Friday 3/5: Adams to Speak to Media at 4:30

Brawndo

I think this was rather well done honestly. Adams is about as close to fan GM as you can get seeing as he’s from Buffalo and was a Sabres fan both before and after his NHL career. He did a good job balancing on the tightrope between the fans and the internal staff’s being angered. 

To a degree I think this was also Adams telling the players that if they like Krueger and want to keep him around; they need to win these games coming up or else.

The only thing I disagreed with is that our goaltending was fine but I do agree we aren’t terrible due to goaltending. We’ve lost maybe two games due to goaltending versus at least six due to an inability to score.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Good point made on WGR that ties to Adams remark about balancing long- and short-term value.

Maybe he knows who he wants to be his next coach and maybe that guy isn't available right now, but might become that way.

(And maybe I'm just really curious about Rod Brind'Amour.)

John Tortorella?

Just now, thewookie1 said:

To a degree I think this was also Adams telling the players that if they like Krueger and want to keep him around; they need to win these games coming up or else.

Very good point, I think.  This press conference may have been about sending a message to the team.  If you feel comfortable, don't.  Changes will be made if changes on the ice do not occur.

If the rumors are true that Terry is looking for some senior management ( I think Pres of Hockey title) then this was a stop gap move to buy time. Their next coach may be a short term hire, one of the assistants is my guess. The new (to be determined hockey czar) and Adams will then pick the real coach this summer. 

• Like (+1) 2

I can't get the thought out of my head that he almost did something drastic in a fit of pique, but talked himself back from it.  When talking about the team, it was not GM speak, it was more player speak and fan attitude.  When he talked about the job he has to do, it was GM speak with player attitude.

IMHO, that implies that RK is done for and KA has started his head coaching search and is debating whether he should bring in an interim coach for the rest of the season.  IMHO, he should do that now and clear the decks.

Jack is clearly at the end of his rope.  IMHO, benching Skinner did it.  KA clearly disagreed with Skinner's benching -- but that now means Eichel probably needs cajoling to stay beyond this season.

He is very upset that the players don't play like he does.  Honestly, he sounded like he was pointing a finger at Staal and Hall, who should know better.  Why aren't they able to help Jack -- particularly Staal, who was the Captain of a Cup winner.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Great point and something people saying "why not today?" need to consider.

It speaks to the long game.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Great point and something people saying "why not today?" need to consider.

It speaks to the long game.

Correct, effectively you are telling Jack and the others who really love Krueger that this isn't any sort of betrayal or blindsided firing. Hell he's giving the players the keys and telling them to go pick Ralph up. 

30 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I can't get the thought out of my head that he almost did something drastic in a fit of pique, but talked himself back from it.  When talking about the team, it was not GM speak, it was more player speak and fan attitude.  When he talked about the job he has to do, it was GM speak with player attitude.

I definitely heard this scenario when he mentioning needing to be even-keeled as a GM and not making rash decisions or trades.

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Good point made on WGR that ties to Adams remark about balancing long- and short-term value.

Maybe he knows who he wants to be his next coach and maybe that guy isn't available right now, but might become that way.

(And maybe I'm just really curious about Rod Brind'Amour.)

Would you say you’re B’A-curious?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dear KA

Why is RK still the coach?

Why haven't you upgraded the goaltending

Why haven't you found D help?

Why aren't underperforming players like Eakin, KO, Miller etc benched?

Why have you done nothing to help this team in season so far?

Why weren't any of these direct questions asked?

Dear KA

”Good afternoon GA.”

”I’m still evaluating.”

Why haven't you upgraded the goaltending?

”I’m still evaluating. BTW Linus was elite before his injury.”

”I’m still evaluating.”

”All systems work if the players play them.”

”I’m still evaluating.”

”It’s great that you asked. It’s not acceptable, we have to be better, we have to be grittier.”

