Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Lots of legal experts chiming in but none of the actual attorney's on this board have spoken up.  Hmmmm....

If the Sharks buy out Kane, and free up $7m how about:

William Eklund, Nicholas Meloche, Tomas Hertl (cash dump but a solid player that could help shelter Cozens and Middlestadt) and 2022 1st for Jack

Hertl has one year left on contract at $5.5m, could fetch a decent return at the trade deadline but does have a modified NMC.

Sabres were rumored to love Eklund

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Lots of legal experts chiming in but none of the actual attorney's on this board have spoken up.  Hmmmm....

1. Can't give legal advice; 2. Do not know his contract, insurance status, so what else can I give but hypotheticals; & 3. I'm billing this to Brooskie.

15 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

William Eklund, Nicholas Meloche, Tomas Hertl (cash dump but a solid player that could help shelter Cozens and Middlestadt) and 2022 1st for Jack

Hertl has one year left on contract at $5.5m, could fetch a decent return at the trade deadline but does have a modified NMC.

Yeah I been looking at the sharks as an option myself.  And would love it because it puts more pressure on the Ducks and Kings.

Would like one more prospect though.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

welcome back to the board.

52 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I wonder how many pages we will reach before he is traded ? 😄

Considering there is nothing going on for the next month until training camp begins, it will be a steady dose of Jack, Jack and more Jack....unless KA has some more $750k signings to announce. 

12 hours ago, Shmuffalo said:

Speculation, but think it's come to the point, they agree, Johnny needs surgery.  Now, which surgery is the issue.  From listening to the 31 Thoughts Pod, reading about the surgery... worst case, the artificial disc fails, and he gets the fusion - unless the doctor is full of sh--, it sounds reasonable ( from an insurance standpoint, assuming the contract is insured - it may not sound reasonable).

Basically, I don't know what the hell is going to happen.

The traditional surgery is a fusion; John's doctor wants the artificial disc, and if it should fail, its the fusion. At least from my understanding.

"We'll give you our top prospects for him!"

---No one 

Been distraught reading this thread the last hour.   

It's over.  He isn't going anywhere right now.  No team is going to do this especially since they may only have him for 4 seasons of that contract (if he has to miss 2021 or most of it).  

The only thing that makes sense is Jack is trying to force a trade to a team he wants to go to and that team can win now with or without him but will not give up more then what will be first round picks in the 20s and a few mid to decent prospects.  

KA might just have to do it.  Eichel's team is banking on it.  In a weird way because of the injury and salary Jack does have more leverage.  And he's deliberately made it worse with the public comments last week. 

Edited by Second Line Center

9 hours ago, Shmuffalo said:

That's my point; I only set is a hypothetical, but if he gets "his" surgery, the contract becomes voidable ... the question turns to how much time does the team have should the surgery go wrong? Inaction (not immediately terminating the contract after material breach) is often viewed as action (it was a breach, however the team failed to act in "x" amount of time, and it's viewed as permission or barred by some contractual timeline).  

I don't know if the Sabres can have their cake and eat it too.

Saying this, I fully expect news to break we acquired Kaapo Kakko and a conditional 3rd for Eichel (Retaining 20% of his Cap) in the coming weeks.  (shoot me).

No I think you nailed it.  

But we'll get their first.  Protected of course.   

Getting 4 players for one is tough in NHL.  You add 10 mill and one player, you are going to need those prospects (because of the their lower cap hit) to fill out the roster.  Giving draft picks is different, there are a bunch of variables - does he develop, skills, what number is the pick (not round but is it top 10 or 50th),etc .  Sabres want 5 players or 4 = tough to get.  Sabres also have cap space this year to eat a bad contract to put on the KO Skinner line, but that will slow down the development of the current players on the team and slow down the rebuild.  This could end up in court over Jack's current contract and injury mess (as mentioned above).

Seth Jones and pick 32 were traded for pick 11, Boqvist (a first pairing defensive prospect), a first in 2022, and 2nd rounder. 

So if we are talking about Eichel for some unknown first in 2022, a 2nd tier prospect, and a cap dump, we aren't in the ballpark. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 3