COVID-19

Indabuff

The science was clear from the get go. Taking the vaccine is for selfish reasons it will reduce he severity if you get it. It doesn’t stop you from spreading. It doesn’t stop you from getting it. 

Maybe you could say it’ll reduce how contagious you are when you get it but that’s not proven. 

What it does do is increase how quickly deadlier variants will arise, and now they have. Sucks to be the people who couldn’t get vaccinated or the children who weren’t really affected much until the more virulent strains came along. The guys who invented vaccines in the first place said this all along, but they got branded as anti vaxxers. Hilarious. 

It was never about the science. It was politics and money from the get go. Anyone saying otherwise is ignoring the facts. Oh, and the people pushing the politics and getting bought by that money are the same ones who funded the research to create the thing (let’s say by accident).

Vaccine should have only been for the elderly and the compromised. Nobody else. Instead here we are, a divided society who is still not actually following the science. Don’t forget to get your tax payer paid booster shot. Don’t forget to buy Pfizer stock 

Edited by triumph_communes

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but was there not an expectation that the vaccinated would not spread Covid? Hence the all-clear on the masks for vaccinated people a few months ago. Delta changed that thinking and gave ammo to the skeptics.

Thing is the Delta and other covid variants are not spread much in Europe because most countries still force a mask policy, once that is gone you will see the vaccines have not the effect we all wanted and the cases explode.

The Netherlands is a prime example of that having a huge rise again with the delta and a no mask policy.

Also I had my 2 Pfizer shots, I took them to protect my parents but if I could have chosen for myself I would have not have taken them.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but was there not an expectation that the vaccinated would not spread Covid? Hence the all-clear on the masks for vaccinated people a few months ago. Delta changed that thinking and gave ammo to the skeptics.

The science never once said it wouldn’t spread in vaccinated. It’s not that kind of vaccine- keeps blood born transmission down but for most it stays respiratory. They tried to warn the opposite if anything. 

Edited by triumph_communes

In Manitoba 80.7% of people over 12 have the first shot and 73.8% of people over 12 have both shots. We are averaging about 34 cases a day with a population of about 1.37 million.

We no longer need to wear masks in most places and most restrictions have been removed; however, I find that over 90% of the people are still wearing masks in public places.

Bomber football games can only be attended by fully vaccinated people and the Jets are saying masks will be worn by fans at games.

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The science never once said it wouldn’t spread in vaccinated. It’s not that kind of vaccine- keeps blood born transmission down but for most it stays respiratory. They tried to warn the opposite if anything. 

Don't know, but when politicians come say in the news with scientists next to them that the masks will come of in september for the vaccinated...

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

In Manitoba 80.7% of people over 12 have the first shot and 73.8% of people over 12 have both shots. We are averaging about 34 cases a day with a population of about 1.37 million.

We no longer need to wear masks in most places and most restrictions have been removed; however, I find that over 90% of the people are still wearing masks in public places.

Bomber football games can only be attended by fully vaccinated people and the Jets are saying masks will be worn by fans at games.

Here in flanders we have over 70% fully vaccinated, but still have to do most young people.

• Like (+1) 1

Sitting on the porch this afternoon and my neighbor from across the street walks by with his wife.  He's walking veerrryyy slowly and she is giving him encouragement. He looks pale, and he's hands on hips like he's exerting himself.  They are about 50.  They stop to chat.  I'm on the porch, they stay on the sidewalk.  He mentions that he got COVID 2 weeks ago.  He said it turned into COVID pneumonia.  I'm not sure if that is a thing or if he got a secondary infection that led to pneumonia. He said he was vaccinated in the first wave back in February.  I'm guessing he has underlying conditions if he was vaccinated in February.  His wife was also vacc'd but she got COVID when he did.  She seemed to be doing OK, but he sure looks like it beat the hell put of him pretty good.

I'm thinking that vaccine saved his life.  He got it that bad with an immune system that was prepared for it.  Woof.

