doubt it immediately voids it, but imagine it becomes voidable (question is when/how much time do the Sabres have to terminate the contract ... I don't know the answer, or if this issue arose, but if they let him play post surgery, it's arguable the Sabres indirectly acquiesced to the surgery).  Just an all around sh-t show.

But to your point, from an agent's perspective ('Dolla Dolla Bill, Ya'll') it would sure suck potentially losing a guaranteed percentage of 50 million and likely the client.

3 minutes ago, Shmuffalo said:

I doubt it immediately voids it, but imagine it becomes voidable (question is when/how much time do the Sabres have to terminate the contract ... I don't know the answer, or if this issue arose, but if they let him play post surgery, it's arguable the Sabres indirectly acquiesced to the surgery).  Just an all around sh-t show.

But to your point, from an agent's perspective ('Dolla Dolla Bill, Ya'll') it would sure suck potentially losing a guaranteed percentage of 50 million and likely the client.

His agent also runs the risk of being fired if he doesn’t get Jack what Jack wants. Tough position to be in. 

• Like (+1) 1

Someone needs to ask a very well versed lawyer on what the Sabres can and can not do. If Eichel disregards his contractual obligation he signed.

My ignorant guess, is the Sabres can legally fully void his (remaining) contract the day after a player has a surgery without the teams full consent/agreement. They don’t need to “wait and see if the surgery was successful” in order to void the contract.

6 minutes ago, kas23 said:

His agent also runs the risk of being fired if he doesn’t get Jack what Jack wants. Tough position to be in. 

Right, I wonder how much is their self-interest damage control, I doubt John's too happy 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Zamboni said:

Someone needs to ask a very well versed lawyer on what the Sabres can and can not do. If Eichel disregards his contractual obligation he signed.

My ignorant guess, is the Sabres can legally fully void his (remaining) contract the day after a player has a surgery without the teams full consent/agreement. They don’t need to “wait and see if the surgery was successful” in order to void the contract.

You misunderstood me, once he goes against the Sabres directive with the surgery, the contract (by all accounts, unless it's the worst written player contract) becomes voidable.  However, to preserve an asset, I only posed the question, can the Sabres do a "wait and see approach."

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Surgery, not The Surgery.  As in, fuse the vertebrae, notreplace the disc.

Where is this fusion story coming from?   Friedmann?   

We haven't heard KA or Jack's agents say they only approved fusion surgery.