Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I read somewhere a 3 month rehab if he opts for surgery. 

3 to 6 months is best case - if it's a herniated disc and he gets the procedure I've read about on Dr. Google.  Which is why I'm not understanding what KA is talking about regarding a surgery never done on an NHL player.  Google can tell you this to.  Is there some new procedure we don't know about? 

There are so many variables at work here. 

So regarding Vogl's tweet and what they mean by coming to a resolution:

The team he's traded to - don't they have to agree on a course of treatment for Eichel as well?  If Eichel is getting surgery now after being shutdown for almost 4 months I mean it's got to be a serious concern.  

The team he's traded to - they aren't going to trade for a guy that doesn't want to be there - the Sabres have the window to trade him wherever they can but the team getting him will not come June 2022.  He's got to be happy with where he's going, right?  Who wants a disgruntled and injured Eichel that completely can dictate where he's traded next....if it came to that.  

Eichel's camp is going to have a significant say (that's what Vogls tweet tells me and we'd be naive to have ever thought otherwise).  I'm sure every team wants him but it's likely been down to 2 or 3 realistically again given all the variables (injury, cost, contract, NMC, and yes, where Jack wants to go).    

And that limits the return because there is no "bidding war."  Why do you need to increase your trade package when there are only 2 or 3 (I'm obviously guessing) serious players in on Jack.

I think I'm just preparing myself for a very meh return.  I think we're going to get 1 maybe 2 first rounders, a top (not elite) prospect, and a mid level one.  

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

3 to 6 months is best case - if it's a herniated disc and he gets the procedure I've read about on Dr. Google.  Which is why I'm not understanding what KA is talking about regarding a surgery never done on an NHL player.  Google can tell you this to.  Is there some new procedure we don't know about? 

There are so many variables at work here. 

So regarding Vogl's tweet and what they mean by coming to a resolution:

The team he's traded to - don't they have to agree on a course of treatment for Eichel as well?  If Eichel is getting surgery now after being shutdown for almost 4 months I mean it's got to be a serious concern.  

The team he's traded to - they aren't going to trade for a guy that doesn't want to be there - the Sabres have the window to trade him wherever they can but the team getting him will not come June 2022.  He's got to be happy with where he's going, right?  Who wants a disgruntled and injured Eichel that completely can dictate where he's traded next....if it came to that.  

Eichel's camp is going to have a significant say (that's what Vogls tweet tells me and we'd be naive to have ever thought otherwise).  I'm sure every team wants him but it's likely been down to 2 or 3 realistically again given all the variables (injury, cost, contract, NMC, and yes, where Jack wants to go).    

And that limits the return because there is no "bidding war."  Why do you need to increase your trade package when there are only 2 or 3 (I'm obviously guessing) serious players in on Jack.

I think I'm just preparing myself for a very meh return.  I think we're going to get 1 maybe 2 first rounders, a top (not elite) prospect, and a mid level one.  

I'd rather let him sit 5 years then capitulate and take garbage or trade him to the Rangers/Bruins 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd rather let him sit 5 years then capitulate and take garbage or trade him to the Rangers/Bruins 

You keep saying this so I think we all know your stance but you don't ACTUALLY believe letting one of the best assets in the league just sit around and do nothing is better than getting a good package from a team you hate, right? Never mind that there's a full 0% chance of it actually happening, I'm just interested in knowing if you actually believe that insanity.

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

You keep saying this so I think we all know your stance but you don't ACTUALLY believe letting one of the best assets in the league just sit around and do nothing is better than getting a good package from a team you hate, right? Never mind that there's a full 0% chance of it actually happening, I'm just interested in knowing if you actually believe that insanity.

Depends, under zero circumstances do I trade Eichel in the division. If the Bruins want him I'd want Mcavoy, Pasta and Marchand for starters.

I will always say, if you can't get fair value and/or wants a team like Boston; we are better off holding him hostage and just taking the loss to prevent others for taking a further step forward.  Effectively mutually assured destruction in hockey terms.

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

Just wanted to add, which would you rather deal with.....

The next 10 years listening to the media talk about how Eichel was stolen by Boston or the NYR for peanuts as he personally keeps us in the dirt.

or

How the Sabres ruined Eichel's career by demanding high value and ending up holding him for 5 years.

To be honest, if no one will give us value that includes a high 1st and a Top Tier Prospect at very least; Eichel better get ready to either beg another team to pay his ransom or start thinking of a few hobbies.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Agreed another ROR trade just cannot happen.  

I would not trade him in conference BUT if the package is one you can't pass up yes I'm doing it at this point especially if the WC team is low balling.  

Zero chance the Rangers give us Fox but if he's in the deal I'm making it happen.  Something like that.  Young elite talent being offered you have to get the elite talent.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The next 10 years listening to the media talk about how Eichel was stolen by Boston or the NYR for peanuts as he personally keeps us in the dirt.

or

How the Sabres ruined Eichel's career by demanding high value and ending up holding him for 5 years.

To be honest, if no one will give us value that includes a high 1st and a Top Tier Prospect at very least; Eichel better get ready to either beg another team to pay his ransom or start thinking of a few hobbies.

