Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When it was announced that TNT would be covering the NHL, expected they would have lousy NHL coverage.  This announcement reinforces that suspicion.

They went for the name. Can he be worse than Brian Lawton though? 

I’ve never heard Gretzky be very critical of anyone in the NHL so this may be a tough role for him. He did call the Devils a Mickey Mouse organization though.

He is well connected, intelligent but he is generally plain Vanilla so I don’t know if he will make a splash at TNT.

I’ll be listening to hopefully gain a nugget or two per game.

55 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

We have better be, Colorado is honestly Top 5 in drafting in the recent history.

Slow down a bit. They are okay at drafting but top 5 is a bit of a stretch. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I hope we’re on the phone the second his contract officially expires. 

All I want to know is who made the decision to draft Newhook. 

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Since 2009 Colorado has had three players drafted outside the First Round play more than 200 NHL Games. ROR, Barrie (both drafted 2009) and Will Butcher drafted in 2013.  No thanks 

I bet this is more common than not across the league.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Since 2009 Colorado has had three players drafted outside the First Round play more than 200 NHL Games. ROR, Barrie (both drafted 2009) and Will Butcher drafted in 2013.  No thanks 

Was he not director from 2014 to 2020? So shouldn’t we be looking at that time period over prior times?

45 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I picked five random successful teams to see how they stack up around the league (I promise these are the first five teams that popped in my head):

Boston Bruins: 5 (Carlo, Danton Heiden, Ryan Spooner, Matt Benning, Matt, Grzelcyk)

Tampa Bay Lightning: 8 (Cirelli, Point, Erne, Paquette, Kucherov, Palat, Gudas, Panik)

Carolina Hurricanes: 10 (Aho, Foegele, Pesce, Brock McGinn, Slavin, Di Giuseppe, Victor Rask, Faulk, Freddie Anderson, Dumoulin)

Washington Capitals: 6 (Sanford, Stephenson, Carrick, Grubauer, Orlov, Eakin)

Nashville Predators: 7 (Girard, Arvidsson, Sissons, Vesey, Craig Smith, Ekholm, Gabriel Bourque)

So turns out I think the Sabres are so bad at drafting that my mind has been warped so have incredibly low expectations.

40 minutes ago, Weave said:

I bet this is more common than not across the league.

For Fun I looked at the teams that finished in the Top 10 in standings in the NHL this year. 
These are players drafted 2009 or later that have had 200 NHL Games 

Colorado had 3 as mentioned, Vegas gets the rookie mulligan. 

Here is the rest of the Top Ten. 

Carolina 9

Pittsburgh 8

Florida 7

Toronto 3

Washington 7

Tampa 9

Minnesota 5

Boston 6

For a team that drafts as bad as Buffalo has, I do not think  He’s a good fit 

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I picked five random successful teams to see how they stack up around the league (I promise these are the first five teams that popped in my head):

Boston Bruins: 5 (Carlo, Danton Heiden, Ryan Spooner, Matt Benning, Matt, Grzelcyk)

Tampa Bay Lightning: 8 (Cirelli, Point, Erne, Paquette, Kucherov, Palat, Gudas, Panik)

Carolina Hurricanes: 10 (Aho, Foegele, Pesce, Brock McGinn, Slavin, Di Giuseppe, Victor Rask, Faulk, Freddie Anderson, Dumoulin)

Washington Capitals: 6 (Sanford, Stephenson, Carrick, Grubauer, Orlov, Eakin)

Nashville Predators: 7 (Girard, Arvidsson, Sissons, Vesey, Craig Smith, Ekholm, Gabriel Bourque)

So turns out I think the Sabres are so bad at drafting that my mind has been warped so have incredibly low expectations.

You’re still beating me to posts 

I count 4 by the Sabres?

J T Compher, Braden McNabb, Marcus Foligno and Jake McCabe.

Brendan Lemieux will get there this season and Victor Olofsson would be if not for the pandemic. Ullmark is another worth mentioning. 

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

I count 4 by the Sabres?

J T Compher, Braden McNabb, Marcus Foligno and Jake McCabe.

Brendan Lemieux will get there this season and Victor Olofsson would be if not for the pandemic. Ullmark is another worth mentioning. 

Each of the teams mentioned will have guys that cross 200 games if another 82 game season is played

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Each of the teams mentioned will have guys that cross 200 games if another 82 game season is played

Wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise, just looking a little deeper at our group.

46 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Those 2-7 round draft pick threads I made I thought shed some light on the “hit rate” of teams in the 10 year span I listed. Sabres were middle of the pack. Not the worst, not the best … for most years.  

Really all depends on how we use the term "hit" 

Zegmus Girgensons is a hit because he's played over 100 games but he's replaceable (yes ik he was a first rounder). 

The Sabres issue isn't hit but impact. They hit but it's like a 2 year old punching your arm as opposed to a team like Carolina that finds Aho in round 2... which is like Mike Tyson punching your face. Both hits with different impacts. 

14 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Given what had happened to baseball after analytics took over people want to be careful how they use this data.

All of a sudden in baseball nobody can score runs. Well gee whiz Beav, for at least a generation of young players you've been emphasizing things like swing angle over contact and not signing players who put the ball in play and hit singles in favor of guys who walk and hit extra base hits. The analytics tell those guys never to hit the other way and never take the single because it's sets up a double play and those are bad. The strikeout is better they are told. So they do that. Then 16 more guys do it too and pretty soon you're deep into a ballgame where nothing had happened. They wanna talk about moving the mound now. How about, just maybe, you stop trying to hit through a a shift every at bat because the guy with the abacus tells you to. How about, just once or twice, you take what the defense is giving you and force them to change? No? Well then enjoy your steady diet of breaking pitches away in the zone that you will continually pull into a shift or miss entirely.

Beautiful summary of how baseball has been ruined by the “home run or strike out” mentality.   It sucks. 😞