• Like (+1) 7

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You are remembering it wrong. That was the hope, but it was never stated as fact.

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

This.

Edited by SwampD

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Sitting on the porch this afternoon and my neighbor from across the street walks by with his wife.  He's walking veerrryyy slowly and she is giving him encouragement. He looks pale, and he's hands on hips like he's exerting himself.  They are about 50.  They stop to chat.  I'm on the porch, they stay on the sidewalk.  He mentions that he got COVID 2 weeks ago.  He said it turned into COVID pneumonia.  I'm not sure if that is a thing or if he got a secondary infection that led to pneumonia. He said he was vaccinated in the first wave back in February.  I'm guessing he has underlying conditions if he was vaccinated in February.  His wife was also vacc'd but she got COVID when he did.  She seemed to be doing OK, but he sure looks like it beat the hell put of him pretty good.

I'm thinking that vaccine saved his life.  He got it that bad with an immune system that was prepared for it.  Woof.

Yeah some get really sick from it no matter what, also some people just don't respond well with antibodies to a vaccine.
Colleague got flu vaccine few years in a row, it never worked for him, not that he always got the flu, just antibodies were never there.

I think I should get my blood checked for it , see if vaccine worked.  Or not like in Germany where a nurse just used saline to inject thousands of people 😄

20 hours ago, Ducky said:

Are you seeing Delta variant cases?  It is more virulent, especially the respiratory aspect.

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Are you seeing Delta variant cases?  It is more virulent, especially the respiratory aspect.

Yes, we are but not as much as other provinces are. Manitoba has been one of the strictest when it comes to restrictions and rightly so. We were doing the shits awhile back with LOTS of positive cases. We are getting 25-35 a day in the province right now. The place I work has kept the mask rule for now.

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Only 25-35 for the WHOLE PROVINCE?  You're talking Manitoba, right?  Population 1.3 million?

I live in a county of 2.1 million, so about 1.5x the population of Manitoba.

New cases today:

image.png.430dc7a5b0fd24b50c8e7f5b3bdf76a6.png

Keep in mind that even if Manitoba were a real place, it would be much less densely populated than Tarrant County.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Keep in mind that even if Manitoba were a real place, it would be much less densely populated than Tarrant County.

Less densely populated, yes, but they're worried about 1/20th of the infection rate we're seeing?  Hard to fathom.

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Less densely populated, yes, but they're worried about 1/20th of the infection rate we're seeing?  Hard to fathom.

We have approached this thing much differently in Canada.  Our case numbers in most places are very low.  In NS we thought the world was coming to an end when we had 6 weeks of 'high' numbers ... some days we had added about a hundred a day for about a week.  Then we shut it down and rode it out.  NS has just under 1 million people, about half of which live in Greater Halifax, which includes Sunnyvale Trailer Park.

People in Canada - the real parts ... not Ontario and Quebec, where the numbers were actually quite high when compared to the States and Europe ... tend to get worked up about the numbers @Ducky was talking about.  I am concerned that we in NS have added 9 new cases today.  All Delta and all related to travel.  And now we are allowing you Yanks to come into Canada.

13 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Only 25-35 for the WHOLE PROVINCE?  You're talking Manitoba, right?  Population 1.3 million?

I live in a county of 2.1 million, so about 1.5x the population of Manitoba.

New cases today:

image.png.430dc7a5b0fd24b50c8e7f5b3bdf76a6.png

Yes, the whole province. There were 33 cases yesterday. 1,187 people have died from Covid since the pandemic started. 

Winnipeg (over 750k people) usually gets just over half of the new cases.

Manitoba is almost the size of TX.

2 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

There is basically no one opposed to this in NYS.

I wouldn't count on that, I have several colleagues that are upset by this. Sure they're the overall minority but they're out there. 

For example, during flu season we have the option of showing proof of flu vaccination or we have to wear a mask during the season (pre-covid, of course) but now what, either get the shot or lose your job?