Pittsburgh Acquires Kapanen From The Loafs

Brawndo

I think on paper Toronto wins in this trade, but when it comes to winning right now, Pittsburgh wins hands down.

The Leafs biggest issue vs Columbus was their lack of secondary scoring, so moving Kap just makes that problem even worse for them. The Pens trade futures for a 20 goal scorer that will balance out their offense better.

Getting Hallander back is a nice addition for the future. He's being projected as a potential top 6 winger who plays a 2 way game. But with the Leafs in win now mode, once again I don't see how this helps them now.

They do remove a few million from their cap, so perhaps they'll be looking to make more moves than this.

Cmon Kevyn Adams, show us what you can do!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

If I’m Treviling I wait until all 31 teams are done before making any moves.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Yes.  What Pittsburgh did here was haphazard.

This seems logical but OTOH sometimes if you wait you lose the deal.  I would guess both Toronto and Pittsburgh are glad they acted now.  

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This seems logical but OTOH sometimes if you wait you lose the deal.  I would guess both Toronto and Pittsburgh are glad they acted now.  

I see why Toronto was eager to pull the trigger.  That's a haul for Kapanen.  What I don't understand is why Pittsburgh thought it needed to rush to get a third-line winger.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Yeah for the penguins I don't understand this trade, sending 15th overal for a 3rd line winger.   Rutherford really knows how to deplete a prospect pool.

They also sent another 3d/4th line winger and a fairly good prospect.  I hope this isn't a market-setting trade.

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I see why Toronto was eager to pull the trigger.  That's a haul for Kapanen.  What I don't understand is why Pittsburgh thought it needed to rush to get a third-line winger.

I think Pittsburgh wanted a good, young, fast, relatively inexpensive forward who can score and pull his weight on a line with Crosby or Malkin before the window closes on this era, and that's what they got.  I'd be interested to know what alternatives are out there fitting those parameters.

Pitt gave up #15 overall and a prospect who is regarded as a potential bottom-6 winger -- so not a super-cheap price but not a high price either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Does this mean Sheary leaves Crosby's side or does Sid get saddled with the both of them?  If so, Malkin just got a linemate upgrade.

I bet good money the only way Sheary is back in Pittsburgh is on minimum wage-type deal.

Scratch that. I bet good money the only way Sheary is back in Pittsburgh the NHL is on minimum wage-type deal.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

They were just really desperate to get rid of E Rod :)

I didn't even realize you were allowed to make trades with the playoffs still going. Seems weird but its a weird year.  

Adams should get on with it then, but he won't.

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

They were just really desperate to get rid of E Rod ?

I didn't even realize you were allowed to make trades with the playoffs still going. Seems weird but its a weird year.  

Yeah it’s a tricky time. Do you wait for the playoffs to end so you have 30 dance partners or do you pull the trigger now because it’s a good deal.

I hate the Leafs but I think they got a lot for Kapanen plus some cap space. Dubas pulled the trigger.

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

They were just really desperate to get rid of E Rod ?

Technically, you can make trades year round, but to play in the playoffs you have to be on the team's roster by the trade deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29738635/penguins-acquire-kasperi-kapanen-24-multiplayer-trade-maple-leafs

ERod included in the deal.

Basically Kapanen for the Pens 15th overall pick.

Everyone keeps saying that but Hallander seems to be considered at least a reasonable prospect. Weird trade for Pittsburgh.

It's funny how so many people around here wanted Kapanen on the Sabres and now the sentiment is Pittsburgh gave up too much. I dunno, but I guess Pitt figures Crosby doesn't have too many good years left so they hope there's some Kapanen Crosby magic about to happen. 

So I guess this also means they didn't think much of Kahun, or at least that he's nowhere near as good as Kapanen. Interesting. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.