Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

4 minutes ago, LTS said:

The ESPN coverage crew.

Interesting.  I know I like Weekes and Ferraro.  I think Chelios will be insightful.  Melrose is annoying and I have this hunch that Messier will be, too.  Campbell might present a bit of a conflict of interest, but nothing we haven't seen before.

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

The ESPN coverage crew.

Levy & Buccigross are definitely hockey guys, so glad they seem to be getting lead pbp roles.  Levy's the better of the 2 but Bucci truly loves the sport, so there is that.

Wischusen seems a familiar name but can't place him.  Hopefully he's also good.

Presuming Hextall is Ron's daughter.  Hopefully she doesn't try to do the ridiculous Beth Moen "deepen her voice like the male announcers do" shtick.  That gets old quickly.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

The ESPN coverage crew.

Hope to see Thorn and Clement make at least some type of appearance

Not exactly excited about a woman play-by-play announcer; its just such a different feel.

Otherwise they look good, not sure about Melrose at this point; haven't seen him really in over a decade lol.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Levy & Buccigross are definitely hockey guys, so glad they seem to be getting lead pbp roles.  Levy's the better of the 2 but Bucci truly loves the sport, so there is that.

Presuming Hextall is Ron's daughter.  Hopefully she doesn't try to do the ridiculous Beth Moen "deepen her voice like the male announcers do" shtick.  That gets old quickly.

Wischusen does NY Jets radio. Formerly an update guy at WFAN as well. Also does college hoops.

He's solid, if unspectacular.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Levy and Buccigross are both very bad at play by play. Great hockey minds but not the voice.

That’s 8 years for RNH but I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat. By the 4th year the cap will start to exponentially rise and a $5.2 cap hit will be 3rd line money.

Its going to be interesting to see how this off season goes. Most of the better teams have little to no cap room and it’s going to be that way for two or three years. A guy like Sam is going to have to decide how much security he wants or is he willing to gamble on a short term deal with a chance to cash in down the road?

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

That’s 8 years for RNH but I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat. By the 4th year the cap will start to exponentially rise and a $5.2 cap hit will be 3rd line money.

Its going to be interesting to see how this off season goes. Most of the better teams have little to no cap room and it’s going to be that way for two or three years. A guy like Sam is going to have to decide how much security he wants or is he willing to gamble on a short term deal with a chance to cash in down the road?

The Sabres will have the ability to appeal to Sam’s pocketbook by offering him a better contract than he will likely get elsewhere.

They will have the ability to offer him a better role than he will get on any other team: 1C and likely team captain.

They will have the ability to give him a coach he knows he connects with and is valued by.

And they have a month to demonstrate they finally get it.

Its not a foregone conclusion.

I still think he’s gone.

Edited by dudacek

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres will have the ability to appeal to his pocketbook by offering him a better contract than he will likely get elsewhere.

They will have the ability to offer him a better role than he will get on any other team: 1C and likely team captain.

They will have the ability to give him a coach he knows he connects with and is valued by.

And they have a month to demonstrate they finally get it.

Its not a foregone conclusion.

I still think he’s gone.

I just get the sense that by moving some of the prime players who have been here for a while that the young GM is making a statement that this is a new era separate from the failed and stale previous era. Could the GM retain Eichel and Samson and try to build around them? Yes he could but I don't believe he wants to. He just seems determined to shake up this roster and have more of a fresh start. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I just get the sense that by moving some of the prime players who have been here for a while that the young GM is making a statement that this is a new era separate from the failed and stale previous era. Could the GM retain Eichel and Samson and try to build around them? Yes he could but I don't believe he wants to. He just seems determined to shake up this roster and have more of a fresh start. 

I don’t get that sense with Sam. I think he’s the one who wants the fresh start.

With Jack, however, I absolutely agree.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t get that sense with Sam. I think he’s the one who wants the fresh start.

I definitely agree that Samson wants a fresh start.  But I also think Jack wants a fresh start too.

The difference with Jack is, from the teams perspective the feeling is mutual.

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I agree with you that if Sam showed a desire to be part of another interminable building project the organization would want him back. But there are two sides to this coin here that reinforce one another. One is that Sam can't fake his fatigue with the mounting losses and lack of meaningful games. The player's understandable attitude is not compatible with the buy-in attitude he is trying to foster here. And the second part is that because of his history of consistent play his value is very high. This is a case where the player essentially made the decision for the GM.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I definitely agree that Samson wants a fresh start.  But I also think Jack wants a fresh start too.

The difference with Jack is, from the teams perspective the feeling is mutual.

This is what I was trying to say.

19 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Hope to see Thorn and Clement make at least some type of appearance

Not exactly excited about a woman play-by-play announcer; its just such a different feel.

Otherwise they look good, not sure about Melrose at this point; haven't seen him really in over a decade lol.

It's a different feel because we're not used to it.  I think it will continue to grow and become more commonplace and in a few years you won't think anything of it. Just like with male announcers, there are good and bad.  In the realm of women PBP there probably isn't a big pool of talent at the moment but as it grows the best will rise to the top.

I keep thinking of AJ Mlezcko.  The first time I heard her it was different. She also was not good. She was lost, didn't have the flow, the points she made seemed disconnected.  Now I absolutely love hearing her analysis, especially if it means Pierre Maguire was not doing it.  I'm happy she's on the ESPN list.

• Like (+1) 1