Seattle Expansion Protection List

sweetlou

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Borgen matters but not in the grand scheme

I look at Borgen as anywhere from McCabe to McKee/Warrener (all 2nd-rounders). He can skate well enough, he was starting to get more involved offensively in Rochester two seasons ago. He projects out to 3-6D, and can be the stabilizing force for a young puck-moving partner. The thing is... he's cheap now. And if we were to keep him and sign him, he'd be a) still cheap, b) getting better each season, and c) because of how he plays -- becoming a fan favorite. He'll give us 6 solid seasons, ala McCabe, before he becomes the really cagey veteran who gets $4M (like McKee or Gorges or Rivet) and then we have to let him go or trade him for a 2nd if we're missing the playoffs that season. If we lose The Concept of Borgen, we either get another Matt Irwin on the cheap, or we have to pay $4M for that grizzled vet that Borgen should become -- and still likely is on the 3rd pairing. At least, that's all my Concept of Borgen. We drafted and developed him... let's reap some of the benefits.

Let he and Samuelsson become the next McKee/Warrener or McCabe/Risto (except better, because the team is hopefully better).

All this novelization... and I'm still thinking we sweeten Seattle with a 5th-6th pick to take Miller who can be a PP2nd. JBot liked Miller a lot at one point and likely still does; Borgen was a GMTMer.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s not a bad point.  Sometimes we don’t think about stuff like this, but GMs probably do.

Would Ron Francis like Borgen?  Maybe.  Would he feel confident that he will want Borgen in the NHL for the entire season?  Maybe not.

Edited by Curt

9 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I look at Borgen as anywhere from McCabe to McKee/Warrener (all 2nd-rounders). He can skate well enough, he was starting to get more involved offensively in Rochester two seasons ago. He projects out to 3-6D, and can be the stabilizing force for a young puck-moving partner. The thing is... he's cheap now. And if we were to keep him and sign him, he'd be a) still cheap, b) getting better each season, and c) because of how he plays -- becoming a fan favorite. He'll give us 6 solid seasons, ala McCabe, before he becomes the really cagey veteran who gets $4M (like McKee or Gorges or Rivet) and then we have to let him go or trade him for a 2nd if we're missing the playoffs that season. If we lose The Concept of Borgen, we either get another Matt Irwin on the cheap, or we have to pay $4M for that grizzled vet that Borgen should become -- and still likely is on the 3rd pairing. At least, that's all my Concept of Borgen. We drafted and developed him... let's reap some of the benefits.

Let he and Samuelsson become the next McKee/Warrener or McCabe/Risto (except better, because the team is hopefully better).

All this novelization... and I'm still thinking we sweeten Seattle with a 5th-6th pick to take Miller who can be a PP2nd. JBot liked Miller a lot at one point and likely still does; Borgen was a GMTMer.

I think Borgen’s range is much more likely between Mike Weber and McCabe than it is McCabe and McKee.  And I don’t think a Weber ceiling is a given at this point.

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Very interesting point.

(Technically, the Q is whether he'd be top 8 or not, but the point stands nonetheless.)  Maybe Miller really is Seattle's play regardless of whether Francis coerces a sweetener or not.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’m holding judgment of the Sabres FO until the pick is announced, particularly if Risto and Zemgus are protected, especially if a deal was made with Seattle to take a specific player 

But I want to be upset today!

• Thanks (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’m holding judgment of the Sabres FO until the pick is announced, particularly if Risto and Zemgus are protected, especially if a deal was made with Seattle to take a specific player 

Are you hearing Girgensons might be protected?

Why, Santy Claus, WHY? 

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I very much doubt that Zemgus would be protected. It's more likely that Risto will be protected with the expectation that he will be soon traded. 

I'm not putting much stock in judging this front office based on their expansion list. As far as I'm concerned it is an inconsequential issue for this organization. On the other hand the issue I will be closely following is the return on our traded players. That's where judging the FO's performance is my focus of attention.  

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I think Borgen’s range is much more likely between Mike Weber and McCabe than it is McCabe and McKee.  And I don’t think a Weber ceiling is a given at this point.

If Seattle takes Borgen, I hope he does well out here in Seattle in the mold of Weber, but we Sabres folks have a top-flight d-corp anyway. If we keep him, the I hope he's a McKee complete with timely playoff goals in a Sabres uni. (Still hoping it's Miller and a 6th so the Kraken can fill out their prospects list with some JBot-special puck-moving d-man from Sweden.)

• Like (+1) 1