I legitimately could not give a ***** what the media says or what some knob from another city says about the team if we get players that are effective in our quest for success. Being a fan is about not being insecure about what other people say (I know the insecurity is not exclusive to Buffalo but boy is it loud here).

I would absolutely rather the first than the second, though. If the Sabres were to hold Eichel out and "ruin his career" they'd never touch another meanwhile free agent or extension.

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

WTF cares if the media talks about Boston or NY stealing Jack?  So much insecurity.  The one and only thing that matters is that the return is maximized.  If it takes a trade to Boston, Toronto, Montreal so be it.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Hoss said:

Well partially because the draft lottery odds make that plan nearly impossible and mostly because Jack Eichel, myself and other fans would like burn down the arena if this were the plan. I know you’re trolling but any notion that more losing would appease Eichel is insanity.

I'm not trolling we won't be good.

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm not trolling we won't be good.

The Sabres will be bad. If they’re that bad it doesn’t matter if they get Shane Wright, Eichel will burn the house down demanding a trade.

Lot of chatter on the Sabres Hockeybuzz blog that a deal with LA could happen over the weekend. (Not just speculation, per se. These are folks who claim to know someone with inside knowledge, though take that obviously with a grain of salt.) No specifics, but they say Kings have told GMKA to circle back on any competing offers he favors and they will beat it.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Lot of chatter on the Sabres Hockeybuzz blog that a deal with LA could happen over the weekend. (Not just speculation, per se. These are folks who claim to know someone with inside knowledge, though take that obviously with a grain of salt.) No specifics, but they say Kings have told GMKA to circle back on any competing offers he favors and they will beat it.

Fake "Insiders" are the kids that wanted  To play Dungeons & Dragons with you..

But anyways it would be Craig rivet day tomorrow!!! 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95277e48bdb5035df4fe

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

I don't think it happens until the Cup Final ends at the earliest. 

Which should be by Tuesday.  

Eichel gets traded by Friday of next week.  I think they know what they're going to do it's just a matter of not taking any attention from the Cup.   

If the Sabres are delaying a move that they believe will improve their team because they don't want to take attention from teams playing for the Cup, well then there is truly no hope for them.  They have become a doormat franchise.

Could you imagine, "we had an agreement that we believed was a good one in place, but while we were waiting for the Finals to finish, our trading partner got cold feet and nixed the deal.  But good thing we didn't distract from the finals.  Go Lightning!"

That would be even worse than paying Taylor Hall to play in the playoffs for one of your most hated rivals.

12 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Islanders did just fine without Tavares

The Islanders make the Finals (last and/or this season) with Tavares on their roster.

Edited by jad1

5 minutes ago, jad1 said:

If the Sabres are delaying a move that they believe will improve their team because they don't want to take attention from teams playing for the Cup, well then there is truly no hope for them.  They have become a doormat franchise.

Could you imagine, "we had an agreement that we believed was a good one in place, but while we were waiting for the Finals to finish, our trading partner got cold feet and nixed the deal.  But good thing we didn't distract from the finals.  Go Lightning!"

That would be even worse than paying Taylor Hall to play in the playoffs for one of your most hated rivals.

It wouldn’t be the Sabres delaying a trade, it would be the league. The league would probably want us not to distract fans from the Cup Finals with a humongous trade.

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

It wouldn’t be the Sabres delaying a trade, it would be the league. The league would probably want us not to distract fans from the Cup Finals with a humongous trade.

Yeah, but would it really distract people from the Finals much? 

Oh no, there’s a big trade, guess I’m not gonna watch the biggest part of the hockey season now.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

A trade involving the worst team in recent NHL history isn't going to distract from the Stanley Cup.  If anything it will drive more attention to the NHL's web site, TV channel, and and radio network.

Unless, of course, if the trade involves one of the two SC finalists, that would be distracting 🤔.

Edited by jad1

30 minutes ago, jad1 said:

The Islanders make the Finals (last and/or this season) with Tavares on their roster.

This is the biggest myth in sports, by far. The “if you add Player X to Team X then their results improve by This Much.”

That is not how any of this works and I don’t know how we have decades and decades of watching the more talented teams or even the teams with the most talent in important positions lose to teams with less talent and STILL think like this. There are so many factors that go into winning a sporting event. If you insert John Tavares into the lineup you have to consider how much better he is than the player he is replacing, what other players have to be jettisoned for salary reasons, what shots/plays he is taking away from other players that would stunt their growth (or potentially improve their development, really), what system changes the Isles make and probably most importantly: the matchup game the other team plays.

You add talent to improve your chances at accomplishing your goals but it does not guarantee you anything. Especially in a sport like hockey where there are so many other players that need ice time.

We’re seeing it with these NBA playoffs - so many stars injured and everyone just saying “if XXX was healthy XXX wins that series.” We simply don’t know that. Look at the Hawks-Bucks series. Hawks go into game four without Trae Young, the only player on their team even near star status. He is out and everyone, myself included, says it’s game over. Bucks at full strength should blow through them. Except the Hawks come out as a group and walk through the Bucks with ease (the Bucks best player was hurt later in the game but the Hawks were up double digits much of the game prior to that).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1