Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Apparently we care.  We are trying to understand the rules for the expansion draft.

If you don’t care, that’s fine.  We are still going to discuss it anyway.

Fair point, I deleted my useless post! 🙂

Q: Describe your ideal hockey player.

A: A guy that comes to work every night, shows up to play 60 minutes as many nights as he can 82 games a year, and I love seeing a guy that can play a 200-foot game. He plays hard, he’s good offensively, he’s good defensively, he can stand up for himself. You don’t gotta do everything great, but do everything good. That’s a great hockey player for me.

Q: What is playing the game the right way?

A: You can’t have 13 guys who play real good defensive hockey … and seven guys who are gonna be your offensive players. Good teams take 20 players to win any given night. You gotta be working defensively, you gotta be working hard offensively, and I think the good teams all do that. I don’t think you can say, “Well we got an offensive team here.”

Q: What won’t you tolerate?

A: I don’t like undisciplined hockey. I like to play a hard game and a physical game, but I don’t like to see guys taking undisciplined, unsportsmanlike penalties. And to be honest with ya, I won’t be satisfied if I’m watching guys not working hard on the ice, that’ll be the biggest thing for me. You can work hard for 45 seconds and you can rest on the bench. The big thing for me is when you’re on the ice, if you don’t got the puck, let’s go get the puck. Let’s work hard the 45 seconds, then you can change and you can rest for a minute-and-a-half so. … I don’t like lazy hockey players.

Q: What’s your No. 1 rule?

A: Respect’s a big word for me. We’re gonna respect our players, we’re gonna respect our organization, all the people that work in the organization. That’s really important to me. That starts from the top with our group. It’s not gonna be allowed that you’re gonna be late for practice, you’re gonna be late for this — we’re not gonna stand for that. So, respect everybody’s time and let’s have some fun. I don’t like to put a whole lot of rules in place, but I like people to respect each other, and respect your teammates, and respect the people you work around every day.

Here is Gerard Gallant's NY Post interview when they asked him about the ideal hockey player, playing the game the right way etc.. I love his answers. Buffalo needs these kinds of players and mentality so badly. This guy should have been the Sabres coach. https://nypost.com/2021/06/26/gerard-gallant-opens-up-as-new-rangers-coach/

Edited by Kong
  • Like (+1) 2

“Scoop: Doug Wilson is navigating choppy waters in the Bay Area. Sources indicate significant friction built up between Kane and a number of his teammates last season, frustration that was expressed clearly to management in exit interviews. The trouble is Kane is also coming off the best season of his career: 32 goal and 40 assist pace over an 82-game season. He is one of the best at his position with a relentless forechecking style  – and he’s signed to a contract that is commensurate with that production. We’ll see where this goes.”

Shocking to hear that Evander has worn out his welcome with his teammates.🤪😜

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

“Scoop: Doug Wilson is navigating choppy waters in the Bay Area. Sources indicate significant friction built up between Kane and a number of his teammates last season, frustration that was expressed clearly to management in exit interviews. The trouble is Kane is also coming off the best season of his career: 32 goal and 40 assist pace over an 82-game season. He is one of the best at his position with a relentless forechecking style  – and he’s signed to a contract that is commensurate with that production. We’ll see where this goes.”

and continues to play well

7 hours ago, Kong said:

Here is Gerard Gallant's NY Post interview when they asked him about the ideal hockey player, playing the game the right way etc.. I love his answers. Buffalo needs these kinds of players and mentality so badly. This guy should have been the Sabres coach. https://nypost.com/2021/06/26/gerard-gallant-opens-up-as-new-rangers-coach/

I especially like that part about respecting your teammates, your coaching staff, and the whole organization. I think Jack put on a clinic on how to be disrespectful towards your organization about a month back. Him airing his personal health information and his disagreement showed a complete lack of respect towards his organization (and maybe himself). Regardless on who is “right”, once that happens, it’s time to move on.

I think many of us have been in a work situation where we lose complete respect for those working above us. It doesn’t happen overnight. It doesn’t stem from a big argument. But, once it happens, you can’t even look these people in the eye anymore and you know it can’t be fixed. Maybe it’s like heading into a divorce. You know it’s over and time to leave. 

