Seattle Expansion Protection List

sweetlou

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Squander is a strange word to use. Every team is losing (squandering?) someone.

Well, I think “squandering” works if you think there was a better way of handling the situation that would’ve resulted in a better outcome.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I think “squandering” works if you think there was a better way of handling the situation that would’ve resulted in a better outcome.  

The Sabres can come out of this in a better spot asset-wise than losing Borgen, and so they should. Simple as

35 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

KA asleep at the wheel.

No goalie protected?

Asleep... or just restin' his eyes.

We could still protect Ullmark to prevent Seattle signing him during their exclusive FA window, then we can continue negotiating with him once the freeze lifts. Of course, there could be a handshake/knowledge between Seattle and Buffalo that they're signing Ullmark. In which case, protect Toker, who cares?

But if I'm Seattle, I take Borgen, then sign Ullmark in regular UFA (despite possible competing bids) so I double-dip. Only being able to offer 7 years vs. Buffalo's 8 years is negligible. If I'm a GM, I'm not signing Ullmark to anything longer than 5 years anyway, given his [injury] history.

Edited by DarthEbriate

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Asleep... or just restin' his eyes.

We could still protect Ullmark to prevent Seattle signing him during their exclusive FA window, then we can continue negotiating with him once the freeze lifts. Of course, there could be a handshake/knowledge between Seattle and Buffalo that they're signing Ullmark. In which case, protect Toker, who cares?

But if I'm Seattle, I take Borgen, then sign Ullmark in regular UFA (despite possible competing bids) so I double-dip. Only being able to offer 7 years vs. Buffalo's 8 years is negligible. If I'm a GM, I'm not signing Ullmark to anything longer than 5 years anyway, given his history.

What "history"?   Injuries?

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

What "history"?   Injuries?

Ah, yes. I'll edit to add.   I like Ullmark a bunch, but this non-contact knee injuries scare the stuffing circuits out of me. In this day and age, unless the goalie is a Price, Roy, Brodeur, Hasek -- someone who has dragged and carried a team to a conference Final or further... no need to go to 7 or 8 years. Markstrom only got 6 last season, and it's unlikely any of the good-but-not-great goalies this 2021 UFA season get full-term contracts, either.

• Like (+1) 1

• Eichel
  • Olofsson
  • Reinhart
  • Mittelstadt
  • Asplund
  • Thompson (I honestly could care less here)
  • Bjork (I honestly could care less here)
  • Dahlin
  • Jokiharju
  • Borgen
  • Houser

I'm leaving Ristolainen exposed, with the intent purpose of moving on.  I don't think Rasmus is a terrible player, but at this point, just move on.  I DO NOT want to start next season with him on the roster.  This team needs to be gutted. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

3 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:
  • Eichel
  • Olofsson
  • Reinhart
  • Mittelstadt
  • Asplund
  • Thompson (I honestly could care less here)
  • Bjork (I honestly could care less here)
  • Dahlin
  • Jokiharju
  • Borgen
  • Houser

I'm leaving Ristolainen exposed, with the intent purpose of moving on.  I don't think Rasmus is a terrible player, but at this point, just move on.  I DO NOT want to start next season with him on the roster.  This team needs to be gutted. 

That's your list, right?

Just now, thewookie1 said:

They’ll protect Ullmark and then sign him.

They will protect Risto and trade him on Thursday.

We’ll send our 4th to Seattle for them to take Miller

🤔

17 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

when do they mKe the list public?

The lists will be given across the league at 10 am tomorrow but I’m skeptical they actually get released to the public. They said last time they would and then changed at the last second. I see no reason they’d release them this time after not doing so last time.

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The lists will be given across the league at 10 am tomorrow but I’m skeptical they actually get released to the public. They said last time they would and then changed at the last second. I see no reason they’d release them this time after not doing so last time.

Not true.  They released them ahead of the draft last time.

https://www.nhl.com/news/protected-list-for-vegas-golden-knights-nhl-expansion-draft/c-289972722

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Also fair and there are probably a bunch of GMs who would come to the same conclusion in wargaming this out.

I wouldn’t fret about losing Borgen though if I knew he would end up being a Carrier-level player.  I do fret about mismanaging our way into losing a McKee-level or McCabe-level player, which I believe is a significant step up in asset quality from Carrier-level.   

Seattle put up $650 M to buy a NHL franchise. I'm sure they are realistic enough not to expect to have the opportunity to select top tier talent or emerging young talent from the expansion pool. But with the large amount they did put up they should have the opportunity to select enough quality players that would allow them to reasonably compete from the start. 

I'm not sure how good Borgen is going to be. My sense is that he can be a good third pairing defenseman who adds a level of physicality that this team is short on. But that is not to say if he is selected by Seattle our roster will be dinged much. Compared to many teams the players the Sabres will be exposing are inconsequential players who can easily replaced. And if you factor in Skinner's acceptance of removing his NMC and allowing himself to be exposed it makes it even less likely that a player the Sabres really wanted to keep will be exposed. 

Ironically, in a certain respect having a less than robust roster works in their favor. For many teams deciding who to expose in the expansion draft calls for many tough decisions. Because of the Sabres' dearth of talent the expansion draft is a relatively simple and inconsequential matter. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We will not notice at all the player we lose in the expansion draft.  The rending of garments and gnashing of teeth here is over nothing of significance to this season's performance.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We will not notice at all the player we lose in the expansion draft.  The rending of garments and gnashing of teeth here is over nothing of significance to this season's performance.

We were the worst team in the league. Nothing really matters anymore. 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We were the worst team in the league. Nothing really matters anymore. 

Sure it does.  Borgen is a top level D prospect for a struggling franchise who needs all the help it can get.

His departure will send shockwaves across the organiza.... ahhh nevemind.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

They’ll protect Ullmark and then sign him.

They will protect Risto and trade him on Thursday.

We’ll send our 4th to Seattle for them to take Miller

If this happens, Adams deserves a polite round of applause.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1