Seattle Expansion Protection List

sweetlou

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I will be very surprised if Risto is exposed.  

The thought of a world where Will Borgen is one of our 3 most important defenceman is something I’d rather not have to think about.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, dudacek said:

The thought of a world where Will Borgen is one of our 3 most important defenceman is something I’d rather not have to think about.

He has not played enough games to be valued at where many seem to value him. I like him but in my opinion don't understand some wanting to expose Risto and protect Borgen.

• Like (+1) 2

It's great to see the Sabres moving to put themselves in the best possible position for the expansion draft.  We're the worst team in the league.  We shouldn't care who Seattle selects of our leftovers.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Borgen has promise and is young, cheap, and tough.  We know what we have in Risto, time to give the poor guy a chance somewhere else.

9 minutes ago, Radar said:

He has not played enough games to be valued at where many seem to value him. I like him but in my opinion don't understand some wanting to expose Risto and protect Borgen.

Because Risto sucks and I know he sucks so I want him gone. He isn't going to be here after this next season regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Because Risto sucks and I know he sucks so I want him gone. He isn't going to be here after this next season regardless. 

I disagree on the degree of your disdain fot Risto. Do I think he's a #1 or #2 defenseman? No not on a good team. Still he is not as bad as you think in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Radar said:

I disagree on the degree of your disdain fot Risto. Do I think he's a #1 or #2 defenseman? No not on a good team. Still he is not as bad as you think in my opinion. 

He is a net negative defender who gets lost in his own end and blows coverage. Under pressure he has a tendency to rim the puck out or dump it in. His problem solving skills are below average and he only has 1 year left before he become a UFA. No reason to keep him around. 

He is a net negative defender who gets lost in his own end and blows coverage. Under pressure he has a tendency to rim the puck out or dump it in. His problem solving skills are below average and he only has 1 year left before he become a UFA. No reason to keep him around. 

I believe he's a tradeable asset. I am not concerned with his becoming a UFA a year from now.

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Who are you worried about losing if we protect Risto and trade him at the deadline in-season when he's likely worth more.

literally anyone else. Risto is gone, he isn't re-signing here and unless major changes occur the playoffs are outside our reach this season. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Who are you worried about losing if we protect Risto and trade him at the deadline in-season when he's likely worth more.

For @inkman

If I'm Seattle, based on the other crap that will be available from the Sabres, I'm taking Borgen all day, everyday if he's available.  He at least has spirit and fight.  Something this team sorely lacks and could use more of.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

literally anyone else. Risto is gone, he isn't re-signing here and unless major changes occur the playoffs are outside our reach this season. 

If Risto’s value around the league is a 3rd rounder or lower this makes sense.

If it is higher, it does not.

Just because he’s of no value to you, doesn’t necessarily mean he’s of no value.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

You can't waste a protection slot on risto. One year of what Risto brings before leaving has no value. Borgen and Jokiharju are more valuable to the organization than a 1 and done risto the year after we trade eichel and Reinhart, when risto very clearly doesn't care if he stays or goes, just because they are under team control and haven't hit ceilings yet. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Just because he’s of no value to you, doesn’t necessarily mean he’s of no value.

If Risto's return is more valuable then Borgen, and the team refuses to make the trade today instead of in 1 week, I guess it doesn't matter. Only Adams knows that

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It isn't just a 3rd rounder... it could be a 3rd rounder AND Borgen. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

With Dumba off the board, Risto is definitely one of the better purely-RHD that could be available in expansion (Tanev, Rutta/Cernak/Foote). We know Seattle is planning to be analytics-driven and JBot was never able to trade Risto at a value JBot thought worthy. I can them easily taking him as a top-4 rental for a season and moving Ristolainen at the deadline  (for a 2nd).

For this season, I'd rather see Jokiharju-Risto-Borgen down the right side than Joker-Borgen-Miller. We need to sign a top-4 UFA RHD for the latter scenario.

I still offer Seattle a 6th + Miller. a 6th + Pilut's rights, or a 5th + Eakin. And I'd really lean into protecting Borgen over Risto if we're gung-ho on a future-driven team of players who want to be here. If the plan is to trade Eichel and possibly Reinhart, then let's move Ristolainen now, too. Purge the remnants of the tank taint and start clean.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't just a 3rd rounder... it could be a 3rd rounder AND Borgen. 

And the reverse is true; it’s not just a 3rd rounder, it’s a 3rd rounder AND Risto.

The Sabres are losing a player, they can’t avoid it. 

i doubt any GM in the league would cough up a 2nd for Borgen. I would not be surprised if a few would for Risto. Therefore, I believe Risto has more value around the league and would protect him.

If you’d reject a 2nd for Borgen, then by all means protect him instead.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

And the reverse is true; it’s not just a 3rd rounder, it’s a 3rd rounder AND Risto.

The Sabres are losing a player, they can’t avoid it. 

i doubt any GM in the league would cough up a 2nd for Borgen. I would not be surprised if a few would for Risto. Therefore, I believe Risto has more value around the league and would protect him.

If you reject a 2nd for Borgen, then by all means protect him instead.

But Risto holds 0 value for Buffalo  in 365 days. 

What are the odds of that 2nd round pick being Borgen? How long will that take? 

But Risto holds 0 value for Buffalo  in 365 days. 

What are the odds of that 2nd round pick being Borgen? How long will that take? 

Risto is value in 365 days is irrelevant. That chip will be cashed long before then.

Odds of that 2nd round pick having 8 NHL games under his belt by the time he’s 24? Gotta be at least 50%, no?

These conversations are pointless because the underlying theme is the pro-Borgen camp sees him as McCabe and Risto as Meszaros, whereas the pro-Risto camp sees Borgen as Mike Weber and Risto as Tyler Myers.

• Like (+1) 1

But Risto LIKELY holds 0 value for Buffalo  in 365 days. 

FTFY.  😉

Just because we expect today that there is no way Ristolainen re-signs, that isn't an absolute given.  Several players, most notably Stamkos, expressed interest in testing the waters but ultimately stayed put.

Also, several here has speculated, and it is likely reasonable, that Ristolainen's trade value will likely remain relatively constant until the trade deadline so he has value in exchange until then.  It also is likely that his trade value is greater than that of Borgen &/or Adams has a gentleman's agreement in place with Francis to get Ron to take the Sabre of Adams choosing for an additional prospect or pick and the quandary of choosing Risto or Will isn't really applicable as they may both defacto be protected.

And Ristolainen has a value on the ice this season which the Sabres currently holds the rights to.  If Adams sees more value in that than he sees in Borgen, he'll keep Risto.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Risto is value in 365 days is irrelevant. That chip will be cashed long before then.

Odds of that 2nd round pick having 8 NHL games under his belt by the time he’s 24? Gotta be at least 50%, no?

These conversations are pointless because the underlying theme is the pro-Borgen camp sees him as McCabe and Risto as Meszaros, whereas the pro-Risto camp sees Borgen as Mike Weber and Risto as Tyler Myers.

It’s actually more like 35%

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If Risto is Tyler Myers then he's a good deal

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Borgen as Mike Weber is more valuable than Risto. 

Idc what ppl think of either, but Risto will not be on this team after July 1st 2022. Why protect him? I think you should trade him.