COVID-19

Indabuff

If you read the article, they didn't say they would ban people from treatment if they weren't vaxed, but that if they have two patients presenting similarly and only had room for one, they'd see vaxed status as more indicative of a positive outcome, so if you were only going to treat one, the vaxed person would be treated.  We're not to that stage yet and I hope we never get there.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If you read the article, they didn't say they would ban people from treatment if they weren't vaxed, but that if they have two patients presenting similarly and only had room for one, they'd see vaxed status as more indicative of a positive outcome, so if you were only going to treat one, the vaxed person would be treated.  We're not to that stage yet and I hope we never get there.

It's insane that we even need to be considering it. What a failure of every institution in this country if things were to get to "put an X on the ones that are going to die" 

It happened in Italy at the onset.

I agree though:  This is a public health failure driven by our governor whose trying to solve a health crisis with a strong economy.  The two are at odds.

And then he gets Covid himself, supposedly asymptomatic, but he's getting monoclonal antibodies anyway.  Hypocrite.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It happened in Italy at the onset.

I agree though:  This is a public health failure driven by our governor whose trying to solve a health crisis with a strong economy.  The two are at odds.

And then he gets Covid himself, supposedly asymptomatic, but he's getting monoclonal antibodies anyway.  Hypocrite.

I have something I want to say about Abbott and his ilk but I'm sure our resident Neville Chamberlain will come riding in to cry foul, so I will refrain. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, nucci said:

If the people who are not worried about covid or don't believe in the vaccine because they don't know what's in it.....if they get sick and hospitalized, will they trust the medical staff and the medicine used to treat them?

Actually, yes.  https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-08-17/vaccinated-covid-doctor-shot

“Well,” I said, “I am going to treat you with, remdesivir, which only recently received FDA approval.” I explained that it had been under an EUA for most of last year and had not been studied or administered as widely as COVID-19 vaccines. That more than 353 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine had been administered in the U.S. along with more than 4.7 billion doses worldwide without any overwhelming, catastrophic side effects. “Not nearly as many doses of remdesivir have been given or studied in people and its long-term side effects are still unknown,” I said. “Do you still want me to give it to you?”

“Yes” he responded, “Whatever it takes to save my life.”

It did not work.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Actually, yes.  https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-08-17/vaccinated-covid-doctor-shot

“Well,” I said, “I am going to treat you with, remdesivir, which only recently received FDA approval.” I explained that it had been under an EUA for most of last year and had not been studied or administered as widely as COVID-19 vaccines. That more than 353 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine had been administered in the U.S. along with more than 4.7 billion doses worldwide without any overwhelming, catastrophic side effects. “Not nearly as many doses of remdesivir have been given or studied in people and its long-term side effects are still unknown,” I said. “Do you still want me to give it to you?”

It did not work.

great article....thanks

59 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It did not work.

Who are the snowflakes again?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

It did not work.

Excellent article, though depressing as hell.

I suspect the strong anti-vax sentiment has to do with people feeling like they don’t have control over their lives, and fear that government and big corporations make most of the decisions that affect their well-being.  They draw the line in the sand and exercise control where they think they can: what they choose to put into their own bodies.  And they tend to justify that position with a host of flimsy “reasons” that don’t hold up under scrutiny, as that article highlights.  The “I just don’t trust the science yet” view often goes out the window as soon as one’s life is threatened by actually getting sick and it’s time to pick a treatment option.  The issue is that your life is threatened NOW if you’re not yet sick but not yet vaccinated - the same logic applies NOW.  It makes no sense to wait.  The level of skepticism that some folks are applying to this particular vaccine is unique - most of these same people engage in all kinds of equally risky behavior on a regular basis yet have chosen to draw the line HERE.  Why?  Because (I posit) they feel like they’re losing control and status.  It’s the same sentiment that is driving a lot of what we’re seeing in politics and that’s why it’s many of the same people.  I’ll stop there.

But it’s so frustrating. 

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cascade Youth said:

Excellent article, though depressing as hell.

I suspect the strong anti-vax sentiment has to do with people feeling like they don’t have control over their lives, and fear that government and big corporations make most of the decisions that affect their well-being.  They draw the line in the sand and exercise control where they think they can: what they choose to put into their own bodies.  And they tend to justify that position with a host of flimsy “reasons” that don’t hold up under scrutiny, as that article highlights.  The “I just don’t trust the science yet” view often goes out the window as soon as one’s life is threatened by actually getting sick and it’s time to pick a treatment option.  The issue is that your life is threatened NOW if you’re not yet sick but not yet vaccinated - the same logic applies NOW.  It makes no sense to wait.  The level of skepticism that some folks are applying to this particular vaccine is unique - most of these same people engage in all kinds of equally risky behavior on a regular basis yet have chosen to draw the line HERE.  Why?  Because (I posit) they feel like they’re losing control and status.  It’s the same sentiment that is driving a lot of what we’re seeing in politics and that’s why it’s many of the same people.  I’ll stop there.

But it’s so frustrating. 

The majority of them are not anti-vax and anti-mask because they are losing control or status. It is because a certain power group is telling them to be anti-vax and anti-mask. it is a self-built wedge issue built upon a fringe element.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Who are the snowflakes again?

Remember, that was a liberal and/or Democrat (they aren't liberals)l phrase before it was co-opted.  As was "fake news."  As was "woke."

Freeman, don't you dare without talking with me first.  You have multiple ways to reach me.

Edited by Eleven

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Remember, that was a liberal and/or Democrat (they aren't liberals)l phrase before it was co-opted.  As was "fake news."  As was "woke."

Freeman, don't you dare without talking with me first.  You have multiple ways to reach me.

So as the rest of us get executed at dawn, you have a direct line to the governor?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The drunker I get, the more pissed off I am that I could not see and hug my daughter on her 17th birthday.

It’s brutal and sad enough when I get to see her.

It’s even worse when I don’t.

Get ***** vaccinated!

• Sad 3

Just now, Weave said:

AM I the only one who has no idea what this means?

I think you might be.

There was a movie called Idiocracy in which people drank a sports drink called "Brawndo" because "it's got electrolytes" instead of water.  They also attempted to irrigate crops with the same stuff, which didn't work and led to famine.  The joke that Short Term Charisma is making is that we can't come up with natural vaccines so we will use ones made with Brawndo instead.  The joke that Brawndo is making is a play on his username.

Just now, Eleven said:

I think you might be.

There was a movie called Idiocracy in which people drank a sports drink called "Brawndo" because "it's got electrolytes" instead of water.  They also attempted to irrigate crops with the same stuff, which didn't work and led to famine.  The joke that Short Term Charisma is making is that we can't come up with natural vaccines so we will use ones made with Brawndo instead.  The joke that Brawndo is making is a play on his username.

*Facepalm*

I know the movie.  I watched it.  Apparently brawndo didn't latch in my brain.