I didn’t get this sense from rhino’s exit interview though. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Not every player is going to be liked in the locker room. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have a few players who are less than likeable and not very sociable. That's not only part of the sports world but part of the work world and life in general. If the less than congenial player gives maximum effort then that is all you can ask for. It's not unusual that the positive public persona doesn't closely match the private persona. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Not every player is going to be liked in the locker room. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have a few players who are less than likeable and not very sociable. That's not only part of the sports world but part of the work world and life in general. If the less than congenial player gives maximum effort then that is all you can ask for. It's not unusual that the positive public persona doesn't closely match the private persona. 

What is unusual is for a co-worker to be disliked to the point that several people make a point of complaining about him to the boss.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

What is unusual is for a co-worker to be disliked to the point that several people make a point of complaining about him to the boss.

And this isn’t even related to the bankruptcy fiasco and lawsuit against him and the Sharks.  I would be shocked if he was in a teal jersey next season.

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

In an exit interview players are asked about the locker room and about the interactions. That's standard practice.  It's not surprising that a few players are not warmly embraced by the other members. And it shouldn't be surprising that within a group that there are players who are more individualistic than chummy. There are players who prefer to eat alone rather than eat with the group. Some people need more space for themselves and don't want to be crowded. If a player such as Kane who is a full effort and productive player and not creating division within the locker room then I don't see the problem.  What I can say about Kane when he played in Buffalo whether he was liked or not by his teammates he was the player most likely to physically standup for another player. And that is to his credit.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In an exit interview players are asked about the locker room and about the interactions. That's standard practice.  It's not surprising that a few players are not warmly embraced by the other members. And it shouldn't be surprising that within a group that there are players who are more individualistic than chummy. There are players who prefer to eat alone rather than eat with the group. Some people need more space for themselves and don't want to be crowded. If a player such as Kane who is a full effort and productive player and not creating division within the locker room then I don't see the problem.  What I can say about Kane when he played in Buffalo whether he was liked or not by his teammates he was the player most likely to physically standup for another player. And that is to his credit.  

The report didnt indicate to you that the opposite of the bold is the case?

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

The report didnt indicate to you that the opposite of the bold is the case?

Kane is Kane wherever he has been. There shouldn't be any surprises about him. He's never really changed.  GMs who bring him in know that he is not going to win any team congeniality awards. He's a lone ranger. He is what he is and he is what he has always been.  

13 hours ago, Weave said:

More than a little suprised there is no chatter in here about the Blackhawks sexual assault news story.

Hawks screwed the pooch on this one. The fact they swept it under the carpet and he was able to go on and assault teenagers because of it is crazy. Should have been open and transparent and filed charges. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Hawks screwed the pooch on this one. The fact they swept it under the carpet and he was able to go on and assault teenagers because of it is crazy. Should have been open and transparent and filed charges. 

The natural question to ask, then, is why did they do that?

8 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

No idea really. Worried about the bad P.R. On the brand ? That went well for them. Liability ? Now they’ve opened themselves up to more lawsuits so that went well for them too. I would have to conclude that poor leadership at the top is why they did that. Should have called in the police and let them sort it out.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

No idea really. Worried about the bad P.R. On the brand ? That went well for them. Liability ? Now they’ve opened themselves up to more lawsuits so that went well for them too. I would have to conclude that poor leadership at the top is why they did that. Should have called in the police and let them sort it out.

From what I’ve read it was during their run of 2010. Their management didn’t want any distractions and once they won the Cup they didn’t want to tarnish it.

I can’t believe they gave that guy a recommendation that got him more jobs. Sweeping it into the rug, rolling up the rug and selling it off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Money. The teams star was finally on the rise. They weren't about to ***** all over their best chance at a cup in 50 years. Then they win 3 of the next 6. They got all their fans back, they got a new goal song and they became a league darling franchise. Whatever this ends up costing them, I'm betting they'll still come out ahead.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2021 at 12:20 PM, Kong said:

I wish we had the organizational culture to at least interview him and give him a chance.  I am not sure he would have wanted to come here but it speaks volumes about the Front Office and Ownership if he was not approached in some manner.  Not saying I know either way.  

I don’t  buy into the “he is not as good as ‘joe blow’ at player development”, or “not the right coach for a young team”.  

He would make the Sabres relevant and it would not take another 4 years.  If nothing else, they would play hard every night.    Look for the Rangers to be a better team next year.  

• Thanks (+1) 1