What we all knew confirmed. NHL Refs give make up calls(UPDATE: Ref now fired from NHL)

matter2003

50 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Not a fan of dumping the ref a month before retirement so the league can save face. He got caught, but they all do it, and you know what? I'm  not sure it's always a bad thing to have a ref MANAGE the game.

But what was the outcome of the league's "investigation" other than giving Peel an early retirement? Did they address the the notion of makeup calls? Did they state a policy on how games should be officiated?

• Like (+1) 1

So, I just realized this was in the second and he wanted to make a makeup call. It’s BS he was canned.

So a ref realized he gave an unfair to one team and decided to even things up. I have no problem with that.

Once again, the NHL has decided that it doesn’t condone fair play.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

So, I just realized this was in the second and he wanted to make a makeup call. It’s BS he was canned.

So a ref realized he gave an unfair to one team and decided to even things up. I have no problem with that.

Once again, the NHL has decided that it doesn’t condone fair play.

2 wrongs make a right?

I don't think this should really shock anyone that refs would make calls like this. To be honest, I really wouldn't be shocked at all to find out all sports are just like Pro wrestling with pre-determined outcomes. Its a business and its all about the $$$$$

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

2 wrongs make a right?

I don't think this should really shock anyone that refs would make calls like this. To be honest, I really wouldn't be shocked at all to find out all sports are just like Pro wrestling with pre-determined outcomes. Its a business and its all about the $$$$$

There have been a number of big time major league sports officiating scandals around the world...just none in N. America.

18 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Make-up calls aren't the problem per say, if a ref screws up on a call it is only natural for them to try and return to an equilibrium of sorts with a call against the other team so each team has a PP.

The thing was with this hot mic situation, you don't hear about if he's making this call to make up for something but rather it sounds like he's trying to manipulate the game's flow as a whole. The quote: “It wasn't much, but I wanted to get a penalty against Nashville early in the,” sounds far more like he wants to punish the Preds for some unknown reason than as a make-up sort of call. Maybe it was a make-up call, but from the snippit we heard it sounds damning and thus the hasty firing.

Just wanted to add, that make-up calls don't bother me. What does bother me however are game management or game flow adjustment calls. For instance when Team A takes multiple legit penalties and are playing dirty thus have 4 PKs to lets say 0 PKs for Team B; the refs begin calling weak calls on Team B to help de-skew the appearance of the game. Likewise if one suspects the refs are making a call to stir up a game; for instance, Team A jumps up to a quick 3-0 lead so the refs give Team B a PP to attempt and start a comeback.

I wish the NBA refs would do more of it.  I don’t like when Team A  has 25 to 30 fouls called on them, resulting in like 30 to 40 free throws for Team B,  while Team B has only about 12 fouls called on them, resulting in only 10 free throws for Team A.  

2 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

I wish the NBA refs would do more of it.  I don’t like when Team A  has 25 to 30 fouls called on them, resulting in like 30 to 40 free throws for Team B,  while Team B has only about 12 fouls called on them, resulting in only 10 free throws for Team A.  

Team A drives the NBA's ratings. Scott Foster and Joey Crawford know their job and that job is to get the Lakers to the finals. They've taken up Dick Bavetta's mantle.

Of course there was that one time the Heat won the 06 title by taking a thousand more foul shots than the Mavericks after the Mavs took a 2-0 series lead.

35 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Team A drives the NBA's ratings. Scott Foster and Joey Crawford know their job and that job is to get the Lakers to the finals. They've taken up Dick Bavetta's mantle.

Of course there was that one time the Heat won the 06 title by taking a thousand more foul shots than the Mavericks after the Mavs took a 2-0 series lead.

Actually, nothing compares to the 2002 Western Conference Finals Game 6 between the Sacramento Kings and the Lakers. The Kings led the series 3-2.  The Lakers shot 27 free throws in the 4th Qtr.  One of the most blatant foul calls was when Kobe Bryant raised his arms with the ball and elbowed Mike Bobby in the face and they called the foul on Bibby.  That was a disgrace.  Of course, many said the Kings could’ve still won Game 7 at home but they didn’t.

1 hour ago, gilbert11 said:

Actually, nothing compares to the 2002 Western Conference Finals Game 6 between the Sacramento Kings and the Lakers. The Kings led the series 3-2.  The Lakers shot 27 free throws in the 4th Qtr.  One of the most blatant foul calls was when Kobe Bryant raised his arms with the ball and elbowed Mike Bobby in the face and they called the foul on Bibby.  That was a disgrace.  Of course, many said the Kings could’ve still won Game 7 at home but they didn’t.

He bloodied Bibby's face. And that was Dick Bavetta. Because who wants the Kings in the finals when you can have the Lakers?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.