Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

If you’re talking about Twitter algorithms then you’re doing it wrong (although they announce some changes this week). 

My feed consists of only those people I follow, and it is displayed in chronological order. Other than the ads they put, what does this mystery algorithm have to do with what I’m seeing? It’s not like I get done reading a tweet and they’re suggesting a new one for me to read like watching a YouTube video.

You should check out the documentary The Social Dilemma, I think it's still available on Netflix. It's pretty fascinating 

Gives a pretty good rundown 

Yes, there are definitely ways to police your own feed 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

You should check out the documentary The Social Dilemma, I think it's still available on Netflix. It's pretty fascinating 

I’ve watched it and it doesn’t feel like it really applies to Twitter, honestly. You do have more control as long as you know how to use the platform.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Gives a pretty good rundown 

Yes, there are definitely ways to police your own feed 

Trust me, I am well versed in social media, algorithms, etc.… 

The problem is what you said regarding Twitter is objectively false. 

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’ve watched it and it doesn’t feel like it really applies to Twitter, honestly. You do have more control as long as you know how to use the platform.

It definitely applies to twitter - this is why i mentioned the biggest thing is just being aware it's happening. there are definitely ways to tailor your personal feed, just beware of the echo chamber. 

The more dangerous thing I mentioned was that the app prioritizes and promotes the most divisive tweets as a rule, because they draw the most interaction. If people are doom scrolling and just searching at large and aren't aware of this, they can begin to believe, especially the more they delve into the comment section, that the relationships between citizens in this world is even more divided and fractured than it really is. 

It doesn't promote discussion - it promotes arguing 

It's inherently built into it's programming

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Trust me, I am well versed in social media, algorithms, etc.… 

The problem is what you said regarding Twitter is objectively false. 

What?

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It definitely applies to twitter - this is why i mentioned the biggest thing is just being aware it's happening. there are definitely ways to tailor your personal feed, just beware of the echo chamber. 

The more dangerous thing I mentioned was that the app prioritizes and promotes the most divisive tweets as a rule, because they draw the most interaction. If people are doom scrolling and just searching at large and aren't aware of this, they can begin to believe, especially the more they delve into the comment section, that the relationships between citizens in this world is even more divided and fractured than it really is. 

The problem is you’re not listening. You’ve always been able to view your tweets chronologically. therefore there is nothing to promote.

Second, even if they were promoting tweets, they are just promoting tweets from people in your own feed. I have never ever ever ever seen a random tweet from someone I didn’t follow (or they retweeted) show in my feed because of an algorithm. It doesn’t happen.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

The problem is you’re not listening. You’ve always been able to view your tweets chronologically. therefore there is nothing to promote.

Second, even if they were promoting tweets, they are just promoting tweets from people in your own feed. I have never ever ever ever seen a random tweet from someone I didn’t follow (or they retweeted) show in my feed because of an algorithm. It doesn’t happen.

This is definitely something that happens. Here, i'll attach a screenshot. Won't be hard to find.

I'm sure it's a feature that can be turned off. That's my point - the defaults of the app pull in a very specific direction. Of course they can be tailored differently, but the realization of what can be happening at all is often most of the battle. There are plenty of people who don't go messing around in their settings for one reason or another. Or aren't aware of how to adjust it at all, or indeed, that it even can be. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If you choose who you follow and order your timeline to be chronological you aren’t exposed to the algorithm essentially. I get the tweets from the people I follow in order. The only time I’m exposed to other tweets is if someone I follow chooses to retweet a tweet or I use the search function.

Just now, Thorny said:

This is definitely something that happens. Here, i'll attach a screenshot. Won't be hard to find.

I'm sure it's a feature that can be turned off. That's my point - the defaults of the app pull in a very specific direction. Of course they can be tailored differently, but the realization of what can be happening at all is often most of the battle. There are plenty of people who don't go messing around in their settings for one reason or another. Or aren't aware of how to adjust it at all, or indeed, that it even can be. 

Once you hit the button in the top right and say you don’t want to see tweets like that enough times they’ll stop showing up or become very rare.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Once you hit the button in the top right and say you don’t want to see tweets like that enough times they’ll stop showing up or become very rare.

I know this. I'm not saying it can't be tailored. My point is that it has to be tailored, and tailored quite a bit. And you guys are narrowing it down to the timeline too much. Plenty of people use the search feature, top stories, etc etc etc. It's not just a timeline

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I imagine if you don’t follow anyone and you let Twitter randomly fill your feed then maybe this happens to a brand new user. But once you start following people that’s all you see - their tweets. If I am in an echo chamber it’s because I deliberately chose those people to form the chamber. Twitter has no say or sway in who is a member of my echo chamber.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I know this. I'm not saying it can't be tailored. My point is that it has to be tailored, and tailored quite a bit. And you guys are narrowing it down to the timeline too much. Plenty of people use the search feature, top stories, etc etc etc. It's not just a timeline

If you go into trending topics etc. yes this is true. I don’t think that’s how most people use Twitter though.

222174999_img_1484(1).thumb.jpg.0c5f063705d85f6398831a025be3e911.jpg

Here's an example of something that comes up in the feed unprompted. I'm sure I liked a tweet about a movie, so the thread, even though I don't follow Harley Quinn or care about Suicide Squad, showed me this tweet, from an account I don't follow. 

Obviously this is a rather innocuous example, but it's just to illustrate that it's not just adds 

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

222174999_img_1484(1).thumb.jpg.0c5f063705d85f6398831a025be3e911.jpg

Here's an example of something that comes up in the feed unprompted. I'm sure I liked a tweet about a movie, so the thread, even though I don't follow Harley Quinn or care about Suicide Squad, showed me this tweet, from an account I don't follow. 

Obviously this is a rather innocuous example, but it's just to illustrate that it's not just adds 

I have never had anything like that show up in my feed. I use the iOS official Twitter app. Anything that is not in my feed is tagged as “promoted“ at the bottom of the tweet. Other than those tweets the only way for me to see some thing from someone that I do not follow is if I go to the search page.

Which I should say lol because the first thing it shows is a basketball tweet and other than 538, there’s not a single thing I follow in this account that is basketball related.

DCBD8722-DCFF-4C52-85F7-3E832C2DFA08.png

• Haha (+1) 1

That was a pretty contrived and manipulative piece with a voiceover clip, noticeably spliced out of a larger context, cut off before he finished his sentence, and probably the result of a leading question.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That was a pretty contrived and manipulative piece with a voiceover clip, noticeably spliced out of a larger context, cut off before he finished his sentence, and probably the result of a leading question.

Indeed it was.

42 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Definitely, but Jack knows that things are tense right now between himself and the Sabres.  If he cared to, I think he could be extra continuous about what he said right now.  It’s a local news puff piece, I doubt they were grilling him with gotcha questions.

I mean, he is the Captain of another team (for now, maybe not later).

By itself, on a normal team in a normal offseason, it’s probably nothing.  In this case it’s just another piece of evidence that he is done with the Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Put together the right package and Kev can make your dreams come true.

There is no chance that he's ending up in Boston.  Unless they rip their team down the middle.  McAvoy, Swayman, Lauko, 4 firsts?  There is no chance we're trading him to the Bruins.