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

IMHO, that implies that RK is done for and KA has started his head coaching search and is debating whether he should bring in an interim coach for the rest of the season.  IMHO, he should do that now and clear the decks.

Jack is clearly at the end of his rope.  IMHO, benching Skinner did it.  KA clearly disagreed with Skinner's benching -- but that now means Eichel probably needs cajoling to stay beyond this season.

He is very upset that the players don't play like he does.  Honestly, he sounded like he was pointing a finger at Staal and Hall, who should know better.  Why aren't they able to help Jack -- particularly Staal, who was the Captain of a Cup winner.

I still think there is a solid chance that Pegula does not want to pay Ralph to not coach in Buffalo.

He's spent tens of millions of dollars with that sort of thing, and his actions over the last couple years suggest he is done doing it.

In the context of Adams' PC, it doesn't really make sense that Ralph is still here.  This was not a vote of confidence sort of PC.  

So why is Ralph still here? 

It's either money, or Adams feels like he needs more time to get his guy and presumably is not interested in the big 3 names out there right now. 

I agree that Ralph should have been fired today (if not sooner) with an interim solution put in place, simply as a statement to the fanbase that this is not acceptable.  

Adams repeated several times today that the situation is not acceptable, but as long as Ralph remains HC, the organization is showing us that it IS acceptable.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So! Montreal, a real team, just fired a proven Stanley Cup winning coach after 20 or so games.  Enough is enough.  How much more information does KA need to know?  As to whether my statement will age well; who knows, but this press conference should have been to reveal some actual action to fix the problems not more platitudes. 

there would be a bloodbath in Quebec if the Habs played anything near this. Stuff would be burning. 

I think Adams let Ralph know he needed to see results or he would be let go. I'm not sure if that means next week when they get home or after the season. 

If the team wants a new hockey department head or something like that, it might not be the best time to bring in a guy. The new coach would want some assurances and you can't handcuff your new dept. head with a coach he didn't hire.

This is unfortunate because it would be nice to get a guy in now and start building towards next year. 

21 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

So why is Ralph still here? 

It's either money, or Adams feels like he needs more time to get his guy and presumably is not interested in the big 3 names out there right now.

Or there is a negotiation taking place that hasn't run its course yet and a quarantine period to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Scott Arniel?

Some trivia - I remember a few years back when he was CBJ's coach.  My family and I were at a popular pizza shop one night after our boy's soccer game and Scott and 2 others were seated in an adjacent booth.  I had my Sabres cap on and as he left, he looked over, smiled and gave a nod.

• Like (+1) 1

I gave the press conference a close 2nd listen and here is my breakdown of most of the answers Adams gave, and my inferences regarding them.

First, anyone who was expecting to get dramatic answers, inside information or blatant throwing of individuals under the bus should not expect that from a GM press conference. 

My Press Conference Notes:

-He is not happy and it’s not acceptable, sounds like he is near the end of his rope with the team, pissed even.

-He has full authority to make decisions regarding players and coaches.

-Team doesn’t show enough compete or passion.

-He and coaches thought the team wasn’t too far away this offseason, so he took a short term approach.  They focused on 5-on-5 scoring, special teams, and character.

-How do you justify keeping Ralph on?  He has to look at everything both big and small picture, do what’s best for team long term.

-Eichel has not requested a trade.

-Adams doesn’t believe in a full fledged rebuild.  Sounds like he is more looking for opportunities for incremental improvement as opposed to a tear down for futures.

-Asked about how Pegulas and he value continuity within organization vs. the cycle of firings every couple years.  He says you hope for continuity, but that continuity only happens if there is success.

-On Skinner benching.  Had long honest talk with Jeff’s agent.  He didn’t say that it was a joint decision.  He said it was Ralph’s call.  Praised Jeff for positive attitude through it.

-Asked what has gone wrong, specifically.  Not enough compete, battle, not enough good scoring chances and too many against.  Goaltending has been solid.  Said Linus had been playing at a very high level, omitted mentioning Hutton.

