Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

I don't see this in either of the Eichel threads, on 31 Thoughts podcast from this morning:

Friedman: I think the only thing that is suddenly becoming an issue here is, if you don't do this deal soon is the acquiring team going to be comfortable that Eichel is going to have time to recover to be ready for next year. And again, the ask is really high, there is one team that's out there and someone from there just said "you wouldn't believe what the ask is." 

...I just think the ask is really high. We'll see, they've tried to keep a lid on it after everything that happened when it first started. There is at least one team that's out there that is saying "if this isn't soon we're out." 

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/back-to-florida/id1332150124?i=1000527963179

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I don't see this in either of the Eichel threads, on 31 Thoughts podcast from this morning:

Friedman: I think the only thing that is suddenly becoming an issue here is, if you don't do this deal soon is the acquiring team going to be comfortable that Eichel is going to have time to recover to be ready for next year. And again, the ask is really high, there is one team that's out there and someone from there just said "you wouldn't believe what the ask is." 

...I just think the ask is really high. We'll see, they've tried to keep a lid on it after everything that happened when it first started. There is at least one team that's out there that is saying "if this isn't soon we're out." 

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/back-to-florida/id1332150124?i=1000527963179

Maybe that team should up their offer. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Good on ya, Kevyn. Stay strong.

• Like (+1) 9

Hi everyone.  I'm new to the discussion but thought I would chime in with some thoughts on an Eichel trade.

I think that Anaheim will be difficult to deal with primarily because GM Bob Murray has been stingy in the past.  Would love Zegras though and the 3OA. 

I think LA will be willing to give up Byfield and 8OA in a deal especially because Drew Doughty came out and said we want to win now.  They can't afford to wait 2-3 years for Byfield to develop.  He's also not as good as Jack.  I can see him as a future Sabre and doing well.  I think he has more upside than Alex Turcotte as a number 1 center (who I think they would like to keep as their future #2 behind Jack).

I'm thinking that Columbus is the most desperate of the teams after Jack.  They need to try and salvage the Patrick Laine trade by getting him a number 1 center.  They really don't have enough assets today in their system to make a trade work.  One thing that I hadn't seen discussed very much is a 3 team trade with Columbus getting extra assets for Seth Jones in order to make the trade happen.  Including Reinhart in the deal would allow Columbus to ship Seth Jones and Reinhart to make the deal work to get enough quality assets back.  What do you think about potentials coming from the Blackhawks, Flyers, or Avs?  I would love to get Konecny as part of a deal from the Flyers (what else?).  Kirby Dach and Reichel are very interesting from the Hawks.  Bowen Byram would be great if we could get him as part of a deal but they don't have a high draft pick.  I really believe that we need more than just futures for the returns.

Let me know your thoughts on a potential 3 team deal for Jack and Sam.

• Like (+1) 6

32 minutes ago, Lanny said:

My first thought upon hearing this is that for a team pursuing Eichel, leaking to Friedman that the asking price is crazy high and if this doesn’t happen soon then they are out is a logical thing to do if you are trying to get the Sabres to drop the asking price.

• Like (+1) 9

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I just keep laughing at the Columbus talk because they always make it sound like Columbus shouldn't do the trade and in reality Columbus has almost none of the pieces Buffalo should want in an Eichel deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe I'm conspiracy theorist but I think teams tell Elliott that as their last bid to try and lower cost without direct negotiation, and Elliott is happy to oblige. 

It is a good sign that Kevyn has remained firm and I don't think every team will just walk away if that doesn't work 

• Like (+1) 9

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Maybe I'm conspiracy theorist but I think teams tell Elliott that as their last bid to try and lower cost without direct negotiation, and Elliott is happy to oblige. 

It is a good sign that Kevyn has remained firm and I don't think every team will just walk away if that doesn't work 

This. It’s in the stare down stage.

We will see who bends.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

The longer Adams stands firm, the more I start to believe (and hope) he's not quite as concerned as some think about Jack's long term health prognosis - if he was supremely concerned, he'd be taking a huge risk by not getting this deal done, at even close to reasonable value, ASAP, before the injury situation started to look worse, or teams did indeed back out. 

Edited by Thorny

I agree completely, this looks like an intentional targeted lesk.  The couple of teams that REALLY want him will pony up a little more at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I always feel that way about national coverage of the Sabres: inflate prices for what the Sabres are buying; depress prices for what the Sabres are selling.

Aside from that, I am glad to hear that GMKA is holding firm.

