Seattle Expansion Protection List

sweetlou

On 6/6/2021 at 2:28 PM, dudacek said:

The Kraken have to draft about $50 million in cap space, and they will be spending close the cap when all is said and done. They will be taking on some big contracts

I'm not sure why you say that. If I'm the Kraken I'm taking the youngest players I can get my hands on in the expansion draft (assuming they are decent or have upside) and then using free agency to get up to my minimum cap numbers.

I'd also take an extra goalie and trade one later to some team (like us possibly) that gets desperate for a goalie before the season. Valuable commodity. I see no reason why they have to grab any high priced veterans. 

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure why you say that. If I'm the Kraken I'm taking the youngest players I can get my hands on in the expansion draft (assuming they are decent or have upside) and then using free agency to get up to my minimum cap numbers.

I'd also take an extra goalie and trade one later to some team (like us possibly) that gets desperate for a goalie before the season. Valuable commodity. I see no reason why they have to grab any high priced veterans. 

It’s a rule. Seattle can’t just load up on cheap young guys. It has to take on about $50 million in contracts during the expansion draft -minimum 60% of the cap.

They are expected to snag a few pricey vets with one year left on their deal, with the idea they can flip them for picks as rentals at the deadline.

• Thanks (+1) 3

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s a rule. Seattle can’t just load up on cheap young guys. It has to take on about $50 million in contracts during the expansion draft -minimum 60% of the cap.

They are expected to snag a few pricey vets with one year left on their deal, with the idea they can flip them for picks as rentals at the deadline.

Wow. Didn't know that was a rule. Guess they will then.

Take Kyle take Kyle..............

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wow. Didn't know that was a rule. Guess they will then.

Take Kyle take Kyle..............

While they do have to get to $50M as a rule... it's also incredibly easy to do without taking any bad contracts. The only bad contracts Seattle is taking are because they are receiving incentives to take them. They'll gladly take a shoddy contract for a couple seasons... but after Marleau's cap hit was moved for a 1st, that's what they'll expect.

Okposo is staying in Buffalo. We let him play this season -- when healthy, he's still fine. Not worth the contract, but a viable NHLer. Then, buy him out next summer.

Seattle isn't taking Eakin, Girgensons, or Miller without a sweetener from us going their way.

They'll take any of the Asplund/Tage/Bjork or Borgen from us and get their meatier contracts from another squad.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The cap floor applies. It's why I'd expose Risto if he's my traded.

This would be such a blunder for this team. Risto is a tradeable asset. He's an NHL player and not a bad one either. He is a bad player in the situation he has been put in but I firmly believe he can be a good second-pairing defensemen on a team that doesn't ask him to do everything. Losing him for literally nothing would be very Sabres.

This isn't me necessarily disagreeing with you, either. I'm just saying it absolutely can not get to that point. If you're really on the verge of exposing Risto trade him for the best draft pick you can get and protect Borgen.

Edited by Hoss

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The article said and so does capfriendly that Alex Nylander is exempt.  How is this possible.  Is there some special injury rule?  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The article said and so does capfriendly that Alex Nylander is exempt.  How is this possible.  Is there some special injury rule?  

Yes, the report is that he'll be exempt because he missed the entire season due to injury and is therefore considered a second year player.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Jeff, the forwards we would like to protect are all set.  Now protect Borgen, and expose Ristolainen on defense, and let Seattle take whoever they want off of our worst team in the league roster.

7 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Thanks to Jeff, the forwards we would like to protect are all set.  Now protect Borgen, and expose Ristolainen on defense, and let Seattle take whoever they want off of our worst team in the league roster.

I wouldn't expose Risto. After watching Rakish's vid, he's convinced me to place a little more impetus on how Risto is being valued by others, even if the statistics give an unflattering picture. He's still the "guy who doesn't want to be here" to a T, so Adams by his logic needs to move him, but the coaches view and have viewed him as the guy deserving of the most minutes, so chances/hopes are there is another team out there who will part with the asset(s) necessary to facilitate a reasonable trade. Something more valuable than Borgen or  Bjork or whoever the player we'll lose will be. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I wouldn't expose Risto. After watching Rakish's vid, he's convinced me to place a little more impetus on how Risto is being valued by others, even if the statistics give an unflattering picture. He's still the "guy who doesn't want to be here" to a T, so Adams by his logic needs to move him, but the coaches view and have viewed him as the guy deserving of the most minutes, so chances/hopes are there is another team out there who will part with the asset(s) necessary to facilitate a reasonable trade. Something more valuable than Borgen or  Bjork or whoever the player we'll lose will be. 

I don't see any reason to expose Risto. A lot of us don't like him, but given his contract situation he still has value. If he leaves it shouldn't be for nothing.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I don't see any reason to expose Risto. A lot of us don't like him, but given his contract situation he still has value. If he leaves it shouldn't be for nothing.

Then set a deadline of the 17th and trade him by then. Makes no sense to protect him to then trade him this summer. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Then set a deadline of the 17th and trade him by then. Makes no sense to protect him to then trade him this summer. 

I believe it's been reported/rumored that they've been trying to trade him for years, but the return just isn't worth moving him.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

They could have had Ehlers several years ago. 

Possibly. At the time they still thought Ristolianen was good, right or wrong as that might have been. Right now though it doesn't look like he's worth anything.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure it does. Don’t think of it as protecting Risto, think of it as protecting the trade return.

Acquiring Risto now is harder for teams because for most it creates protection problems. Demand increases after the ED.

Only a handful of teams (New Jersey is one) can afford to add a defenceman right now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Unless you know who Seattle is going to take and it doesn't matter if you protect him right now.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Possibly. At the time they still thought Ristolianen was good, right or wrong as that might have been. Right now though it doesn't look like he's worth anything.

I think Risto is still worth more to other NHL GMs than us fans think. The old boys club still likes players like Risto a lot.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

People have been saying that for years too.

I disagree, but I also think it’s one of the more fascinating stories out there that might finally be answered: what is Risto actually worth on an NHL open market?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sure it does. Don’t think of it as protecting Risto, think of it as protecting the trade return.

Acquiring Risto now is harder for teams because for most it creates protection problems. Demand increases after the ED.

Only a handful of teams (New Jersey is one) can afford to add a defenceman right now.

I'd trade risto for a 2nd round pick at this stage. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

The probability of a 2nd round pick becoming an NHL player of Risto's capacity, especially in this draft, is what? 15%?

Not sure, but Adams moves him if he's not full of it

Funny side effect of the Skinner decision.  It's all about Risto now.  I'd be ok if Seattle took him, just for the cap space.  There's going to be opportunities to pick up some good players for not a whole lot this offseason, if you have the cap space to do so.

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The probability of a 2nd round pick becoming an NHL player of Risto's capacity, especially in this draft, is what? 15%?

I honestly do not care anymore. Risto is a negative on the ice. He won't be re-signed. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I will be very surprised if Risto is exposed.  

I was shocked that Skinner waived.  A tiny, tiny glimmer of hope that this ship can be righted.  The expansion list is going to be very interesting to see.