Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

5 hours ago, #freejame said:

Before the Orioles let him go he was still top notch. I haven't heard him call hockey in ages so I couldn't say he's still got it there. 

He was hysterical with Baltimore in his last year. He's still got it.

17 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well I guess that keeps all the targets still on the board

And there are only three other openings. As I suspected, the Sabres won’t have any competition for their targets aside from Gallant who so far they haven’t interviewed anyways.

Teams wasting no time making moves......well, except for one. How predictable. I can hear Adams now. "After serious consideration, we hired Jim Nutwagon from North Blowfield, Ohio High School...he was the only one left interested in the job". Welcome to Buffalo Mr. Nutwagon. 

Someone needs to post a pic of what Mr. Nutwagon might look like.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Teams wasting no time making moves......well, except for one. How predictable. I can hear Adams now. "After serious consideration, we hired Jim Nutwagon from North Blowfield, Ohio High School...he was the only one left interested in the job". Welcome to Buffalo Mr. Nutwagon. 

Columbus is the only team that has made a move. Let’s not pile misplaced and premature hate here. For all we know we could be next.

2 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

So it’s not ok to try and interview as many people as possible over the course of the next month or two? I think it is. Even IF they settle on Meatballs. 
Glad CBJ found their guy. That’s one less HC job out there.

16 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e78392aef005f6657d9bc07b50bb63ad.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Columbus is the only team that has made a move. Let’s not pile misplaced and premature hate here. For all we know we could be next.

28 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So it’s not ok to try and interview as many people as possible over the course of the next month or two? I think it is. Even IF they settle on Meatballs. 
Glad CBJ found their guy. That’s one less HC job out there.

Buffalo does this every single time they make a new hire. Always the last to find someone and that someone is usually as useful as a cement parachute. It's the same thing every year. I'll be shocked if they actually hire someone before August. And it will most likely be Meatballs.

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

Buffalo does this every single time they make a new hire. Always the last to find someone and that someone is usually as useful as a cement parachute. It's the same thing every year. I'll be shocked if they actually hire someone before August. And it will most likely be Meatballs.

Cement parachute …. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952e79914eeef107968f1

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

I have the high school grad pic.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

Well I guess the cement parachute part is pretty accurate.

Ron Rolston was officially named head coach about a month after the season ended. Darcy said they were intending to do a full search when they fired Lindy, but he liked what Rolston did as interim coach and he didn’t interview anyone else. A cynic would suggest that Darcy also knew the tank was coming and a sacrificial lamb was needed.

Ted Nolan was handpicked by Pat Lafontaine and introduced as coach immediately after Rolston was fired. No other candidates were considered.

Dan Bylsma was targeted and hired as the biggest name available by an angry Terry Pegula and Tim Murray after they had unsuccessfully targeted Mike Babcock and reportedly thought they had reached an agreement with him.

Phil Housley was hired by Jason Botterill and Terry Pegula about a month after Botterill became GM. It was not thought the Sabres conducted a very thorough search and most believed they were waiting to talk to “hot” assistants Housley and Rick Tocchet after the finals. They did not talk to Tocchet and hired Housley within a week of his being available.

Ralph Krueger was hired after charming both Botterill and Pegula after being one of a handful of candidates targeted. He was named coach about a month into what was believed to be the first actual coaching search the Sabres had conducted under Pegula. Botterill said he was intrigued by Krueger and reached out based on a recommendation by Jim Rutherford.

It doesn’t really seem like the Sabres under Pegula have much of history of doing anything other than targeting people and seem to have generally got who they wanted, with the exception of Babcock.

What Adams is doing is definitely something new.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Well I guess the cement parachute part is pretty accurate.

Ron Rolston was officially named head coach about a month after the season ended. Darcy said they were intending to do a full search when they fired Lindy, but he liked what Rolston did as interim coach and he didn’t interview anyone else. A cynic would suggest that Darcy also knew the tank was coming and a sacrificial lamb was needed.

Ted Nolan was handpicked by Pat Lafontaine and introduced as coach immediately after Rolston was fired. No other candidates were considered.

Dan Bylsma was targeted and hired as the biggest name available by an angry Terry Pegula and Tim Murray after they had unsuccessfully targeted Mike Babcock and reportedly thought they had reached an agreement with him.

Phil Housley was hired by Jason Botterill and Terry Pegula about a month after Botterill became GM. It was not thought the Sabres conducted a very thorough search and most believed they were waiting to talk to “hot” assistants Housley and Rick Tocchet after the finals. They did not talk to Tocchet and hired Housley within a week of his being available.

Ralph Krueger was hired after charming both Botterill and Pegula after being one of a handful of candidates targeted. He was named coach about a month into what was believed to be the first actual coaching search the Sabres had conducted under Pegula. Botterill said he was intrigued by Krueger and reached out based on a recommendation by Jim Rutherford.

It doesn’t really seem like the Sabres under Pegula have much of history of doing anything other than targeting people and seem to have generally got who they wanted, with the exception of Babcock.

What Adams is doing is definitely something new.

Hopefully Adams doesn't wait too long, otherwise we're stuck with Nutwagon as head coach. Just hire Gallant already and be done with it. I'm not looking forward to Carvel's Ice Cream's great grandson to be the next Sabres coach. And the first time he says "hawkey" I'll puke.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:11 PM, Kong said:

My money is on the Vegas Golden Knights to win the 2021 Stanley Cup. It's a matter of goaltending. Fleury is 22-10 / 2.08 and Lehner is 12-1 / 2.04. The Knights have scored 165 while giving up a mere 105 goals all year long.

Compare that to the Sabres goal output, goaltending and goal differential and you'll understand why I posted the photo below.

Boy-with-a-Dunce-Hat-On.jpg

My money's still on the Vegas Knights. (see above from 4/30)

On 6/10/2021 at 6:17 PM, Claude Balls said:

It's because they already know they are going internal, again 

- - - 

Has anyone seen the previews for this Kesler's House show? The next person hanging out and partying with him is Post Malone. He'll have lots of different guests over to his house and they'll play drinking games and table hockey and stuff and watch the playoff games.

Seems fun to me. I'll probably watch and pretend I've been invited to a party for once

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

It's because they already know they are going internal, again 

- - - 

Has anyone seen the previews for this Kesler's House show? The next person hanging out and partying with him is Post Malone. He'll have lots of different guests over to his house and they'll play drinking games and table hockey and stuff and watch the playoff games.

Seems fun to me. I'll probably watch and pretend I've been invited to a party for once

Post Malone is a great beer pong player. Prolly not a big surprise. 

• Thanks (+1) 1