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The longer Adams stands firm, the more I start to believe (and hope) he's not quite as concerned as some think about Jack's long term health prognosis - if he was supremely concerned, he'd be taking a huge risk by not getting this deal done, at even close to reasonable value, ASAP, before the injury situation started to look worse, or teams did indeed back out. 

I agree.  I infer that the rest has helped and that the doctors have told GMKA to hold firm against the surgery and that it will heal itself.

1 hour ago, Trettioåtta said:

I think I’ll be disappointed regardless of the trade. I think we will end up trading for volume - getting five players back, all of them young but with low end second line ceilings and a couple of picks 

Unless, say, it's a hockey trade with Calgary or some such, that's what you should expect.  We should get 1 prime piece and we can hope for 2 prime pieces.  But the idea that some team is going to empty the cupboard for even a healthy Eichel is, frankly, delusional.  That's why I focus on the other team's current #2C, good players buried on some part of the depth chart, and conditional picks based on Eichel's health and performance as places to hunt for a return.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Honestly, I always feel that way about national coverage of the Sabres: inflate prices for what the Sabres are buying; depress prices for what the Sabres are selling.

Aside from that, I am glad to hear that GMKA is holding firm.

I agree.  I infer that the rest has helped and that the doctors have told GMKA to hold firm against the surgery and that it will heal itself.

Unless, say, it's a hockey trade with Calgary or some such, that's what you should expect.  We should get 1 prime piece and we can hope for 2 prime pieces.  But the idea that some team is going to empty the cupboard for even a healthy Eichel is, frankly, delusional.  That's why I focus on the other team's current #2C, good players buried on some part of the depth chart, and conditional picks based on Eichel's health and performance as places to hunt for a return.

That's too much finesse and risk for the Sabres who are shopping their top 2 centers.

The safer bet is to role with Eichel, Reinhart, and Mittelstadt down the middle.  Add a goalie, prune the defense, find a useful winger or two, let the young guys develop, and see where the team is at 30 or so games in.  

That plan has better odds of working than any of the trade scenarios.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's not a conspiracy theory, that's all part of The Game: Utilize friendly media useful idiots to control the narrative to get what you want.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, sabremike said:

That's not a conspiracy theory, that's all part of The Game: Utilize friendly media useful idiots to control the narrative to get what you want.

My beef is that the media always seem to devalue players the Sabres have and over-value other teams' players, depending on where they are based.  And guys from Buffalo like the late Jim Kelley never pumped the Sabres' tires.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Lanny said:

“If it does not happen soon, one team is out”

I believe that is mostly media posturing, but there is an element of truth in the idea of “let’s get Jack fixed ASAP”.

If serious threat, would it not be best for the team in question to sweeten its offer now in order to force some movement?

Edited by dudacek

Minnesota, Chicago, Las Vegas, Anaheim, Los Angeles.  Definitely, get this done for one of these trade partners.  The Rangers seem to be penny pinching.  They can take a swift kick in the nuts. 

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I believe that is mostly media posturing, but there is an element of truth in the idea of “let’s get Jack fixed ASAP”.

If serious threat, would it not be best for the team in question to sweeten its offer now in order to force some movement?

If a team told me that, I would be like... 

Vine Ok GIF

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

The way I interpret this (and I haven’t listened to the podcast), is that if the Sabres don’t lower their “unbelievable” asking price soon, then they’re out of the running. So, they’re losing patience with KA’s asking price, not the process. I say good riddance. Buh-bye and call their rival again. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Minnesota, Chicago, Las Vegas, Anaheim, Los Angeles.  Definitely, get this done for one of these trade partners.  The Rangers seem to be penny pinching.  They can take a swift kick in the nuts. 

It really does sound like it’s been the Rags in the background crying the whole time with all these media leaks. Take their card out of the Rolodex, Kevyn. 

I was toying around and thinking what an Islanders trade would look like figuring Barzal would be off limits.

2022 1st + Mayfield + sorokin + Bailey + holmstrom.

Not really the best offers, that 2022 1st is most likely late -   Mayfield is good RD to replace Risto and Sorokin gives us a goalie.
Bailey is good top 6 and can help out our young centers, 

I picked holmstrom but can add in any other prospect seeing they don't have much I like, maybe push for Wahlstrom here.

How much is that a trade is completed and they are just waiting for the end of the Final to happen so they don't upstage the league?

I have to imagine that if they aren't at 100% they are 95%.