Seattle Kraken

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So what are the chances of them having a higher point total than the Sabres in their first year? 

I think the sabres will have a similar season to this year. I doubt that the kraken will be better in the first year. within 2 years after I think they will

The anchor as a primary logo probably doesn't work for an ice skating team.

Patient zero for the affliction of team nicknames without plurals would be the Dallas Tornado  of the NASL from 1967-81.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Tornado

As such, I am glad we avoided  something stupid like the Seattle Rain.

As we are at the next "once in a century" epidemic, I am glad they did not go with the Seattle Metropolitans.

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So what are the chances of them having a higher point total than the Sabres in their first year? 

I'm going to say 50/50. The flat cap will already be addressed by teams this season, so there won't be panic in preparations all at once. Teams (hopefully) learned from the Vegas expansion and will be smarter about it --- no one is going to give up a Marchessault AND trade Reilly Smith for a 4th, for example. And on our side --- we'll have Peak Eichel (TM), Dahlin entering the beginning of Prime Dahlin, a goalie of some caliber, and Cozens with a year under his belt. 2021-22 Sabres should be fun.

24 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The anchor as a primary logo probably doesn't work for an ice skating team.

Unless you think correctly like me where an anchor is a good thing.  Someone you can count an that anchors the team, line or defense. Not this weird boat analogy that everyone is using now to describe sucky players.  Carry on.  Don't @ me or whatever the kids are saying. ?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Based on the VGK expansion deal?  Even odds, although replicating VGK's meme-worthy historic run might be a stretch.

They don't have George McPhee, but they do have some interesting hires in GM Ron Francis, Francis' longtime righthand man Ricky Olcyzk and an interesting cast of Pro Scouts in Cammi Granato (the first female full-time Pro Scout in the league), Ulf Samuellsson, Stu Barnes, Dave Hunter, and John Goodwin.  The owners have also mandated analytics as the way of life, hiring former War-On-Ice analytics guru Alex Mandrycky initially as the Director of Hockey Administration (now as Director of Hockey Research and Strategy), giving her and analytics a say in the vetting of the GM hiring and all player personnel decisions.  They also picked up award-winning analytics pro Dani Chu.  This was all before November of last year, and they still haven't hired a coaching staff- that's how deep they're embedding analytics.  It's a fascinating approach to have perhaps the most data-driven intelligence in the league.

Meh.....they could have done better....The Logo/Colors looks like a reconfiguring/borrowing of the Seattle Mariners colors/scheme.

The name?   Whatever....The over 50 & old school crowd (non age related) will largely not like it. The under 35 crowd will be all in.....generational thing I'm suspecting

In the end its not my team...good luck to them. They are going to need it. I have a hard time believing they will be able to come anywhere near the success Las Vegas has had. If the organization and fans feel that Las Vegas is the standard they should achieve then they will be really disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Edited by KC Scouts

Yolo in Ohio over on Scott's football board had a good name for 'em based on what they chose: the Seattle Karens.  Has a ring to it.  And have this image of a horde of suburban soccer moms filing out of an oversized Astrovan to Liam Neeson's cry of "release the Karens!"  Thier new primary rival, the Canucks in Vancouver, haven't got a prayer. ?

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

The Logo/Colors looks like a reconfiguring/borrowing of the Seattle Mariners colors/scheme.

I'm actually down with the concept of matching or substantially similar team colors from a single town.  Pittsburgh did that right, Charlotte Hornets/Carolina Panthers aren't far off.  Seattle Mariners/Seahawks/Kraken are all navy blue with different highlight colors.  Indistinguishable logos are weak though.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They are on the coast and chose a sea monster as a name, it makes sense to me. 

It makes perfect sense to me.  I am a Canucks secondary fan otherwise, I'd start rooting for them.  Either way, the expansion draft will be fun.  Leave Skinner exposed ? - not likely due to a no trade.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I'd put it at 100%

If we're talking an actual gamblers percentage. I'd handicap it at -$800. Sabres at +$300.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the S should be a shoulder patch or secondary logo and they need a big old octopus as a primary logo but you know what, for 650million or whatever it was, you do you. 

Seattle_Kraken_cover.0.jpg

d92s0jn-95849107-7671-4ed6-af4f-f09ff092

seattle_dribble.jpg

71f18226701591.57510ab74552d.png

Note: Not my concepts.  Some violate good practice "rules" (no words, no sticks, etc.)

Edited by carpandean

1 minute ago, Indabuff said:

Has anyone said the obligatory "RELEASE THE KRAKEN" here yet?  If so, just took care of it.

You're pronouncing it wrong.  The 'k' is silent and the 'r' pronunciationally slides to the middle of the word similarly to the way the 'r' in Favre slides to the middle of the word and that gets pronounced FAAARV rather than Fa- vray as it is spelled.

RELEASE the KAREN!!!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The secondary is nice, though. You've got an anchor, and inverted Hartford whale tail, a Space Needle, and a harpoon head --- all in one. It's pretty sharp design.

I like the whole concept.  Now, they need to follow what the San Jose Sharks do, where, with the ice as a screen, have a video of an octopus moving through the water and catching its prey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.