Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There are no Cup final games in the weekend.

I think the shoe is about to drop.

If Boston were playing,  I would assume it was a Shoebottom.

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Just like Buffalo was going to get out of the basement adding Hall

Theres a lot more to hockey than a talented player. 

Theres a lot more to hockey than a talented player.  The Oilers have the very best and a great second punch and look at them. 

Theres a lot more to hockey than a talented player.  The Oilers have the very best and a great second punch and look at them. 

This wins the Useless Post of the Year Award. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

That kind of 'glitch' (??) has happened a few times.

When in doubt blame the damn phone.  That's my motto.

I’ve noticed it to where hitting submit reply doesn’t do anything but if you refresh the page the response will still be there

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:54 AM, SabresVet said:

Aside from them having much better forward production, a Stanley Cup winning HC, and better goaltending, yes, it's a very similar situation comparing NYI to BUF. 

It's like people are surprised or something, or think it's some sort of argument for why losing Eichel is perfectly fine. Newflash - a deep team can succeed without a superstar, while a superstar can't succeed without a good team. This has always been true, and it doesn't mean a superstar doesn't make a good team much better. The other part of the equation is that if we trade Jack for futures, we have neither. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Hoss said:

This is the biggest myth in sports, by far. The “if you add Player X to Team X then their results improve by This Much.”

That is not how any of this works and I don’t know how we have decades and decades of watching the more talented teams or even the teams with the most talent in important positions lose to teams with less talent and STILL think like this. There are so many factors that go into winning a sporting event. If you insert John Tavares into the lineup you have to consider how much better he is than the player he is replacing, what other players have to be jettisoned for salary reasons, what shots/plays he is taking away from other players that would stunt their growth (or potentially improve their development, really), what system changes the Isles make and probably most importantly: the matchup game the other team plays.

You add talent to improve your chances at accomplishing your goals but it does not guarantee you anything. Especially in a sport like hockey where there are so many other players that need ice time.

We’re seeing it with these NBA playoffs - so many stars injured and everyone just saying “if XXX was healthy XXX wins that series.” We simply don’t know that. Look at the Hawks-Bucks series. Hawks go into game four without Trae Young, the only player on their team even near star status. He is out and everyone, myself included, says it’s game over. Bucks at full strength should blow through them. Except the Hawks come out as a group and walk through the Bucks with ease (the Bucks best player was hurt later in the game but the Hawks were up double digits much of the game prior to that).

All true. 

Often, the more talented teams win though, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's like people are surprised or something, or think it's some sort of argument for why losing Eichel is perfectly fine. Newflash - a deep team can succeed without a superstar, while a superstar can't succeed without a good team. This has always been true, and it doesn't mean a superstar doesn't make a good team much better. The other part of the equation is that if we trade Jack for futures, we have neither. 

There's no way a trade does anything but make the next few seasons awful. And I think Granato is a good choice for HC. Poor guy.

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

There's no way a trade does anything but make the next few seasons awful. And I think Granato is a good choice for HC. Poor guy.

I *still* think a true hockey trade represents the reasonable compromise between the "he has to go" group and the "I don't want to rebuild for another 3 years" crew. It's just something the league has decided it doesn't really do with big name players very often. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

If the trade is only for futures?  Probably.  If it includes the right "now" players, then we can actually improve.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

If the trade is only for futures?  Probably.  If it includes the right "now" players, then we can actually improve.

I think we need some of both.  The right  now players have to hate losing too.  We need players that don’t settle. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Been wanting to start a season on EA sports NHL this summer and can't even do that until Jack gets moved SMH

No way my leading scorer is getting dealt mid-season

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Hold firm Adams.

part of me is beginning to wonder if the analysts are playing this trade idea more than it actually is?

@Randall Flaggand I have spoken before about how sometimes the media tends to will these things into existence. 

• Like (+1) 2

I wonder if an acceptable package would be a top prospect, and then multiple conditional 1st round picks based on how many games Eichel plays in the next season or two. 

That way both teams are protected.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I wonder if an acceptable package would be a top prospect, and then multiple conditional 1st round picks based on how many games Eichel plays in the next season or two. 

That way both teams are protected.  

It would seem to make sense on paper but I doubt KA would want the future of this franchise in any way tied to Jack's health status if he's going out of his way to move him. I don't think the injury is the driving factor of the deal, but at the same time I think being free of being reliant on Jack's health status would be a significant bonus for KA in moving him - doubt he'd like to keep that waiting game alive. 

Also:

"Sweet! Jack's healthy and in MVP form, we get a bunch of firsts!"

"Oh, wait.."

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It would seem to make sense on paper but I doubt KA would want the future of this franchise in any way tied to Jack's health status if he's going out of his way to move him. I don't think the injury is the driving factor of the deal, but at the same time I think being free of being reliant on Jack's health status would be a significant bonus for KA in moving him - doubt he'd like to keep that waiting game alive. 

Also:

"Sweet! Jack's healthy and in MVP form, we get a bunch of firsts!"

"Oh, wait.."

I know but if he is disgruntled and wants out, what is the alternative.  If you hold on him and showcase him the first month of the season, who has room in season for a $10 mil cap hit?  Also, what if he becomes a negative force in the locker room?

Make the best deal you can this summer and move on.  Futures, conditional picks, roster players, short term cap dumps...have to hope that Adams and Karmanos can sort through the offers, and take the one that they believe will work out the best. 🤞

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Hold firm Adams.

part of me is beginning to wonder if the analysts are playing this trade idea more than it actually is?

It happens across the board but no sports’ analysts do this more than hockey analysts. I remember a couple years ago several analysts hyped up the trade deadline as what was supposed to be the most active ever and then the night before all of them ***** themselves realizing they were wrong and came up with “there’s so many players available that everyone is waiting for the first shoe to drop so it’s likely nothing will happen!”

36 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I just think if we weren't going to trade him, the team would make it obvious. KA - " We expect to have a healthy Jack Eichel in our lineup come opening day"

This is the main reason I think a trade seems like a likely outcome even though my gut says it ain’t happening until it happens. The team hasn’t committed anything to their captain.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

If we trade for futures, who is in the next group of current players that gets fed up with rebuilding and wants out in 2 or 3 years.

And we still don't have a goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I know but if he is disgruntled and wants out, what is the alternative.  If you hold on him and showcase him the first month of the season, who has room in season for a $10 mil cap hit?  Also, what if he becomes a negative force in the locker room?

Make the best deal you can this summer and move on.  Futures, conditional picks, roster players, short term cap dumps...have to hope that Adams and Karmanos can sort through the offers, and take the one that they believe will work out the best. 🤞

I’m not just taking the best offer to rid ourselves of the best player we have

• Like (+1) 4