Pittsburgh Acquires Kapanen From The Loafs

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Terrible trade by two terrible franchises. Our approach is better.

what exactly IS our approach? Aside from hiring inexperienced GMs, signing the wrong free agents, making bad trades, drafting poorly and rushing prospects into the line up? 

oh right, also treating the alumni poorly. Did I miss anything? 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/25/2020 at 10:14 PM, PerreaultForever said:

what exactly IS our approach? Aside from hiring inexperienced GMs, signing the wrong free agents, making bad trades, drafting poorly and rushing prospects into the line up? 

oh right, also treating the alumni poorly. Did I miss anything? 

... bad lighting, dead arena, cold hot dogs, stale pop corn and warm beer. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, freester said:

I thought was a great trade for Toronto. Now they have some cap space and a first  round pick they can use to acquire a RD. 

I agree. Kapanen was expendable and there is a shot that Hallander can produce at Kapanen's level. The 1st round pick gives them some ammo for other trades to fix the defense and they cleared cap space. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's funny how so many people around here wanted Kapanen on the Sabres and now the sentiment is Pittsburgh gave up too much. I dunno, but I guess Pitt figures Crosby doesn't have too many good years left so they hope there's some Kapanen Crosby magic about to happen. 

So I guess this also means they didn't think much of Kahun, or at least that he's nowhere near as good as Kapanen. Interesting. 

I want McDavid on the Sabres but if the cost is Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Dahlin and our 1st round pick for the next 10 years.... I don't want McDavid on the team. Price matters and Kapanen wasn't worth that price IMPO. 

Giving the numbers a cursory look, Kahun is a better player than Kapanen. Not by a ton but a little and so this trade seems even dumber now. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Giving the numbers a cursory look, Kahun is a better player than Kapanen. Not by a ton but a little and so this trade seems even dumber now. 

Pitt didn't want to or couldn't pay Kahun's bonuses (and possibly higher than Kapanen's base salary) so they moved him despite a good season. They got the experienced Sheary as a rental and took a flier on ERod. Of course, Sheary had dwindled to a 4W on Pitt the years before so it was odd that they wanted to rent him back for the playoffs. Anyway, they overpaid a bit to find a comparable player (Kapanen) that they already had on their roster (Kahun). But they may have saved some cash to do so.

When you have Crosby-Malkin (for a couple more seasons) you try to go all-in, but basically you tread water and hope for the breaks to go your way. Maybe Kapanen will be the next Kunitz and have a wildly successful ride at Crosby's side.

25 minutes ago, freester said:

I think they might do the 1st + Kerfoot for Risto and us retaining some salary.  Would you do that trade?

Kerfoot is a salary dump so no and I'm not giving them a bruiser like risto and retain salary.    They will take soft montour and like it ?

Edited by Huckleberry

Sheary cost 3mil and Erod cost 2mil while Kahun cost 925k... not sure what bonus he hit that cost more than that. 

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Pitt didn't want to or couldn't pay Kahun's bonuses (and possibly higher than Kapanen's base salary) so they moved him despite a good season. They got the experienced Sheary as a rental and took a flier on ERod. Of course, Sheary had dwindled to a 4W on Pitt the years before so it was odd that they wanted to rent him back for the playoffs. Anyway, they overpaid a bit to find a comparable player (Kapanen) that they already had on their roster (Kahun). But they may have saved some cash to do so.

When you have Crosby-Malkin (for a couple more seasons) you try to go all-in, but basically you tread water and hope for the breaks to go your way. Maybe Kapanen will be the next Kunitz and have a wildly successful ride at Crosby's side.

Kapanen is 3.2 mil

I don;t understand what Pitt is doing trading for Kapenen when they had Kahun for cheaper. 

According to sources, the Leafs spoke to the likes of New Jersey, Nashville, Anaheim, Minnesota, Chicago and Carolina about Kapanen, signed to a reasonable deal at a $3.2-million AAV and controllable overall for three more years (he’s RFA at the end of the deal). So there’s value in that. But a first-round pick?

https://theathletic.com/2022224/2020/08/25/lebrun-maple-leafs-accomplish-their-goal-in-recouping-first-rounder-for-kapanen/?article_source=search&search_query=kapanen

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don;t understand what Pitt is doing trading for Kapenen when they had Kahun for cheaper. 

The Kuhun trade only makes sense if you think about the Sheary trade being a loan to create cap space to optimize for this season's playoffs. Botterill ended up bending them over on the cost of this cap space loan.

My theory anyway

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Apparently a number of teams kicked the tires on Kapanen, then pulled back.

"Dubas also moved out a player the organization had grown tired of, both on the ice and off. Some teams that were initially interested in Kapanen decided against the deal after digging a little deeper into some of that." — Mirtle in the Athletic.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

"Dubas also moved out a player the organization had grown tired of, both on the ice and off. Some teams that were initially interested in Kapanen decided against the deal after digging a little deeper into some of that." — Mirtle in the Athletic.

Was that in the same article? I hadn't seen that but even with just the price tag, I am glad we stayed away. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Sheary cost 3mil and Erod cost 2mil while Kahun cost 925k... not sure what bonus he hit that cost more than that. 

Kapanen is 3.2 mil

Rutherford is incompetent. There’s not much else to say. 

21 hours ago, Eleven said:

I see why Toronto was eager to pull the trigger.  That's a haul for Kapanen.  What I don't understand is why Pittsburgh thought it needed to rush to get a third-line winger.