-On Rasmus Dahlin’s struggles.  He is amazing with the puck, players will have ups and downs, have to work through it.  Brought it back to talking about having a team identity, and everyone needing to raise their level.

-Covid, injuries, adversity are not excuses for how things have gone.  No excuses.

-Culture means having a team spirit with everyone working together for the greater good, and accountability to each other.  Team isn’t there yet, they need to do more, aren’t driving each other enough internally.

-What’s wrong with Jack???  Not going to talk about what’s going on with a player day-to-day.  They will give updates when they have them.

-Is Krueger being too inflexible with his system.  A system needs everyone to really buy in.  Sees times when not all players are playing system the same way.

-How much are you looking to tweak the roster at this point?  Looking for solutions every day.  Having conversations all the time.

-Team needs to be grittier.  It’s both an issue of current roster construction and how you draft and develop long term.

-Because of Covid, he is actually around the team a lot more.  Talking with team/players all the time, building relationships with them.  Players know it hasn’t been good enough, it needs to turn into action.

-Why know goalie move?  Looking everyday.  Asking is there an upgrade over what we have?  Goaltending has been solid.  Not the reason we are where we are.  Ullmark had been great.  Again conspicuously omitted mentioning Hutton.

So, also, some things he did not say.

He did not say that Krueger has that infamous vote of confidence.  In fact it sounded like things really need to improve  in a major way (or else), and soon!

He did not say that the he is comfortable with the current goaltending situation.  Yes, he said the goaltending has been solid, but he also praised Ullmark and conspicuously avoided mentioning Hutton.  He also said that he is looking for an upgrade every day.

He did not say Jack is injured, but also didn’t say that he was healthy.  Not going to talk about it.

He did not give one single excuse for any of the teams failings.

He did not say that he had any part of the decision to bench Skinner.  To the contrary, he said that Krueger makes the decisions regarding who will play and what their roles are.

My big take away is that Krueger is on thin ice.  While Krueger has a good relationship with both players and Adams, the team is not playing together enough, or for each other enough.  That needs to change, or Krueger is out.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Missed the live presser, but just watched the replay.  I'll give KA some credit for disclosing some things I might not have expected him to.  Despite the circumstances, I still find him to be easier to watch and listen to vs. former GM JBOT.  A welcomed break vs. listening to the psycho babble from Ralph (the articulate incompetent) Krueger.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Dear KA

”Good afternoon GA.”

”I’m still evaluating.”

Why haven't you upgraded the goaltending?

”I’m still evaluating. BTW Linus was elite before his injury.”

”I’m still evaluating.”

”All systems work if the players play them.”

”I’m still evaluating.”

”It’s great that you asked. It’s not acceptable, we have to be better, we have to be grittier.”

.... and that is why it was a BS press conference.  Why hold the press conference at all if you weren't going to announce any major change.

Basically all he said was I'm pissed off to about how bad the team I fielded is and I'll let you know if I do anything about it.  Thanks for nothing KA.

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

there would be a bloodbath in Quebec if the Habs played anything near this. Stuff would be burning. 

I agree.  We should be doing the same.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

.... and that is why it was a BS press conference.  Why hold the press conference at all if you weren't going to announce any major change.

Basically all he said was I'm pissed off to about how bad the team I fielded is and I'll let you know if I do anything about it.  Thanks for nothing KA.

I agree.  We should be doing the same.

The media has been asking him to talk for a while now. He held it to answer their questions.

It was as good a press conference as you can realistically get from a GM. getting mad at random stuff he did or didn't say after the fact is a waste of time 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

The media has been asking him to talk for a while now. He held it to answer their questions.

It was as good a press conference as you can realistically get from a GM. getting mad at random stuff he did or didn't say after the fact is a waste of time 

So was the press conference.  I not mad.  It's just the same BS from this organization.  Lots of talk, little action and screw up even the few things they do.  Rinse, wash, repeat.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.