What we all knew confirmed. NHL Refs give make up calls(UPDATE: Ref now fired from NHL)

matter2003

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Caught on the hot mic discussing how he wanted to give a makeup call...NHL is investigating...but only because he was caught and they need to pretend they don't condone this sort of thing...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/referee-caught-hot-mic-wanting-050657039.html

Yup, happens at every level, just got caught and recorded this time. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, inkman said:

I didn’t need any of this to know it’s a thing. I have 30 years of hockey viewing that already told me that.  Non-story in my eyes.  In typical NHL fashion, their cover up will be way worse than the offense.  

I think this is probably an all sports thing.  Umps with balls and strikes... Football and random procedural penalties or holding... i feel like everythings a foul in basketball.

• Like (+1) 2

its even more then that. It also goes to the "Favoritism/Bias" calls that are out there

Scenario:  50/50 call for an official (Not an obvious call)

1) If you are not a good team (or a popular team) like the Sabres.  The call will go against you. We all know the Leafs, Rangers, & Canadiens are getting the benefit of the doubt but the Sabres or Senators are not. 

2) Sydney Crosby gets caught up in the turbulence from someone skating past him and falls down.....You are getting a penalty, Does San Reinhart get that call?

There are many other examples to illustrate but the point is that it is a game officiated by humans who have opinions and biases.....good luck with changing that

• Like (+1) 1

There is an extreme opposite narrative about refs that is presented by the guy who runs this FB page https://www.facebook.com/youreoffside .  He basically takes the stance there is a culture of ref abuse - which there most certainly is - but refs NEVER intentionally miss or make up a call.  He originally played it off as satirical, but it has given protection to a movement of activist refs as he has taken his show on the road and started to give TV interviews over the last year or two.  He hasn't addressed this specific story yet, but I'm curious to see what stance he takes because it is often echoed throughout the officiating ranks. 

Not sure if everyone was aware of this movement so I thought I'd mention it.

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

I would never say that no ref has made up a call.  However, with anything that is subjective there are moments where you can let things pass or you can call them.

I think most refs intend to do the right thing.  They may make a call that upon further review they realize might not have been the call that should have been made. They don't have the option of reversing the call at that point.  They move forward and in their head they think, I'll even it out by calling something else that is probably a penalty that I might not have called.

I don't think this is unique to officiating either.  Officials are human and if they have a sense of fair play to them then they are likely going to want to balance things out as any person would.  Similarly, if someone is irritating them they are likely going to be biased, either consciously or unconsciously towards that person.  This happens everywhere.

I can only imagine how society would operate if everyone was on a hot mic and didn't know it.  Right now I am sure there are people reading this saying some wonderfully colorful things about me. 🙂

Make-up calls aren't the problem per say, if a ref screws up on a call it is only natural for them to try and return to an equilibrium of sorts with a call against the other team so each team has a PP.

The thing was with this hot mic situation, you don't hear about if he's making this call to make up for something but rather it sounds like he's trying to manipulate the game's flow as a whole. The quote: “It wasn't much, but I wanted to get a penalty against Nashville early in the,” sounds far more like he wants to punish the Preds for some unknown reason than as a make-up sort of call. Maybe it was a make-up call, but from the snippit we heard it sounds damning and thus the hasty firing.

Just wanted to add, that make-up calls don't bother me. What does bother me however are game management or game flow adjustment calls. For instance when Team A takes multiple legit penalties and are playing dirty thus have 4 PKs to lets say 0 PKs for Team B; the refs begin calling weak calls on Team B to help de-skew the appearance of the game. Likewise if one suspects the refs are making a call to stir up a game; for instance, Team A jumps up to a quick 3-0 lead so the refs give Team B a PP to attempt and start a comeback.

Edited by thewookie1

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Anyone think the language had any part of it? 50/50? 🤔 

Think the firing was a way to try and stave off the pitchforks and torches at the NHLs door from all the fairweather and less knowledgeable fans. 

"Make up" calls happen and have happened for a long time, from the NHL to beer league. While not a surprise to most of us, it was probably fact that it was so well documented that lead to the firing. 

Nothing shocks me any more after last year, I was just amused that it was actually caught by the mic and was heard. 

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And the victory lap.

Have you ever complained about a "makeup call"?

So. I didn't read anywhere where this was a makeup call. It read like he wanted to set a tone for the game, which I think is fire worthy. Just call what you see.

Makeup calls happen all the time and I actually like them. It shows fairness.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Just wanted to add, that make-up calls don't bother me. What does bother me however are game management or game flow adjustment calls. For instance when Team A takes multiple legit penalties and are playing dirty thus have 4 PKs to lets say 0 PKs for Team B; the refs begin calling weak calls on Team B to help de-skew the appearance of the game. Likewise if one suspects the refs are making a call to stir up a game; for instance, Team A jumps up to a quick 3-0 lead so the refs give Team B a PP to attempt and start a comeback.

I just had a PTSD flashback to the 1975 Stanley Cup Finals.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Make-up calls aren't the problem per say, if a ref screws up on a call it is only natural for them to try and return to an equilibrium of sorts with a call against the other team so each team has a PP.

The thing was with this hot mic situation, you don't hear about if he's making this call to make up for something but rather it sounds like he's trying to manipulate the game's flow as a whole. The quote: “It wasn't much, but I wanted to get a penalty against Nashville early in the,” sounds far more like he wants to punish the Preds for some unknown reason than as a make-up sort of call. Maybe it was a make-up call, but from the snippit we heard it sounds damning and thus the hasty firing.

Amen.

• matter2003 changed the title to What we all knew confirmed. NHL Refs give make up calls(UPDATE: Ref now fired from NHL)
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.