Desperate to find help for their aging superstars for one last run at cup, I guess. I'd be screaming if Sabres traded away young talent like that. Assuming its good talent 

21 hours ago, In The Buff said:

I think on paper Toronto wins in this trade, but when it comes to winning right now, Pittsburgh wins hands down.

Yup. Toroto obviously has good forawrds, they need cap space for defenseman. Adding young players to their organization is smart 

27 minutes ago, freester said:

Rutherford is incompetent. There’s not much else to say. 

Bill Guerin reportedly wanted Matt Murray as part of the Zucker Deal, with the caveat that Alex Stalock would be going to Pittsburgh with Jack Johnson coming to Minnesota. 
 this is per Mike Russo. 

The Moral of the Story is to avoid Rutherford and His Protégés as Your GM. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Kapanen is 3.2 mil

The bonus applies this and next year I believe, and Pitt would have had to re-sign Kahun. So they moved him out for rentals that would then be off the books.  So if Kahun signs for $3.5M/year + $1M in performance bonuses in 2020-21, then they saved a bit of cash by moving him and getting Kapanen for this upcoming season. I'm not sure how the Performance bonus breaks out across cap hit by season, but Capfriendly has Kahun's bonus at 2.8M. Of course, they could've just kept him and the prospect and we'd have peddled ERod and Sheary elsewhere (hoepfully).

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I want McDavid on the Sabres but if the cost is Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Dahlin and our 1st round pick for the next 10 years.... I don't want McDavid on the team. Price matters and Kapanen wasn't worth that price IMPO. 

Sure price matters that's a given and I will admit I don't know much about the prospects on either side of this. 2 guys on each side who I suppose will determine the long term winner of this deal. People seem enamored with Hallander and his supposed grit is something the Leafs need so maybe he becomes their version of Hornqvist but Pitt obviously thought he doesn't really have enough of what they want and deemed him expendable. 

There's an older trade logic though that doesn't look at all the projections and prospects and just says which team got better now and that is Pittsburgh. The best player in the deal is the one you measure it by and that is Kapanen. If he clicks with Crosby or Malkin and gives them two top lines again they'll be happy for a couple years and thats what they wanted. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

By the "numbers". I guess we will see. From what I've seen with my eyes I'd rather have Kapanen but maybe I will change my mind after a whole season of Kahun. Nothing I saw so far though tells me he's anything more than a 3rd liner. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sure price matters that's a given and I will admit I don't know much about the prospects on either side of this. 2 guys on each side who I suppose will determine the long term winner of this deal. People seem enamored with Hallander and his supposed grit is something the Leafs need so maybe he becomes their version of Hornqvist but Pitt obviously thought he doesn't really have enough of what they want and deemed him expendable. 

There's an older trade logic though that doesn't look at all the projections and prospects and just says which team got better now and that is Pittsburgh. The best player in the deal is the one you measure it by and that is Kapanen. If he clicks with Crosby or Malkin and gives them two top lines again they'll be happy for a couple years and thats what they wanted. 

By the "numbers". I guess we will see. From what I've seen with my eyes I'd rather have Kapanen but maybe I will change my mind after a whole season of Kahun. Nothing I saw so far though tells me he's anything more than a 3rd liner. 

You mean Kapanen and Kahun because, yes you are right on both. 

Kapanen is the best player in that deal but trades are not measured in a vacuum. If the Pens had kept Kahun which is really similar to Kapanen, would they be in the same spot but with more assets? Is Kapanen really such and improvement on Kahun that it was worth giving up Kahun, 1st, Hallander for Kapanen? I am skeptical of that. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You mean Kapanen and Kahun because, yes you are right on both. 

Kapanen is the best player in that deal but trades are not measured in a vacuum. If the Pens had kept Kahun which is really similar to Kapanen, would they be in the same spot but with more assets? Is Kapanen really such and improvement on Kahun that it was worth giving up Kahun, 1st, Hallander for Kapanen? I am skeptical of that. 

They obviously thought Kapanen is better but I guess we will see after next year's play (assuming there is a season). 

There was some sort of rumor about Kahun falling into disfavor with the coach, not doing what he was told or something. You never know the truth of those things but if it was a real thing it could have factored in to their decision. Look at Carolina being better without Skinner (and not getting much for him). Sometimes removing pieces that don't "fit" is important to your culture. Sabres don't really have a culture - aside from losing lately - so we take anybody and hope but we will see what type of player Kahun really is over the season. I'm unsure. 

I don't think this will happen, but if they win another cup with Kapanen's help, nobody there will give a damn about Hallender's future career or remember the name of Kahun at all. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

They obviously thought Kapanen is better but I guess we will see after next year's play (assuming there is a season). 

There was some sort of rumor about Kahun falling into disfavor with the coach, not doing what he was told or something. You never know the truth of those things but if it was a real thing it could have factored in to their decision. Look at Carolina being better without Skinner (and not getting much for him). Sometimes removing pieces that don't "fit" is important to your culture. Sabres don't really have a culture - aside from losing lately - so we take anybody and hope but we will see what type of player Kahun really is over the season. I'm unsure. 

I don't think this will happen, but if they win another cup with Kapanen's help, nobody there will give a damn about Hallender's future career or remember the name of Kahun at all. 

We could apply this to Kapenen as well as shown in the above evidence.

I don't think in the next 2 years the Pens win a cup. 

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

That must be the thinking 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.